Puppeteer

Author Topic: Motorsports anyone?  (Read 4761 times)

rl71459

• View Profile
Motorsports anyone?
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:35:19 AM »
As I type this I'm watching a Nascar race..... Made me wonder who else watches, enjoys, participates in whatever Motorsports.

What do you like/hate about motorsports?

Rob

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Motorsports anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:44:52 AM »
what i love? raw power and precision in every facet from the pits to the driver

what i hate? the insane amount of money it takes to even get an entry into the game

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:57:57 AM »
I agree.... Nascar cost's MEGAdollars! I do enjoy the performance! I still love dragracing, even if I may never participate again. :(

Rob

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:52:37 PM »
I'm a motorsport nut ! Love Nascar , drag racing , F1 , Endurance , GT , sportscar , classic , Rallycross (a British thing !) Moto GP , in fact if it's got wheels  and races I like it !!
My connections with Motorsport are quite active , a good friend is a Pro Race driver and is leading a UK championship this year , it looks like he will win it outright. I am over at his team workshop several times a week helping out with prep and repairs and go to as many ot the meetings as I can. Last year he got an invitational drive in the Nurburgring 24 Hours. He had to take a qualification test as all new drivers on the Nordschleife are required to do which he passed without effort. I was with him and he took me out for 10 laps or so and It was the most incredible experience on wheels I have ever had. That circuit is beyond words and deserves it's Green Hell title ! Regrettably the car was out for 4 hours with an electrical problem so the team didn't place very high , but he got fastest time in the car for the team and they were far from last. I had plenty of time to walk around the pits which was an enlightening experience. The mechanical carnage and human effort was epic. Must do it again. Hopefully his success this year will earn him a top drive , he is extremely talented and really deserves the opportunity. If only F1 wasn't so political and money driven , he would easily be able to compete at top level.
Only competing I have done personally is a few seasons of Motocross about 20 years ago now. Enjoyed it immensely but never had the time or money to give it a serious effort. I do track days in my Mitsubishi Evo now , which is brilliant fun !
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:13:40 PM by compig »
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
I found this on youtube a few days ago , a film of the 1958 Coupes Des Alps. Totally incredible considering the conditions and machinery of the time !

It's in 4 parts , this is part 1 , you'll see the other parts in the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVmHt9mBc4
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!