Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cars again.  (Read 21413 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Cars again.
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »
Just done some driving, Exeter in Devon to Canterbury in Kent and straight back.

Total distance 470 miles.

Total journey time inc stops 6 hours.

Average speed 78.3 mph, actual speed mostly pegged at 85 mph.

Total fuel consumption in money £40

@ £1.04 a litre that is 38.46 litres.

That is 12.22 miles per litre.

@ 4.54 litres to the imperial gallon that is 55.48 mpg

@ 3.785 litres to the US gallon that is 46.35 mpg

These mpg figures are at 80 mph on A roads and motorways, up hills and down dales, oh yes, drivers window and sunroof wide open which doesn't help the drag any.

Car is a 1995 Citroen Avantage estate with 4 pot naturally aspirated 1.9 litre diesel, I paid 400 quid for it.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Grael

• View Profile
Re: Cars again.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:43:56 AM »
Devilishly close to a TDI.  ;)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
Guy,

Great fuel mileage numbers, don't take offense, but, I had to chuckle a little when you said it was pegged at 85. Normally I am just shifting into 4th gear at 85, and still have two gears left.

Carl

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »
Guy,

Great fuel mileage numbers, don't take offense, but, I had to chuckle a little when you said it was pegged at 85. Normally I am just shifting into 4th gear at 85, and still have two gears left.

Carl

1/ yeah, I've got bikes too.

2/ the national speed limit here is 70 mph, it is flatly impossible to sustain any speed much in excess of that for any reasonable period of time, you lose your licence, I have found that if you drive carefully and steadily and transparently and leave plenty of room etc etc etc you can push the speed limit by 10 mph and cops won't pull you, but they have to see you and think "he is driving safely"

3/ that mpg figure is at that AVERAGE speed of 78mph... had a 74 shovel that would do 70 mph @ 70 mpg with a 44t rear sprocket, current bike (also a v twin) will do similar, the old Z1 and XZ11 would do mebbe half of that.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

AdeV73

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »
My Lexus is the first car I've owned in 10 years that doesn't have a fuel consumption calculator on the dashboard. It may be due to embarassment, or maybe because if you bought one brand new, you could obviously afford the fuel...

WRT speed limits, 85mph can be considered to be relatively safe on the motorways, so long as they're not busy; I got both of my speeding tickets at 90+. I did recently get a ticket in Spain for 130km/h (speed limit of 120km/h) which was a bollocks. I figure that if they're starting to do that, I may as well do 160km/h - in for a cent, in for a Euro, or something.

Stan

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »
The best I've been able to do in an '05 Toyota Corolla stock is 51 mpg (imp gal).  That's lightly loaded, flat roads, just under 60 mph no wind.  Put some weight in her though and that drops to the mid 40's.  Very weight dependent.
Stan

btw...at just under 60 mph in Alberta, everyone passes you  ::)

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
Guy,

Carl

1/ yeah, I've got bikes too.

2/ the national speed limit here is 70 mph, it is flatly impossible to sustain any speed much in excess of that for any reasonable period of time, you lose your licence, I have found that if you drive carefully and steadily and transparently and leave plenty of room etc etc etc you can push the speed limit by 10 mph and cops won't pull you, but they have to see you and think "he is driving safely"

3/ that mpg figure is at that AVERAGE speed of 78mph... had a 74 shovel that would do 70 mph @ 70 mpg with a 44t rear sprocket, current bike (also a v twin) will do similar, the old Z1 and XZ11 would do mebbe half of that.

I wasn't talking about a bike I am talking about my Daily Driver an Infiniti G37 coupe with a six speed manual transmission

Carl
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:59:47 PM by carlb23 »

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
I once got 62 mpg average on a 92 Diesel Passat, with just me in the car, doing a lot of coasting and some mods to the engine to increase performance... oh yes fresh oild change as well... mostly downhill, rolling stops,

Cheers
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
I drove from Cambridge to Invermere (in the lakes district) a couple of years ago.  It took me 3 or 4 hours on the freeway.  When I got to my little old hotel there, the lady asked me where I had come from and I told her Cambridge.  She exclaimed "OH, such a long way, did you do it all in one day?".

People in europe don't generally have any idea of the distance involved in driving in Canada.  In late April, I drove just over 1000 km 1 way (11 hours,  7 mountain passes) to my son's place in Vancouver, then back home a couple of weeks later.  Then I drove my wife to Calgary, 450 km 1 way (5 hrs) and back home, next week I go back to pick her up and drive home again.  That's 4K km in a month.   We routinely put on 30 K km a year just driving around (not commuting to work or anything)  and we know people who put on twice that.
Stan

AdeV73

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »

People in europe don't generally have any idea of the distance involved in driving in Canada.

Realising that our country is small, we make all of our roads twisty to suit.  ;D And those that aren't twisty, are generally blocked with traffic jams or crashes  >:(

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
Or muckin caravans at this time of year !! Those things should be so banned !!  I drove from Turin to Calais in one shot a few years ago , had every intention of driving straight upto Leeds when I'd crossed the channel to do the whole thing in a day. When I got back into the UK I made the mistake of stopping at a services for a break and that was it , just fell asleep for 5 hours !!  Have done the South of France , Paul Ricard circuit , to Calais in a day on a big V twin Ducati , but was too tired to go any further !! 
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

Realising that our country is small, we make all of our roads twisty to suit.  ;D And those that aren't twisty, are generally blocked with traffic jams or crashes  >:(

I can relate to that.  Coming North on the freeway to just south of Invermere you wheel off onto a small country road and the sign says something to the effect that there is 8 feet of clearance.  Well, I thought that meant each lane would be 8 feet wide, NOT SO, it really means both lanes together equal 8 feet wide and there's a bloody stone wall 10 feet high on each side of the road, not more than 2 feet from the edge of the pavement!  My poor daughter was sitting in the front passenger seat, the one she would normally be driving from.  With that bloody stone wall whizzing by her left elbow, and her right foot planted hard on the floor where the brake should have been she was a nervous wreck.

Stan

AdeV73

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »
Just yesterday, I had to pull into a hedge to let a convoy of tractors (that's farm tractors, not lorry tractors) through the other way, and they were half-way up the bank on the other side of the road!

When I went to pick my Listers up, I drove down one road which must have been 5 miles of single track, with deep ditches either side (so you couldn't even dive into the hedge to let someone by). Luckily, I didn't meet anyone...

Stan

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:59 AM »
That should be a new olympic sport  "Hedge Diving".  ::)
Stan

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:11 AM »

btw...at just under 60 mph in Alberta, everyone passes you  ::)

That's so true. Try driving HW 63.  :o You get passed like you're going backwards doing 120!
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"