Puppeteer

Author Topic: Question for the Canadians  (Read 41068 times)

AdeV73

Question for the Canadians
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
How accurate is this sign, allegedly photographed in BC?

;D

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the Canadians
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
LMAO !!!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:42:01 PM »
We lose a half dozen or so people a year to predatory black bear "encounters".  That's when a black bear decides you look like you might taste good and actually stalks you.  Most bear encounters are accidental surprising both parties involved.

A few years ago a young male, maybe 250 lbs was investigating my neighbours carport for food and I decided to chase him away.  He was nervous looking, not really acclimated to humans, kept nervously looking around, ears flicking up etc. so I decided he wasn't too dangerous.  I started running at him yelling and flapping my arms, but he just stood up (they are amazingly tall when they do that) and tried to find out what the hell I was doing.  They have really poor vision, depending on smell and hearing mostly.  I started getting closer and closer to my "do not cross" line when he finally dropped and ran.  Hopefully I taught him humans are really predators, and not prey.  That's the two divisions that bears know, you are either one or the other.

It's when idiots that don't know anything about black bears and their body language get cocky and start feeding them to get them to come closer to take better pictures that  bears get bolder and more dangerous.

This particular poster is a darkly humerous take off on real ones that are posted mostly in our national parks.  It's partly right.  Bear bells only scare off bears that are not acclimated to humans, and bear spray works, but again only on "wild" bears.  If a black bear really wants you for dinner, a 12 guage with slugs or SSSG is the best answer.

Now Grizzlys are a whole 'nuther story!  :(

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
If a black bear really wants you for dinner, a 12 guage with slugs or SSSG is the best answer.

Now Grizzlys are a whole 'nuther story!   

What is a "SSSG"?  If I lived in your neck of the woods I would not leave home without packing something substantial.  In my neck of the woods we have to worry about wild boars. Just in the last year my land has become infested with them and they are destroying my woods and field, I have tried to cull as many as possible but I have'nt been able to put a dent in thier population.  A female pig can have two litters a year, with up to six piglets in each litter.  There is no stopping these things!  Although not as dangerous as bears, a single pig can kill a man pretty quickly, they will slice you open with thier teeth or tusks and you will be lucky if you don't bleed out before you get out of the woods.  I shot a 250 Lb boar a few months ago and I hit him about 18" too far back, he was feeding when I shot and he stepped forward as the rifle discharged.  Despite hitting him in a less than lethal area, he dropped like a truck hit him.  I walked out to take a look after he quit moving, and to my supprise he picked up his head and drug himself towards me using his front legs while snapping his jaws and growling like a Bulldog, he was trying to chew my leg off!

This is what I carry with me most of the time that I am in the thick, deep, South Georgia swamps and woods.   http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.htm

This thing rocks! anyone that lives in one of the free states should own on of these, it is a light, powerfull, quick handling, well mannered and easy shooting rifle that is good for anything from 80lb deer to the biggest animals in North America.  I have had mine for about three years and shoot it often, and if you reload it is actually cheaper to shoot than a .30 caliber bolt action rifle.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
Must be a load of fun having stuff like that to play with , I really envy you guys over there !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 05:38:07 PM »

What is a "SSSG"? 

Best I can tell, the Shetland Stroke Support Group ;D

I'll get me coat.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
Triple SG  (SSSG) is a 12 gauge shell loaded with several 1/4" lead balls.  It tends to disassemble anything it hits.  Unlike a 12 gauge slug (twice as heavy), which will actually stop and throw back something approaching. 

For bear protection (12 gauge, 5 shot mag.)  I usually load 1 cheap bird shot shell to basically scare anything away that can be scared by noise alone.  Next in line if necessary are 2 slugs which are much more long range, followed by two triple SG shells for close up work (hopefully not required).
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:55:55 PM »
Last summer a bear was in my yard after dark looking for trash.

I was working in my shed and not paying attension and my loyal dog was by my side as I walked out the door my loyal dog gacve a yelp and ram for the front yard ( I assumed she had rocket bottom from eating people food so I let her run ).

The bear was about 4 feet from me and quietly sizing me up as I wlaked to the house and ddin't see it at all untill it gave a snort.

The wife locked me out of the house of course, to this day she says she thought I was in the basement ( life insurance?????).

A bear with no fear even a little black on can be very dangerous when they have no fear of people.

Lucky for me my loud pounding on the door combined with little girl like screaming was enough to convince this bear I was not a good meal.  
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »
Maybe he got a sniff of you Doug.  ;D
Stan

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »
Life can certainly be exciting over there !!! 
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
Must be a load of fun having stuff like that to play with , I really envy you guys over there !!

I really feel sad for those of you that have had you're personal freedoms squandered by you're lawmakers.  I have a really bad feeling about how stuff is gonna play out over here in the next few years!  Pray for us.

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26:32 AM »
My now adult nieces and nephew always like to bring up the time they watched in horror across a canyon as they saw me and a black bear stalking the same deer noises (each other!) through a patch of reprod. fir trees. Fortunately,  I broke off the stalk and crossed the 500 yards of canyon to give them hell for all the jumping up and down arm waving and yelling and then letting a horned deer escape up over the ridge ahead of them selves. But, but, but Uncle Steve!!
I've SEEN just how fast a black bear can get up to speed and move. Since that near miss I most always carry my one handed, short barreled, always goes bang, pull the trigger until you fall down .45 revolver when out in our forests. Legal or not. My bear bell, pepperspray wife approves.
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »
This is what I like to carry out in the woods

Or my 45, with the 12 gauge

The 50 is nice but few places here in Canada will allow you to shoot it here... ranges are not long enough

I remember being in CFB Gagetown and being woken up early for picket duty and telling the asshole to have sex and travel I was not on duty for two more hours....

In the morning noticed bear claw marks on the back of my Armoured Car... glad I did not open the door before I looked at my watch :D

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 04:34:55 AM »
I must say when thrashing through the thick bush like you get in the Fraser Valley, I usually packed the ol 12 gauge fully loaded with sssg, when visibility is only 30 feet or so in thick brush, you only have a second or so to swivel, aim and fire and you can't miss if you're "on the menu", like we used to say.  Never had to do it, but others have.

JENS.....you have more to worry about than black bears on the Island you know.  It's lousy with cougars.  Remember that guy a year or two ago that was mauled by a cougar and he said from his hospital bed that the only thing he'd do differently next time was pack a knife that wasn't a folding one so he didn't have to spend a whole bunch of time fumbling with his knife trying to open it with a cougar chewing on the back of his neck?

I had an uncle that shot a cougar back in the 60's when they had a $50 bounty on them.  It died with a lung full of air and when he picked it up and threw it over his shoulder it growled in his ear.  He threw it down like it was on fire and pumped a half dozen 308 shells into it.  Ruined the pelt, but he got the bounty at least.  I didn't pay attention at the time but I'll bet he had to wash his shorts when he got home.  ;D

I always think of it as one of my failings that I never tracked one down myself (without the dogs).  The closest I ever came was tracking one in light snow up a scree slope and when I got to the top there was his ass print with a fan behind it.   The bugger had been sitting there watching me puff and pant up that slope and then was long gone by the time I got to the top.  If I'd looked up I might have had him.
Stan

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 05:55:39 AM »
I've had to chase bears away from my car so I could go to work in the morning more than once. The only ones I really worry about is a sow with cubs. We usually get bear prints on the side of the house a few times during the summer too. :-\
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"