Puppeteer

Author Topic: Question for the Canadians  (Read 41080 times)

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
Re: Question for the Canadians
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »
compig: And you're also watched by 1000's of CC cameras during the course of your day.   Pretty soon, they'll have cameras in the bathrooms in England....
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
Yeah , apparently we are the most watched population in the entire world !!!  The most hated cams though are the speed detection variety !  The latest type work on average speed over a certain section of road which can be miles & miles !  They are typically used on roadwork sections but are increasingly being used on normal roads. The objection is that despite all these cams road deaths are not going down , just staying static and the 6 most dangerous roads in the country have no cams !! Leaves only 1 conclusion to be drawn !!

DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2009, 06:21:01 PM »
They had great success in lowering the death toll in Australia (or so we're told) when speed cameras were installed.  Personally I'm all for them.  I used to have a 30 mile commute to work and driving a '72 VW bug that liked a constant 55 mph, I was continually being passed by people I'd catch up to at the second or third light in town. 

What really bugs me on the road are people that drive slow and then when a passing lane comes up, speed up so no one can pass.
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »
Hi Stan,

I spend a lot of time in Seattle.  We consider the only thing worse that getting behind some guy with a hat and a pipe is a vehicle with British Columbia plates.  Of course that doesn't happen very often as they're usually doing 20 over the limit.

Incidentally, we speed up because the road supports the higher speed not because you want to pass.  Well in most cases; maybe the driver just recognized you and is trying to get away.  :)

Casey

PS.  I have a hate / love / hate relationship with the cameras.  I do hate them but I am becoming a more obedient (better?) driver.  It makes me want to go to the bathroom and gag!

I'm thinking about starting a drive slower campaign in protest of them.  Maybe we can have a stop on green movement as well.  "It looked like it might turn yellow before I entered the intersection so to be safe I stopped."
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
They had great success in lowering the death toll in Australia (or so we're told) when speed cameras were installed. Personally I'm all for them. I used to have a 30 mile commute to work and driving a '72 VW bug that liked a constant 55 mph, I was continually being passed by people I'd catch up to at the second or third light in town.

What really bugs me on the road are people that drive slow and then when a passing lane comes up, speed up so no one can pass.
Stan

Thing is the UK had the lowest road accident fatality & injury rate in the world BEFORE the 'safety cams' were bought into use. The fact that deaths and injuries have not fallen in real terms really proves that speed is not the major factor. They have just become an automatic tax collector.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
Most of the accidents here on roads are caused by the piss poor condition. Infrastructure is old and not well cared for.

SO you get some clown behind the wheel that at best is not a good driver and add some weather and what do you know an accident. Speed limits are too high for todays roads 90 kph is about the best a normal person should drive considering the state of them. There are those in big cities who drive a lot faster ( he the DVP is a joy to drive on ) and the roads in the nations capital are perfect. Me I live in the real world where you toss food into pot holes to feed trapped joggers and cyclists. If we can;t all have decent roads should we at least not all slow down so drving at stupid speed is not an accident waiting to happpend?

As far as gun control is concerned we have about as strick laws in this country that a saine man could want. For some it still not enough.
Foolish laws like a gun registry have made it impractical for an honest person who just wants to have a gun expensive now. I think its more a tax grab and political now.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 01:01:55 AM »
Thats intense if the roads are so bad that around 55 MPH is a safe max !!  Our national speed limit on main highways is 70 MPH , 60 MPH on single carriageway and between 20 and 50 MPH everywhere else. If I had to drive around at no more than 55 , I would just quit driving ! Just could not cope with going that slow !  Funny thing is , on our main highways , called motorways , the limit is 70 and generally except for high conjestion area's , there are no speed cams !  Generally you will get away with 80 MPH in normal conditions , even passing a traffic cop at that speed will be ignored. Frequently , drivers of fast cars will do 90 - 110 MPH whilst keeping a very keen eye open for cops !  In many area's it's possible to ignore limits if you know where the cops hang out.  I am very careful in urban area's , using my own sensibility to govern my speed to as low as necessary. Give me an open road though and I'll have some fun !  The speed playground of Europe though is Germany !  They  have deristricted Autobahns with NO limit except in bad weather. I was over there last year doing 125 in a maxed out hire car and there were all sorts passing me like I'd stopped !  Friend of mine was there recently in his Lambo , said he was being flashed to pull over at 190 MPH by some nutter in a tweaked Ferrari F40 !!  German roads are all immaculate though.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 01:50:52 AM »
Weather plays a big part in it.

Warmer winters now with more freeze and thaw.

Pot hole crews can't patch it fast enough.

And the roads are old up in the north nothing significant has been done to improve them.

Now add a lot of trucks and the roads realy get hammered up. Freight used to move by rail then they decided to use the roads that I pay tax for rather then up keep on the railways. Closed all those short lines and the old roads suffered more.

Your lucky the UK is a small place and the climate is much kinder to the infrastructure.

I don't think I have ever had my Jetta up to 80 Mph for anything more than passing. I am in no rush anyhow, people tease me abiut it but I don't have to worry about damageing my suspension and I get 6-7 years on a set of brakes lol.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2009, 02:57:21 AM »
Sorry Doug, that post is just soo wrong.  I drive the 417,416, and 401 all the time, sometimes even the 407.. the roads are not bad at all.  The QEW is rough, but still being repaired.  I average 70 MPH on those roads an feel very safe, and I am not a young kid, Im in my 40's.  BTW today all big trucks in Ontario have to have speed limiters to keep the truck under 105 KM/hr... now I feel safer :D

Do I see worse drivers today?  No, the new driver tests seem to be better, still not hard enough for my liking, but better.  We do have too many distractions, be it Sat Radio, GPS or Cell.. thats an issue.  Accident death rates have been dropping with the improvements in the cars... not the drop in speed from 70 to 60 to save fuel... had nothing to do with it, check the published numbers.

Maybe the road up in Sudbury is bad, you do get harsher winters ( how about those record snow falls and the cooler summers eh) than us in the sunny south of Ontario :D

As for gun control, it does not work.  Take away guns like Britain, suddenly everyone has a knife, except the real crooks who still have guns.  your right, it was politics to win seats in Quebec, and is a Liberal tax grab.

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2009, 03:39:42 AM »
The problem with raising speed limits and saying that "modern" cars can take it because of better suspension, brakes etc. , is that the drivers haven't been upgraded yet!!!
Stan

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
Weather plays a big part in it.

Warmer winters now with more freeze and thaw.

Pot hole crews can't patch it fast enough.

Your lucky the UK is a small place and the climate is much kinder to the infrastructure.

The UK has the same issue , probably not as severe as Canada though , which I guess is where you are ?  Some of our roads are dreadful and repairs can be protracted.

Do I see worse drivers today? No, the new driver tests seem to be better, still not hard enough for my liking, but better. We do have too many distractions, be it Sat Radio, GPS or Cell.. thats an issue. Accident death rates have been dropping with the improvements in the cars... not the drop in speed from 70 to 60 to save fuel... had nothing to do with it, check the published numbers.

As for gun control, it does not work. Take away guns like Britain, suddenly everyone has a knife, except the real crooks who still have guns. your right, it was politics to win seats in Quebec, and is a Liberal tax grab.

Our driving tests have now become so difficult that new drivers are discouraged and many are just driving illegally !!  The test is not difficult in actuality , it's just that the average citizen is just not used to anything that needs work to achieve. And even when passed many are still hopeless as they are driving at the limit of their mediocre skills and just hang on for dear life hoping for the best ! Many females cannot park and avoid main highways because of fear !

Don't start me on gun laws , I predicted the outcome of our no gun law. The crims can always get guns , in fact it is now easier to acquire them since the law. Knives are now the second tier assault weapon and are a major problem with many youngsters carrying them for self defence because the fear of being attacked.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
My bear buddy was back last night !! He tore out another moonray and tore open the 16L cooking oil container that I had just dumped my old motor oil into !! Also moved a railroad tie to get at bugs or something under it.. I dont have a 357 anymore but I hazard a guess the 45-70 would fill in fine.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2009, 12:37:52 AM »
Sorry Doug, that post is just soo wrong.  I drive the 417,416, and 401 all the time, sometimes even the 407.. the roads are not bad at all.  The QEW is rough, but still being repaired.  I average 70 MPH on those roads an feel very safe, and I am not a young kid, Im in my 40's.  BTW today all big trucks in Ontario have to have speed limiters to keep the truck under 105 KM/hr... now I feel safer :D

Do I see worse drivers today?  No, the new driver tests seem to be better, still not hard enough for my liking, but better.  We do have too many distractions, be it Sat Radio, GPS or Cell.. thats an issue.  Accident death rates have been dropping with the improvements in the cars... not the drop in speed from 70 to 60 to save fuel... had nothing to do with it, check the published numbers.

Maybe the road up in Sudbury is bad, you do get harsher winters ( how about those record snow falls and the cooler summers eh) than us in the sunny south of Ontario :D

As for gun control, it does not work.  Take away guns like Britain, suddenly everyone has a knife, except the real crooks who still have guns.  your right, it was politics to win seats in Quebec, and is a Liberal tax grab.

Southern Ontario Ottawa ect have great roads. But try and drive from eat to west on the trans Canada right now its aboslutely brutal from Northbay east.
101 is a cow path at best.

Get off the 400  near Orillia and thats the transition zone between good and bad roads.

West of iron bridge the roads were always in fair shape but badly designed and cheaply built. I have not driven them in a few years but if they got rought they are probablty killers.

There are great roads in Ontario and they get finer the closer you get to the federal and provoincial politicians.

Speed limiters are great on trucks but the axcel weights have not changed and thats my problem. Our roads should be reserved for cars and light trucks with as little freight on them as possible thats what rail is for .....

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »
I'm not sure what it is, but the freeways and surface streets in Los Angeles, CA, are all beat to heck.  a 2" pothole in traffic lanes, is common on all the freeways.  What keeps them from tearing a wheel off, is freeway speed is seldom over 30 mph.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2009, 03:41:52 AM »
Guess you missed the line about your ROAD in Sudbury :D

I agree with freight, send it by train... and yes the remote back roads do suck
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...