Author Topic: Identifying Lister engines  (Read 9429 times)

Aussie

• View Profile
Identifying Lister engines
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
Hello, I am in OZ and new to stationary engines and sorting through some 40 older engines as part of an Estate, about 10 are Listers. Some I can identify from David Edington's books but I can't work out this particular Lister ( I am sure the plate is on the back but I haven't worked out yet how to move the engine to look behind it!)

This engine is not in as good condition - seems to be missing bits -  as most of the others ( although no rust and everything turns really smoothly and has been undercover) so any comments on next steps towards restoration/parts availability would be helpful.

Thanks

Aussie

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3323/dsc0120j.jpg

Chaz

• View Profile
Re: Identifying Lister engines
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »
A bit hard to tell from the photo which bits are actually attached to the engine, but the only old Lister I know from personal experience that had a single flywheel on one side was the Freedom, in this instance it would be an FR1. I tend to think though that is probably a Petter.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
Hello Aussie,
                 I agree with Chaz, it could be a (Freedom Range) FR1, the style of mounting feet look familiar. Not sure what is attached to its RH side.They were a well made
motor made for a few years in the 1950's Take a torch, a mirror and a scourer pad and get the serial number on the plate and that can be de-coded to give model, age etc.
                                                                                                                                                                                                Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

Aussie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:05:46 PM »

Hello Guys

Thanks for the advice I found the plate and as you can see from the pics it has FR on it so you were right! Any advice on where I can get more info - old manuals etc? It looks like an electric starter hanging off the side? I have found four old Lister generators one of which looks ( from the mounts) like it was hooked up to this engine.

I have so far identified one F type Lister; two CS Listers (one working); a D; a J; a R and three others I can't get to yet...

Aussie

http://img39.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc0124xpe.jpg

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:33 AM »
Hello again Aussie,
                        You have an interesting collection there!  Looks like your FR1 has been part of a Start-O-Matic genset. The R  in the serial number suggests it was
radiator cooled, and it appears to have the remote control solenoid and an electric governor attached. A sideplate over the fuel pump is missing. If the alternator and
radiator can be found, it sounds like an interesting restoration project for someone. Look up Plough Book Sales on the web for possible manuals, though info on the electrics
may be a bit harder to find. Internal Fire museum, UK, has a subscription service for manual reprints.  Peter Forbes' site at  www.stationary-engine.co.uk/  is a great source
of info on engines in general and Lister in particular.  The Old Machinery Magazine (Aust) is a good place to sell/trade old gear. Wish you luck, Regards,  Combustor.
   PS,  your FR1 was made in 1956.

Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.