Author Topic: Looking for a centrifuge  (Read 37838 times)

rf

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a centrifuge
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »
Hello Middle of Nowhere,

This setup only cost me $60.00 at the scrap yard for a 9" billet of aluminum and about $30.00 for bearings. The rest of the centrifuge is cobbled up from various bits of scrap.
 My brother ( a machinist ) was kind enough to loan me his talent to machine the bowl and shaft.
The rest is just simple field fit fabrication. If interested I've documented what little information I have and share it in the hope that it may be of use to someone... it's not pretty but it works quite well, please no laughing.

http://rapidshare.com/files/341195651/MyCentrifuge.rar.html or http://www.badongo.com/file/7258700

Regards
RF

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 01:26:25 AM »
It's nice. Too bad I don't have a machinist buddy that owes me a favor.  :D
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
Rf, you wouldn't need any bearings if you drilled and tapped your central hole for a C face motor and make it direct drive.
BioDiesel Brewer

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 03:02:29 AM »
Hello Fabricator,

With a shaft drive I can use whatever motor I come across and get the desired speed using different pulleys. I'm running my centrifuge at 4450 rpm. producing 1897 Gs. 3650 rpm. would produce 1276 Gs.

Regards
RF

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
Well, you would have to use a 3600 rpm motor, but if your system is working for you, good for you, do you get oil that passes the hpt in one pass?
BioDiesel Brewer

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »
It is a one pass system providing I clean the bowl regularly, I've had oil so badly contaminated with water/antifreeze etc. that when I check the bowl there's nothing but water inside so I have to reprocess the batch. Usually do 5 gallons about every 45 minutes to an  hour, I run the roid on wmo to run the centrifuge.
What is meant by "hpt" ?

Regards
RF

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:35 PM »
I thought you were running vegetable oil, to test for water in veg oil we do the Hot Pan Test hpt to test for water, you heat a pan to the smoke point of oil then add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, if there are any bubbles you still have water.
BioDiesel Brewer

DRDEATH

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »
He rf is there a chance you could take a picture of your complete system. I am getting ready this spring to start collecting and processing wvo. I had another idea of how I was going to clean my oil just because a centrifuge was out of my budget. If you can please send it to mlisenby.ditchdr@cox.net. I promice not to mass market it. I will be lucky if I can build it. I'm pretty good with a wielder but you can always fill in bo boo's with a wielder. Something like this is a little more critical. Mike
Breast cancer kills. It takes money to save lives.

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

RF

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »
Couple of pictures as promised.
The heater under the bucket is from a Mister Coffee percolator which heats the oil up nicely, also comes with its own silicone hoses and thermostat . If you can't find a junk one there only $19.95 at Wal-Mart.  ;D

RF