Alternative fuels > Bio-diesel Fuel

polystyrene added to bio-diesel (foam cups)

(1/2) > >>

mike90045:
Article at newscientist.com
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17066-plastic-cups-could-boost-auto-performance.html

"One can recycle any kind of plastic, but if you are camped in a remote area, recycling is not an option," Kong says. "Turning plastic into fuel is a way to get rid of garbage and generate electricity."

Kong and colleagues dissolved polystyrene – a polymer used to make disposable foam plates and cups – into biodiesel at concentrations ranging from 2 to 20% polystyrene by weight. "A polystyrene cup will dissolve almost instantly in biodiesel, like a snowflake in water," Kong says, although the plastic doesn't break down as well in petroleum-based diesel and other liquid fuels.

After 5% though, it tends to increase the fuel visciocity and gum things up.

WGB:
Thanks now I have to staring eating at fast food places again! ;D

Veggiefuel:

Biodiesel is virtually a carbon neutral fuel. I wonder what they are trying to achieve by adding dissolved plastic (hydrocarbons) ?

I don't think it would boost cetane, add power, or burn cleaner.

First impression is that it allows them to use the trusty old diesel engine as a garbage can to burn the refuse in minuet quantities.

It would be interesting to see the effect on the exhaust emissions.

Veggie

mike90045:

--- Quote from: Veggiefuel on May 05, 2009, 03:26:30 PM ---First impression is that it allows them to use the trusty old diesel engine as a garbage can to burn the refuse in minuet quantities.
It would be interesting to see the effect on the exhaust emissions.
Veggie

--- End quote ---

Right, rather than trucking waste out, to be pounded into a landfill, burn what burns easily.

lowspeedlife:
Sounds like a "do only if told to & if uncle sam is footing the bill " sort of thing to me. I don't think I would want to "plastic coat" the insides of my pumps, injectors & lines. if the stuff disolves so easily, dissolve it, reclaim it & make more cups & plates out of it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version