Author Topic: Any Conclusions Reached?  (Read 13700 times)

ixtow

• View Profile
Any Conclusions Reached?
« on: April 11, 2006, 05:24:02 AM »
I just ofund this forum a few days ago.  The Government seems bent on wiping out any means of self-sufficiency...  First our guns, now our listers...  this is sad.

anyway...

Has any consensus been reached on how we might get these things into the states "legally?"  In parts?  Make a few parts locally?

I was also wondering how regular car tires would fare as a flywheel.  They're common, and balancing is simple....  For the slow speeds, RPM is pretty similar to driving on the highway...  Just a thought, if bringing in parts was considered an option.  Skipping the weightof the flywheels would be a boost for overseas shipping rates, for sure.

Could we not have many parts here that would suffice?  Valves?  Gears?  Import only those things which cannot be economically acquired locally?  If would give us domestic replacement stock too.  Maybe one of these Builders will work with us for a hybridized design that uses dimensionally similar parts that we already have here?

oldnslow

• View Profile
Re: Any Conclusions Reached?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
Very creative thought, welcome to our/your forum. If you could find any rotating assembly with similar diameter/density and most of the weight at the outer rim, it might work. Semipneumatic tires from a forklift perhaps? I don't think the supply of Listeroids and parts has dwindled down to that critical of a point...yet. Look at some other posts and  see folks finding original Lister flywheels and parts in the UK right now.

Perhaps kits will be the future answer to the EPA thing, perhaps not. I think you can personally bring one in for your own research without any trouble, etc etc. There is not difinitive answer yet AFAIK.

Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

kyradawg

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 03:27:30 AM »
EPA propaganda = justification for insane engine prices.

Interesting!

Are people getting kick backs for continually bringing up the "EPA ban" on the forum?

Dont start none wont be none.

Oh yeah but that lessons the yield of the new found cash crop known as the listeroid.

Come on everybody please please believe that there is a reason to charge 300% cost on an Indian engine. ::)

Peace&Love, :D Darren

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 04:20:46 AM »
Griping about the cost of an imported Lister with in-country parts and technical support is a low blow, Krawdawg.

I think we have a number of good guys here and as readers who are importers who are performing a valuable service.  I'm quite sure not one is getting rich doing this- it's just not enough volume.  If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere or import your own. 

Or better yet, import a bunch disregarding any EPA issues and offer great parts, service, technical support, and sell them very cheap.

Otherwise, please lay off poking our few good US suppliers in the eye.  Some have/are putting out quite a bit of effort and expense on our behalf, and I for one appreciate it.

Bruce M
Snowflake, AZ
Metro 6/1

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:27:55 PM by BruceM »

Doug

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:23:18 AM »
Perhaps it the beer, but I had to read that last post 4 times to get the jist of it.....

Dough!

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 04:25:36 AM »
What Bruce said

Its a free world if you don't like it do something about it instead of griping about the guys who are taking the risk

I have no problem paying someone to do all the foot work to bring the beasts here
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 05:38:44 AM »
i have raised questions re: the EPA regulations, and i assure you i am no importer and am not in the business reselling these engine's.

i am just a guy who after losing it all in a nasty divorce, and having spent about 8 years trying to recover, and realizing that i am not getting younger, decided to adopt the 60's slogan. "stop the world i want off"

wasnt until i was over 42 years old that i read thoreau's "walden" and that book changed my whole outlook on life. i began to rethink my life as it pertains to "wants" and "needs"

after doing years of research, reading, thinking and figureing i have come to the conclusion that "walden" is just as applicable today as it was in the 1840's.

where am i going with this?

i bought 10 acres with an annual tax burden of 22 dollars, is it prime farm ground? no! but it fits my plan.

i dont want no stinking power lines, no phone lines, no nothing from the outside. can i do it? yes and no

yes i can do it in re: to power and phone, and the listeroid/changfa was a central part of that plan. 

i guess i just got a little pissed off that after spending years developing my plan, uncle sam is doing his level best keeping me on the
treadmill. 

am i some sort of nut? maybe.  am i some sort of hippie drop out? no

i am just tired of working my ass off only to have someone else take it away, either in taxes, or in divorce court

as for the importers in this country trying to make a buck, i am all for them. after going in with another guy and buying 22 assorted imported diesels over the last couple of weeks and having to work out the logistics of getting them home from 130 miles away no way am i interested in dealing with a container load of anything, not even hot air.

perhaps i could get a 6/1 for 500 bucks myself, but with all the logistic's i likely would pay more than if i had bought it from the importer in the first place. and with him standing in front on warranty issues it seems like a no brainer to me,

alot like stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.

i am inflamed over the EPA ruling on these engine's, no one is ever going to tell me that the listeroids are contributing any measureable amount of anything to the polution problems of the planet.

it just comes down to one more lost freedom in this country.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

kyradawg

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 02:42:26 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:22:38 AM by kyradawg »

6/1inNY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 03:42:32 PM »
I'm with you folks - I'll be happy to pay the extra money to the person willing to take the risk and headache of importing these engines.  My hope is that someone out there is able to find a way to get these great machines to pass the EPA regulations.  When I buy my next one, I will be willing to pay the extra it took them to get that done.  Face the facts, if you want to find an Ameriacan engine of the same design - if you can find one - what would it cost you.  Look at Arrow - great machine - I can't afford one.  I saw that one seller, Mike, was working on some kind of testing for EPA.  I wish him the best.

Ray
"Sometimes we forget the value of gifts we possess while we search for treasures that are uncertain.  Life should not be measured by its length, but for the joy we receive from it while it is ours." - Mihai Astron

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
Dear Darren,

You say "Peace and Love" with every post, yet you throw derision and insults at the guys who are helping us out.

You realize, don't you, that 2-500% markup from wholesale is normal?  There are exceptions of course, like super markets and restaurants, but on the whole, that pretty close to reality. 

That markup covers, risk, insurance, after sales support, hired help, unanticipated business expenses, retirement funds, and don't forget a wee little profit.

So either do a better job for a lower price, or be prepared to face the ire of those of us who appreciate the initiative these importers are showing.

Finest regards,

troy

kpgv

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »
I'm ALL for the Importers, and RESPECT the heck out of them for being willing to try to work thru this mess (Which, BTW, is Not their doing, but is a consequence of NARROW MINDED ENVIRO-WHACK ABSOLUTISM!!!).
I'm simply not someone who would go thru the hassel of importing one myself.
Add to that the fact that the established importers actually STOCK parts.
Kyradawg has OBVIOUSLY learned everything he knows about Economics and Market by listening to NPR. :P
I generally try to ignore his rants, BUT Insulting and Vilifying my Friends is BS.
I look forward to the day he has something USEFUL and TANGIBLE to contribute to our discussions.

Kevin

fuddyduddy

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »
Thank you Troy and Kevin, well put.

Kur Dog, you continue to amaze me with your complete lack of knowledge. Why do you even post here?

One of the importers  personally spent almost $##,000 to have a fix engineered and implemented for the Indian Listeroids.

What do you think that did to his profit margin, Kur Dog? Hmm, let's see, at $#00 per engine, that would take only 100 engines to break even. But Kur Dog, I KNOW that he did not raise the price of  "his" engines even ten cents for that fix. Is it possible that he REALLY LIKES these old engines? Or, that he even likes the "old school"  kind of people who buy them? GASP!!

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 06:51:54 PM »
I don’t begrudge any dealer/importer for making a profit…selling for what the market will bare.  Those that don’t make the profit…go broke…and are of no value to anyone for anything.  I’d be reluctant to buy anything from a shoe string/ low budget operation…for one simple reason…when something is not right they don’t have the capacity…i.e. profit margin to make it right.  Where will they/you be down the road?  SOL

Joe

Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 07:18:45 PM »
I dont think everyone needs to shit down his throat for one little comment. 

Maybe he was in a grumpy mood, maybe he didn't think about it, maybe his opinion is just different than yours.

No point in restating the same things over and over again - he hasn't continued to "argue" so why are you arguing with him.   Once it's said... leave it be....

Move on with the discussion about using car tires as flywheels etc....
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

fuddyduddy

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »
Yup, almost agree perfectly; except for this:

Baby birds learn awfully quickly when Daddy or Mommy is dumping their poopers over the edge of the nest that it isn't food, and you don't mess with them then.

That person hasn't learned this yet, and those of us who TRULY care are trying to help baby bird learn. It is obvious that the only way
is by doing exactly what you said, trigzy, so even if you DON't care, we do.

It is sad that all too often today, we give our baby birds everything, and they never learn, because they never have to pay the price.

Glad I wasn't YOUR baby bird.