Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ideal running temp for ST3  (Read 18037 times)

nuttyprofessor

• View Profile
Ideal running temp for ST3
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
Hi Guys,

Winters here now in France, minus 4 last night.

As some of you already know I have an ST3 supplying electric to my cabin, other than a very sooty exhaust I've had absolutly no problems with it for over a year. The genny is in a sealed hole in the ground with fans supplying air for cooling etc. Its very hot here in the summer so I have a very good system for keeping it cool but now I'm wondering if its running to cold.

The temperature of the air entering the cooling intake is around 16 degrees C. I was told back in the summer that this figure should not exceed 40 c but given no minimum.

What is the ideal temperature ?

The genny has started to struggle starting since the weather has got colder (it started fine last winter at upto minus 18)

I'm gonna give it the once over today so might have more details later.

Thanks for any replys

Andy
If it ain't broke tinker with it anyway!
Lister ST3 coupled to Brush alternator
Gravity defying lawnmower
30 year old 1.5 ton mini digger
Mitsubishi Evo 1
And a stunning wife who puts up with all my junk!

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Ideal running temp for ST3
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
Cold weather starting problems are not unusual. The easiest way to make it start better is to add an air pre heater. Modern diesel car, boat and truck engines use them if they don't use glow plugs.
Just shop around and find one that fits your air intake reasonably well, then install it and wire it to the starter relay.
then when you push the start button (from inside the cabin?) the intake air will be preheated and the engine will start much quicker. We added one to a Volvo sailboat engine a couple of years ago and it makes all the difference.
As for cold air at the intake, the engine should be able to tolerate the cold air, but you can optimize this by running a portion of the warmed air leaving the engine back into the cool air intake.
I would not restrict the cooling air flow. You need to keep the Mass Air Flow thru the engine at the normal rate. Use a thermometer, like you have been doing to measure cooling air in and out temps to prevent damage.
As the engine gets old and wears out, the compression will get lower and starting will be more difficult. Naturally you will notice it more in cold weather. That's the engine telling you to order a rebuild kit and plan your work.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »
With your sooty exhaust you should check for carbon build up in the exhaust system that could be a serious restriction on the exhaust gases and cause starting problems.

nuttyprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »
Thanks for comments, I've had no internet for days so haven't been able to post a reply.

The exhaust is fine, thanks to comments from members on here I discovered that it was to long, I built a shorter system back in the summer and haven't had a problem since.

I managed to get my hands on a 24volt lorry pre heater and solenoid (didn't think the starter one looked upto the job) Didn't have a choice on size or shape so todays project is to fit a large SQUARE pre heater into a smaller ROUND hole, wish me luck, I let you know how things turn out.

One of my lakes is completly frozen and there's a good couple of inch's of frozen snow on the ground so its going to be a day of extreamly cold hands.

Thanks again for help. Andy
If it ain't broke tinker with it anyway!
Lister ST3 coupled to Brush alternator
Gravity defying lawnmower
30 year old 1.5 ton mini digger
Mitsubishi Evo 1
And a stunning wife who puts up with all my junk!