Puppeteer

Author Topic: War against the Oil Cartels of the Planet Earth  (Read 10101 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
War against the Oil Cartels of the Planet Earth
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:10:50 AM »
I was just over cruising generators and got caught up in a post by Jens.  Rather than having a dual interest thread I came over here to get this one started.  I'd be really interested in how you're doing in the war against the tidal wave wealth transfers to the oil cartels of the world.

I’d like you to disclose the following information:

1.  KWH daily average usage?
         We’re at about 60 KWH per day.
   2.  Your rate?
         Down to 33 cents USD per KWH.
   3.  What’s your latest weapon against in the war against wasteful power usage?
         Turning the hot tub off.
   4.  What device, behavior or change has made the biggest impact on your usage?
         It wasn’t turning the solar hot water heater off!  I’m still dismayed.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: War against the Oil Cartels of the Planet Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »
1)  8-9

2) 9.8p

3) Evacuated tube water heating.

4) The 'off' switch

Regards, RAB

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:14:43 PM »
1/ 5.4

2/ £0.15  (who is yr provider RAB ??!! )

3/ No standby use and low energy lighting.

4/ Turning off discipline.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »
OOPs!  Bill was from a year ago.  Will update in the next couple of days or so.  Expecting the next bill very shortly.

RAB

Stan

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:09:50 PM »
1.  KWH daily average usage?  18.6 from Jan 6 to Mar 4th  (58 days)

2.  Your rate?   $0.05980  or effectively 6 cents per kwh for the first step.  Don't know about the 2nd step, it's higher but we've never used that much.

3.  What’s your latest weapon against in the war against wasteful power usage?  Vigilance (turning off unnecessary useage)

4.  What device, behavior or change has made the biggest impact on your usage?  More insulation and caulking on an older house.

That's only part of the story though.  Our price for electricity is regulated by an "outside agency" which must approve rate hikes.  So to get around that,
the power company has instituted an "innovative Clean Energy Fund Levy" and a "Basic Charge", as well as a "Rate Rider" charge.  Don't know what they
are for, but they add up.
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
Wow Stan,

You’re paying effectively about 5 cents USD a KWH and you're not heating with electricity?  Get down to The Great Wall of Chinamart and buy a couple of those most excellent made at home space heaters.  Remember; Once that water goes over the damn it's gone forever.  How’d he know, you ask?  Hydroelectric is the only way you can get 5 cent a kilowatt power in the new world.  And Stan lives in snow country where you don’t heat a house electrically with a measly 20 KWH per day consumption statistic.

Is my guess that you pounds sterling people are using atomic heat exercitation of the molecules to generate your electricity valid?  .15 pounds is about 22 cents USD.

In my house “off” is spelled “ffo” or is absolutely meaningless.  “Habits are a pleasure to do” is one of my favorite mantras and I do believe the off button is one of the most effective tools against oil money subsidized terrorism.  I know it doesn’t stack up very well against landing on an aircraft carrier in a jet fighter and declaring the war is won but have you seen the streets of Dubai.  They ain’t the least bit concerned about terrorist hijackers.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

AdeV73

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »

Is my guess that you pounds sterling people are using atomic heat exercitation of the molecules to generate your electricity valid?  .15 pounds is about 22 cents USD.

It's not called "Rip-off Britain" for nothing you know. We've got 650 politicians pockets to pad (currently to the tune of over £100million in expenses alone, every single year - that's in total, not per politician - most of which goes on buying 2nd & 3rd homes so said politicians can retire to a life of luxury when they're finally kicked out of office). EVERYTHING is expensive here, partly because we're an island (so most things are imported), mostly because we've got a scandalously spendthrift government who've been hosing money away like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Here's why: http://burningourmoney.blogspot.com/2006/09/government-debt-still-wildly.html (follow the links to find out where the £1.8 trillion figure comes from - it's scary)

Oh, and the pension system's going to kill us all too: http://burningourmoney.blogspot.com/2006/04/scary-pensions-numbers.html

Warning: If you're from the British side of the pond, the above links may cause stress, heart attacks and death.

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
1. 5.78 average.

2. 16.14p (I'm now looking for a better deal)

3. Turn it off.

4. Low energy bulbs, Ramoska cooker.

LowGear, how on earth are you using 60 KWH a day?? that's ten days supply for me.  :o :o

Rob

I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »
1) 11 KWH per day averaged over the last 10 months.

2) ~18.9 cents per KWH total. That includes all the additional charges and taxes.

3) I turned off my 2nd refrigerator. I’m real close to being out of inexpensive options here. I began making my house more efficient when I moved in 15 years ago.

4a) Several years ago I moved my woodstove from the basement to the living room. There is more of a mess with dust and wood chips but even in the depths of winter I can go for weeks without any other heat if I’m gone for less than 10 hours a day. In that mode the oil furnace is off except for 1 shower a day. All other hot water comes from a pot on the wood stove. I’ll do laundry on weekends with Listeroid hot water and electricity. My last fuel oil fill up was 310 gallons and that was for 3 full years in upstate NY.
4b) Last summer I got an 85 MB 300D running on wvo. I can only run wvo when temps are above 35°f but plan on using it as much as possible this summer.

IMO in order to save money and energy it must be somewhere in your thoughts at all times. There are literally 100s of things I do. My ability to fix and build things for myself has probably been my biggest money saver over the years.

Thanks, Geno
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:49:47 PM by Geno »

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
   1. 1,130 kwh for 29 days =  38.9 kwh per day.this was minimum usage this year.  max usage in last 12 months 1,656 kwh. average usage in last 12 months 1,357 kwh.
   2.  This part get confusing, likley on purpose:  
           Distribution services    
       .026 for first 300 kwh
       .023 for over 300 kwh
          Electricity Supply Services
       .055 for both under & over 300 kwh per kwh
          Power Cost Adjustment charge
       .0396 for both under & over 300 kwh per kwh

sooo:
         for the first 300 kwh .120 cents per kwh
         for all over  300 kwh .118 cents per kwh
   3. Purchase of a pellet heating stove 2 years ago, but pellets have gone up $120.00 to $150.00 per ton this year.
   4. having my two step children move out this year, no more 30 to 40 minute showers YEAH!!!

This is for an all electric house including hot water & 20 amp 240v well pump.
  in fairness I belong to an electric cooperative & each year I get a rebate of approximately $80.00. The cooperative is a not for profit entity & "profits" are redistributed back to the "owners"  known as the users of the service. The house is 30 years old & not well insulated though I have been working on that & getting new windows.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Guys, the initial high unit cost is to cover the 'standing charges' of the infrastructure.  It don't matter a jot if you use just those base units or lots more (except for tiered tarifs which rise for heavy users).

So the cost is per unit , not averaging out the bill.  During the Summer months I have nearly all my breakfast cooking on the cheap night rate.  Sarny for lunch is the order of the day.  Suits me.  J likes to cook an evening meal.  I encourage her to use the gas, rather than the 'lectric oven, but it falls on deaf ears.

Regards, RAB

Stan

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »
HI Casey...Nope, still cheaper to heat with natural gas (sorry, for the 1 or 2 guys who believe in global warming  :-X) than electricity here in BC.  I do have a pellet stove I forgot to mention and 60% of my heat derives from that.  It is significantly cheaper than nat. gas and carbon neutral to boot!  Not too much incentive to go off grid.

Stan

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
Careful with pellet stove.  In my area there was house fire that was caused by 1 year old pellet stove.

Cheers, Wizard

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
   1.  KWH daily average usage?
         We use around 28 KWH per day we generate around 34Kwh per day.

2.  Your rate?
          0.000 We generate all of our own power using PV's and a Wind turbine.

3.  What’s your latest weapon against in the war against wasteful power usage?
        I designed and installed two solar air heaters for a total of around of 150 square feet of collector area.
        We use an air source heat pump for heat in the winter.

4.  What device, behavior or change has made the biggest impact on your usage?
         Addition of PV's, wind turbine, solar air heaters and CFL's .

PS.  We are grid tied and sell our energy credits at the end of each year.

Carl

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
Hi Carl,

Please relist your link.  Remember, Carl lives in New Jersey which isn't all that far from New York City.  Isn't it amazing that at that latitude, almost 40 degrees, he can net zero his electricity.  Cheers! 

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator