Puppeteer

Author Topic: EPA reg's, i got questions?  (Read 3126 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EPA reg's, i got questions?
« on: April 10, 2006, 05:54:40 AM »
i have been pouring over countless EPA literature as it pertains to diesel engine compliance.

a few questions if i might

1.  engines (listers, petters, changfa's) manufactured, and purchased before jan, 1 2006:

are these units grandfathered in? or does one have to prove they were in operation before the jan 1, 2006 date to be grandfathered in?

2.  who is working on trying to make these engines compliant? is there any real hope of doing so?

3.  what will the alternatives be if these engines cannot be made compliant?

4.  what about the "12 month" excusion? is it legit?

the reason i am asking is to get some dialog, and a better understanding as to where this is going or rather where it has gone.
is the era over? 

i see most of the suppliers, in this country are out of stock, are they giving up? never to sell  these engines again?

i feel molested, screwed and generally abused :(

anyone shed more light on this subject?

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

solarguy

• View Profile
Re: EPA reg's, i got questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »
If you do a search of this site, you will find that this topic has been discussed at length.

In a nutshell:

A number of suppliers just threw in the towel.  Too much hassle and I can't blame them.   :'(

Several suppliers are thinking about strategies for getting these engines epa compliant, like Mike Montieth and George at Utterpower.com.   ;D

A number of us anarchists realized there was no prohibition on importing parts.   ::)

You know, like a crancase, a crank, a cylinder, a head, piston assbly, etc.  and discreetly thumb our noses at the nice folks at the epa.  This would actually simplify the process for most of us, since the engines almost universally require disassembly for cleaning and removing of retained sand, improper assembly, etc.  This might save us a set of bearings and rings which often get chewed up by the demo run done over in India.

And of course, Hotater's Idea, along with Mr. Lister, is to buy a bunch of original English Listers, which are not prohibited in any way, and ship a container load of them over here, overhaul/freshen and again discreetly thumb our noses at the beaurocrats. :P

If I recall, part of the nastiness is that if you overhaul a stationary engine, even an old english one, you could lose your grandfathered status and be required to bring things up to spec, tier I, or tier II, or whatever is in force at the time.

Don't the beaurocrats have anything more useful to do???

So we're not out of the game, but it is definitely a whole new ballgame.

Good luck and have fun!

troy
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 07:04:53 PM by solarguy »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »
i just never thought i would see the day that i would be made to feel like a drug dealer, in that my obsession with single cylinder diesels would be so restricted as to make them unavailable to me or those that are likeminded.

i would like to think of myself as a "law abiding" citizen. i never understood those that trafficed in drugs, or those that were gun or rum runners,  but i am beginning to understand the thinking as it relates to this new problem.

not saying i would traffic in illicit diesel engines, but don't ask me to jury duty in a case envolving some guy that is caught smuggling these engine's. i would aquit in  heart beat, and pat him on the back.

i guess it would be a bit difficult to get a lister in your undershorts and thru a metal detector at the airport.... :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 12:49:52 AM »
Does anyone have a  link to the actual EPA regulation documents?

Emerald