Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lights out!  (Read 24318 times)

Stan

Lights out!
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:50:16 AM »
Well....Did everyone that is concerned about climate change turn their lights out to send a message to your local politicians that you are concerned and that they better do something about it?  I did!  :)
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Lights out!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
Not me Stan, I was too busy cleaning my Polar Bear gun.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/56861

SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Stan

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
It had better be a big one!  A friend of mine (next farm over) up in Dawson Creek held the guiding territory around us and used to take black powder guys out for a special hunt for 2 weeks before the regular season started.  He and another guide friend of his went together one day with a black powder guy who suprised and shot a grizzly through the neck.  The grizzly charged and both guides emptied their very high power rifles into the bear which only died less than 10 feet from the feet of the black powder guy who was madly trying to reload (I'd bet he needed a change of shorts though  ;D ) My buddy is convinced that if only one of them was out that day with the black powder guy, they would both have been "on the menu" as he puts it.

As a result my buddy only carries a 12 guage pump now loaded with slugs and triple aught shells which when loaded with 5 in the magazine can chop down trees as well as bears.
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:48:26 PM »
It's a contender carbine in .375 JDJ a custom cartridge capable of bringing down african elephant with one shot. the guy that designed the cartridge ,J.D. Jones, took a charging african elephant with a shot to the forehead, using a 300 grain "solid" bullet that passed completely thru the brain case & lodged 10 inches into the animals neck. so the gun will do the job, I just have to do my part since it is a single shot rifle.
If you are smart you never hunt dangerous game with out "back up" thats just stupid!

forgot to mention that the gun J.D. used to take that elephant , it was a 10 inch barreled pistol !!
    SR.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:17:47 PM by lowspeedlife »
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Stan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »
The problems with trying to stop a charging grizzly, is that it can go from 0 to 40 mph in two shakes of a lambs tail.  When they charge, they charge head down, with it bobbing up and down at least a couple of feet, several times per second.  Getting a successful head shot is practically impossible.  They are also overloaded on adrenaline and can keep going dead for several seconds on "autopilot", enough time to kill at least a couple of men.  At 40 mph, weighing several hundred pounds, you need a LOT of mass to actually stop (not kill) this bear.  This is why there are so many stories of hunters becoming prey at the hands of grizzlys.  Many relatively narrow bullets, no matter how fast, can pass cleanly through a charging bear like this without affecting it's charge much.  Some of my buddies in the ham club provided communications for search and rescue and RCMP for this first story that happened just 3 hours North of us here in Kimberley.

I would imagine hunting a polar bear would be a similarly dangerous job as they are supposedly bigger and meaner than grizzlys. (not to mention rarer  ;)
Stan

http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/think_grizzly/C41/L41/

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
Polar bears heads are also smaller, more tapered than grizlly bears big blockey head, making a head shot more difficult. again, another reason not to hunt dangerous game without back up, that & polar bears consider anything, that is not snow, as food.

SR
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Stan

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
Actually there are a few black bears up around the rockies here that consider tourists to be food.  We usually lose a couple a year (tourists that is).
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
Yea, more people killed in the lower 48 by black bears than almost anything else, partly cause there are so many, partly cause people thing they are "cute" & "cuddly" so the fools try to get close to them & get eaten. it used to be this sort of thing kept the shallow end of the gene pool pretty empty, see what "progress" brings? LOL.

SR.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

abbamovers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
Yea, more people killed in the lower 48 by black bears than almost anything else, partly cause there are so many, partly cause people thing they are "cute" & "cuddly" so the fools try to get close to them & get eaten. it used to be this sort of thing kept the shallow end of the gene pool pretty empty, see what "progress" brings? LOL.

SR.

Well, I watched Discovery Chanel's show " Feeding Frenzy " about the bears and some African lions.
Some guys plopped themselves in a very strong Lexan cube and placed some yummy treats outside to film what happens, sort of like the land version of a shark cage.
They later placed some human dummies outside the cube with them in it and filmed that too.
They wanted to see if harsh language would dissuade the bears from eating their "dummy" chained down friends.
No dice, the bears grabbed said dummy and took it into the bush and ripped it apart until they realized that plastic was not very tasty.
It was interesting to see how they fed though.
They like to pounce up and down on their food to crack the ribcage and  can they run fast from a standing start.
So it seems playing possum would not be a good idea.
From what I gathered most "tourists" or joggers usually stumbled upon a mother bear and her cubs and they got caught in between.
And the others, well hunger would place us on the menu.
Quite eye opening for a city slicker like me in Southern Ontario.

I'd definatly want a 12 guage and as backup perhaps a loyal dog that could buy me some time/warning if I'd be venturing anywhere in the back country.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
Interesting that they would even think that "harsh language" would dissuade a bear or lion from eating someone, goes back to my last comment about the shallow end of the gene pool.
Now moving back to the actual topic of this thread: I just heard that his "Highness the ecogod" Al Gore did not even think it worthwile to turn his lights off on saturday night. Reminds me of last summer when he came to D.C. to speak about "global warming" oops, excuse me, "climate change" he was driven into town in a convoy of limousines & SUV's that were left running outside for hours while he "spoke" about how bad things were & how soon  we will all be treading water as the ice melts & the bears drown. I believe this qualifies him as either a hyopcrite or a liar, or both. How typical of liberal elites "do as i say not as i do"!!

SR
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
When the world leaders stop talking complete bollix I might begin to take “global warming” seriously, but I doubt it. As a young man way back in the 60’s the talk of the day was global freezing, and if you study the facts now, the Earth is once again cooling.
I hope my spelling is correct just incase Mr Spell Check reads it.  ;D ;D
Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:46:38 AM »
Ratman, you can't bring facts into this, that would just screw up the "models" the global warming alarmists have designed. The whole movement is based on "touchy feely", the facts don't matter, the end result dosen't matter, only the good intentions of those pushing the movement matter.

Up until the 1970's the media would cycle back & forth about every 20 to 25 years from global warming (they didn't use those words) to global ice age scenarios, it just depended what decade you were in as to if we were going ot freeze or fry.
    SR.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Stan

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »
Lowspeed....I talked to a national park superintendent awhile back and he mused that in the lunchroom back at the parks office, they had just been discussing a denizen of Calgary that had stopped his car on the highway, after seeing a black bear begging, and persuaded his wife to go and try to "hand feed" the cute mother bear while he filmed the whole thing with their hi-def video camera. 

Luckily the parks people saw the whole episode begin to unfold and scared the bear away with "bangers".  After taking the particulars from the numbskull tourist for prosecution purposes they let him go.

The conversation back at the parks office centered around shooting the tourist with a tranquilizer dart, hanging a radio collar around his neck, sending him by truck back to Calgary and then if he wandered back into the park, shooting him with the 300 mag they use to put down renegade animals.

I thought it was a great idea, kind of ironic.
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:50:03 AM »
Stan that is tantamount to murder where i come from, any one who would send his wife to feed a wild animal while he filmed the carnage from a distance!  uhh, where was that park again? ;D ;D

SR.

Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
Ratman, you can't bring facts into this, that would just screw up the "models" the global warming alarmists have designed. The whole movement is based on "touchy feely", the facts don't matter, the end result dosen't matter, only the good intentions of those pushing the movement matter.

Up until the 1970's the media would cycle back & forth about every 20 to 25 years from global warming (they didn't use those words) to global ice age scenarios, it just depended what decade you were in as to if we were going ot freeze or fry.
    SR.

Thanks Lowspeed, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my thinking on this one. ;D
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.