Puppeteer

Author Topic: Water injection to clean combustion chamber ?  (Read 25131 times)

Ratman

• View Profile
Re: Water injection to clean combustion chamber ?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »
You say the wonder of electronics; the problem was probably that you could not spell it.  If you can't spell it you have little chance with either water or injection :).

Hmmmm ..... so you are saying that it would be more likely that I mis-spell both 'water' and 'injection' without noticing it when there are only two words in the search box?  You must have a pretty low opinion of me :(  Even worse, you think this is more likely when this site is known to be flaky and up/down like a jo-jo.

Jens

I have to say I too thought it was a bit harsh and unnecessary.  90owner seems to be cruising for a bruising ;D ;D
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »
Well, since we are on the subject of spelling:  do you suppose ronmar meant "float bowl" instead of "float bowel" a few posts back?!  :)  ;D :D   A doctor couldn't let that go by....

OK jens, let's hear your results w/ water misting.  Real scientific results!  :)   I'm just interested because the producer gas from my wood gasifier can be pretty steamy depending on the water content of the wood.   Maybe, just maybe, it will clean my engine and not just provide free fuel???

Marcus
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 06:33:26 AM »
Jens,
re:Seardh facility

Try it again.  IF you put in "water injection" with a speling eror you will likly get nill hits.  Simple and fairly obvious.  One error is more than enough. 

If you left out the " ", you would have got hits on the correctly spelled word or words. 

Simple, most likely explanation.  Much more likely than blaming the site.

Scientific experiment

You have a twin.  Remove inlet manifold and replace with separate ones for each cylinder.  Operate water injection on one cylinder for a time.  Remove heads and compare.  If a difference, refit with the water injection on other cylinder and repeat experiment to demonstrate/prove it was the water and not the cylinder.

Alternatively fit the warer infection so that it is definitely only inducted into one cylinder and repeat as above.

RAB

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 06:41:23 AM »
"warer infection" gotta love it.

I don't see this as a permenent installation unless you are going to turbo charge your 'roid, when all that is needed is to spritz a little water down the intake every couple of weeks to clean the carbon out if that is your intentions, & as others refered to earlier in injecting steam, i don't think that will help as the cleaning effects come from the water flashing to steam, if it's allready steam, there's no flash & no cleaning.

SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

groovy_one

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »
Sorry to revive this thread, but I couldn't resist.   ;D  I don't know much about Listers, as I am still in the reading and studying stage, but I do know that there were plenty of old Hit n' Miss kerosene burners that had water injection built in.  They had a pipe that ran from the cooling hopper to the mixer.  They were started on gas and switched to kerosene after they reached operating temp.  After it was thoroughly warmed up and under a load, a valve was opened that allowed water to be mixed with the kerosene.  The higher the load on the engine, the more water was added.  It prevented detonation and supposedly helped make more power.  Rumely Oil Pulls also had water injection for making serious power.

I never really thought about using this technique to clean cylinders/heads but I could definitely see how that would be a by-product.  Anyway ... the point in all this is that, while I can't speak specifically about Listers, I can say that it has been done before.  I don't think it will hurt anything, in limited amounts.

-Keith-

GIZMOS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 04:34:49 AM »

water injection and water + methanol/ethanol blends were tricks used in the late 1970s in Australia

While they cleaned the combustion chambers Yella Terra heads found corrosion problems in their cast iron heads
- so I'm reluctant to go that direction - I think Id prefer to use FPC catalyst and/or do as Stan suggested on an earleir thread perhaps using LPG. I have spare OMVLs laying around they are used to regulate supply of LPG and converter liquid to a gas in a controlled way - Just remember to use 12v solenoid to ensure LPG shuts off if the engine stops so combustion does not occur on the wrong side of the piston ..:) This failsafe is in all the GFSI diesel/LPG hybrid setups - a mate did the dyno testing and the best result is at 19% LPG mix - so you screw back on the diesel and enjoy a 20% increase in HP and 9% increase in torque and an overall reduction in fuel, carbon and particulate emissions.

I run LPG in both my petrol engined and diesel powered trucks and the engine and oil certainly remain clean
it also reduces hard carbon and particulate emissions.

I'll see if John Bennett from Ecotherm has written any articles on water injection - he developed special cast iron
heads in Brazil to overcome issues with using 100% ethanol blends.

Interesting thread ... I'll hone up on my spelling to avoid being chastised or I may find myself having to write "listeroids" on the board
50 times before I can log off. I did not realise you were so politically correct on such a fun forum.

Stephen Hutson
Gizmos T/As OzListeroids
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia

JKSon CS10/1 - ST-5 Off Grid Generator
Lister FR2- 16HP with 3" Harland CEntrifugal Pump - Irrigation.
Stephen Hutson
Gizmos T/As OzListeroids
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia

JKSon Cs10/1 with ST-5 Off Grid Power Generation
Lister Fr2-16HP with 3" Harland Centrifugal Pump - Irrigation
Listeroid Addict

Stan

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 11:57:53 PM »
Yup and Doug's our spelling police.  ;D
Stan