Puppeteer

Author Topic: A must see  (Read 3653 times)

Stan

Re: A must see
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:23:44 PM »
He's a pretty good public speaker eh?  I wonder if every country's leader is telling their people that they are in a better position than most and things are looking up?  Sounds like a "playbook line"!
Stan

AdeV73

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
Brilliant, isn't it?

If I'd been there, that's almost exactly what I'd have wanted to say to Brown. I may have used a few more swear words, though, and I'd probably have taken something to throw at him as well...

Long rambling political theorising based on very few facts follows. Please feel free to ignore it if you like... :

There are a fair number of Americans on this forum; and I guess that nearly all of the time, British politics holds very little fascination to them. However, our Prime Minister (also known as the Prime Mentalist, as there is some question of his sanity) spent most of 2008 blaming you Americans for the "credit cruch". "This crisis, which started in America" he's been quoted as saying, several times... although oddly enough, he changed his tune somewhat when he addressed Congress the other week. Hmmm.

It's broadly accepted that US "sub-prime" mortgages are to blame for triggering the collapse. What's interesting is how we got there, and why...

2 US policies interacted to allow the problem to evolve: The repeal of Glass-Steagall in 1999 allowed lending banks (building societys, in UK parlance) to do investment banking stuff. This allowed them to create "derivatives" of mortgages, which could be sold to other investors, bringing in loads more cash, which could be loaned out, which could be "derivatized", sold, loaned, rinse, repeat[1]. Hands up anyone who can spot the house of cards here...

Now, all would have been well (precarious, still, but probably OK) if it weren't for the US "social charter" (I think it's called). This basically rewarded the banks for lending money to the underprivledged, those whom life was treating badly. In other words, really risky people to lend money to - not because they're bad, per se, but because there's a high likelihood that they wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage... hence, the toxic debts.

Now.... what lead to the repeal of Glass-Steagall? Well, rumour has it that when Gordon Brown became chancellor in 1997, freeing the Bank of England from Government control, and setting up the toothless FSA regulator (which recently has proven to have been useless), causing a significant deregulation in UK banking -- the money started flowing into London - thick & fast. Indeed, London became THE financial place to be, it was even more attractive (the rumour goes) than Wall St. Hence Glass-Steagall; the US wanted their "edge" back; if those bills were effectively repealed, Wall St. would dominate again, and so - we arrive at the interesting, and slightly shocking conclusion, that just possibly Gordon Brown is actually the man responsible for causing the current credit crunch...

[1] Britons with long memories may notice that this bears a striking resemblance to the Lloyds re-insurance scandal of the early-mid '90s which damn near brought Lloyds down, and actually bankrupted many of the so-called "Names", the people at the bottom of the food chain who actually had to pony up the money to pay insurance claims.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »
Hi Ade,
 The "social charter" that you refer to i believe is really called the "community reinvestment act" started in the '70s under Jimmy Carter & added to in the '90s by Bill Clinton. the "evil" bush administration tried on 12 occasions to reign in some of this but could not get the votes in congress to do any thing about what was coming.
 here's a you tube video of our demacrat controlled congress back in 2004 telling every body that every thing is o.k. with these "institutions" four years before the collapse
  If you are wondering why this is importaint it is because Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac guarantee the loans made by the banks & if they were not guaranting them, the banks would not have made the subprime loans in the first place. Oh & the "mister Frank Raines" refered to in the video was the man running fannie mae, he made 90 million dollars in BONUSES in the six years he worked there cooking the books to create the mess we are in now. no one is telling him to give back his bonus money like they did to AIG executives. what's he doing now ? he's one of Obama's "economic advisors"  & guess what, Obama just hired one of AIG's executives to work on his economic team.  Don't be surprised that you didn't hear anything about this, our national media is so far up his butt they only breathe when he does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yga7TlsA-1A&feature=PlayList&p=F29D030F5B865EBD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21
  Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
Wish we had Mr Hannan as Prime Minister !!!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:14:33 PM »
Everyone who slings blame for the present economic crisis is ignoring the "cycles" theory.  It seems some very clear cycles such as the boomer spending cycle, the technology cycle etc. are winding down now, and a correction that was certain to come has arrived.  Whether this will be a few years of belt tightening, or decades of misery and misfortune depends upon many complex factors, including terrorism, (imagine what another 911 style act would do the the economies of the world), global warming, the food crisis,  the water crisis, peak oil,  etc..   It seems that we might be looking at what the army types call a clusterf**k.

I admit the real estate market in the US might have been a precipitating factor, but wouldn't have had the devastating world wide effects if the entire world's economy wasn't a giant "house of cards" just waiting for something to shake it down.

Despite the convenient scapegoat factor, I can't blame our friends to the south entirely.
Stan

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:39:41 PM »
But , if the economies of the world had been run conscientiously with proper safeguards , contingency and thorough regulation to prevent those with less than honourable intentions the opportunity to exploit then the worst excesses of the circumstances with which we are now confronted could perhaps have been prevented ?  Would these not be the things for which government is responsible , or , should be ?  I've scraped better off my shoe than the prevailing bunch of indulgent shysters that have the audacity to call themselves leaders ! The French had a revolution over considerably less than we are all tolerating now ! 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 09:49:38 PM by compig »
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!