Author Topic: OLD STYLE LISTER ENGINES  (Read 26884 times)

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: OLD STYLE LISTER ENGINES
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 01:53:27 PM »
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »
LOL !!!!  Nice one !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGknYx4sxQ

I can top that.

This for all the hyped up engines that look good and have not proved they have any legs
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuJsJHl7pE
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
Jeez Doug!
 you allways gotta upstage me! LOL

SR.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »
It seems this thread is getting way off track.  What does freaky music videos have to do with my original question. Perhaps there needs to be a musical section on the forum where this crap can be posted. My spouting off is over - now lets get back to my original question.  Who out there has a old style lister or andree engine???  There are about 2126 members on this forum, if 75% of the membership has a listeroid thats about 1594 people. Someone surely has to own a old style lister or w c andree engine.  I'm interested in the w c andree premium engine - who has one?

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
this question has been asked before & it appears no one here will admit to owning one.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »
Lighten up a little Fred.....

The answere to your questions are in the hisrory of this forum if you are prepared to search and tie the loose ends together.

I feel having been here for the length of time I have I can answere questions in in form of ridles and music clips from Youtube.

And in person I only comunicate on the subject iby means of tap dancing and farts.... 

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
Hey John,

Pare opined in the negative about TRBs in these engines.  Just wondering, in your 24,000 hours of operation, how many sets of TRBs have you gone through?  I already know that answer, I just thought others should hear it.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
Quinn - 24,000 hours - original "Indian" TRB's, still in there and running quietly.  Never did get around to checking and/or pre-loading them, just ran 'em as they came.  Works for me!
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
Just for the record Quin is the beta tester for the brand of engines John and George sell. And Quin knows most of the technical and development details and reliability issues with the PS engines and products sold through John and Utterpower from the private Utterpower forum where such things are discussed.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »
It seems this thread is getting way off track.  What does freaky music videos have to do with my original question. Perhaps there needs to be a musical section on the forum where this crap can be posted. My spouting off is over - now lets get back to my original question.  Who out there has a old style lister or andree engine???  There are about 2126 members on this forum, if 75% of the membership has a listeroid thats about 1594 people. Someone surely has to own a old style lister or w c andree engine.  I'm interested in the w c andree premium engine - who has one?

Fred
   Up at the top of the page is a search feature. Type in "old style listers" and I am sure you will find more on the subject than you care to read.  This has been hashed and rehashed several times in just the few years I have been comming here.  As mentioned, he has been in and out of business several times in just the past few years.  The term "flim flam man" seems to be appropriate IMO.  I will bet you will not find any one willing to admit that they purchased an engine from him, as some lessons(particularly the painfull ones) are best kept to ones self...  Like Bob said, I think the only way you could get anywhere close to 100,000 hours would be to build one yourself from the ground up.  When I say build, I mean everything, including the castings, so you could control the production process.  You might ultimately get an indian made on to run that long, but I think you are going to need quite a few parts...

Old rule of thumb:  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »
One of the reasons that Lister engines lasted so long was the basic quality of the parts, the machining and the assembly. I remain very sceptical about Taper Roller Bearings (TRB) in diesel engines, especially given the pre-load required for a decent bearing life, plus maintaining that preload over an operating cycle.

Hatz has been using tapered roller bearings on the crank mains & ball bearing rollers on the connecting rods of thier small air cooled diesels for over 25 years. i have seen them run dry & continue to run after being refilled with oil, although they were cooled down for while before adding more oil to them.

SR
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 04:21:06 AM »
Just reading OSL's policy on refunds would make the prudent buyer look elsewhere.

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 05:26:28 AM »
Hello Fred
Think about the simple math of a 100,000 hour claim. There are 8760 hours in a year. in ten years that would make right at 87,600 hours ( plus 2 leap days).
The W.C. Anrdree engines have only been promoted for about 4-5 years. So unless he has had one running continuously 24/7/365 since 1997 he CAN"T possibly know if his "upgrades" are capable of this. So he lies and over promotes. We get a lot of that here in the rain belt of western Washington/Oregon. Probably due to our demineralized water. Makes up native born have weakest teeth and the highest rate of Alzheimer's  and MS diseases in the US too.
When someone obviously lies and over promotes, why listen?

SteveU.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:40:39 AM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
It seems this thread is getting way off track.

Sorry Fred, but most everyone was probably falling around with laughter at the prospect of anyone buying one of those, so the thread did get a bit 'high'.  I think you have the general feeling of these 2000 odd members........Don't do it!!

Go buy yourself a standard engine after researching what you actually need.  Spares will be available for a long time.  There are lots in regular use in India!  There is a lot of help available here.

If you need a higher output, perhaps go for the Redstone.  Little information on it yet but think this way - the listeroid is a clone of the Lister CS and the Redstone is a derivative clone of the Blackstone JP. 

Probably neither will be better than the original in some ways, but will be in others (the main ones being price and availability).  I have original examples of both.  The Blackstone is not yet a runner.

Regards, RAB