Author Topic: CH4  (Read 18574 times)

justsomeguy

• View Profile
Re: CH4
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 12:11:23 AM »
EXACTLY!

That's what I'm wondering about.  If anyone's actually done it, and put theory in to practice, and found out some results!

When someone's actually got a Lister running on, or being supplemented by gaseous fuels, then the other discussions have some relevancy.  Until then, it’s just chatter.

If a Lister won’t work on wood gas, why waste any time discussing how wood gas can be produced for use in a Lister?    ::)

-Jerry

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 03:18:34 AM »
after reading about injecting propane into an old Volkswagen diesel, yes it works but their is a limit to how much gas you can use. The auther claimed that using too much propane in his IDI VW engine caused a colliding flame front between the cylinger and prechamber resulting in poor combustion.

I can't speculate what that limit would be in a Listerloid, someone is just going to have to try it.
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »
I've also read that indirect injection engines are a poor candidate for propane/gas injection.  Something to do with flame propagation pattern being messed up.  A point for the direct injection modified Listeroids.

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »
Poo.
The sawdust would be a good carbon source for the mixture. It requires a ballance of water, poo and carbon bearing vegitation. The article I referenced does not really discuss the ratios, although the editor mentions it in the seventh paragraph. In this case hay from the barn floor was used, but more was needed? Enter here your sawdust.
I'm not an expert, but a web search provides alot of resources. A methane digester looks like a pretty big unit, but the process is easier to operate, and the gas is about twice as powerful as wood gas. The residual sludge is not a disposal hazard, it's fertilizer!
Try:
http://www.prep2003.com/methane.htm
The number of cows or chickens required for electric generation or kitchen stove seems rather large?

So I souldn't expect much gas from a family of four plus pet wastes. :'( I'm also guessing that adding organic garbage won't help much.
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

kpgv

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 04:03:04 PM »
Hi All,
In observance of Earth Day, and for your entertainment  ;D    :

http://www.rvi.net/~mdhorban/hybridmotorcycle.htm

Kevin

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 02:44:53 AM »
i have not done it with a lister, but i have with a 12 hp changfa and propane

the engine will run on propane and will consume less diesel, how much i dont know because i havent ran through all the testing,,, yet,
but i certainly plan to.

there is no reason that a precup engine, (indirect injection) cannot be used in dual fuel mode, but maybe not to 90% , pilot fuel (diesel) amount will be higher, likely over 20%.

u will probably have to advance the timing to optimize power, but you should not have to decrease the compression ratio.

natural gas, propane and methane all have sufficiently hi octane rating to negate the need for lower compression.

flame propagation will for some of these fuels be slower so the timing may need to be advanced.

again this is to optimize power output, and may not be necessary for all folks, all engines, or all applications

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

loonogs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
Bob and all,
i know i am 3 years late with this but,

Has any one tried to their lister on methane yet ?

i want to start producing methane over the next few months and just wanted peoples ideas on how to meter in the methane.

is there any need to adjust timing ?

will it work on varying loads ?

Philip