Author Topic: The Redstone Diesel project  (Read 111622 times)

Stan

Re: The Redstone Diesel project
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
Bummer!  :(  I was looking forward to seeing one.  Oh well, the grandkids are still in Ottawa so it's a certainty I'll be back before too long.  You've got a great set up John, it's worth anyone in the area seeing it for ideas.
Stan

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2009, 03:10:37 AM »
Just wondering if there are any updates regarding the Redstone project.

With Joel hard to reach recently and John not having any stock, is the Redstone project history?

Would be too bad if it was...

Figured I'd ping this thread to see what folks know.

Steve

Stan

« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2009, 04:11:45 AM »
I was wondering too?  John, you've got 3 weeks to get one in so I can see it!  ::)
Stan

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
My Redstone won't be running till next spring. I built an I beam frame for it and mounted a 10 KW ST Head on it but I have not stripped it yet and spec'd it out. I have a CAT engine that I'm working on right now .. and a Lister 6/1

I wasn't really ready to buy a Redstone this past summer but figured I'd better get one before they were banned!  ;D
I'll probably be updating like crazy this cominig summer, as in I'll probably have lots of questions as I go!
Randy B

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
Update on my WVO powerhouse.

Got the 13 inch serpentine pulley from John at Woodnstuff. Got it mounted. This is a slick looking Pulley!

Got rid of the 'Junction Box ' on the 12kw ST Generator, and mounted a 8 x 8 x4 electrical box in it's place. Fitted the rectifier for the field into the box.  Mounted a breaker panel on the wall with a few 15 amp receptacles plus a 50 amp 120/240 range receptacle. The electrical wholesaler had the 'Kill A Watt's on sale for $35 , so I bought one.  This seems like a No Nonsense Gadget!

Clean up the Gen Shack tomorrow and fire the unit up!  As I mentioned earlier , the Gen Shack is heated from the hot Glycol from the coal stoker and the Engine is ready to fire up instantly on WVO ,as the Engine is already preheated at about 120F!

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »
What no pictures   ;D ;D??  ;D ;D

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2010, 06:09:55 AM »
 PICTURES!  I don't quite understand how to post pictures on this site. BUT, I managed to post some pictures on another site.

You can look at them at www.ourlocal353.ca   In the Right hand column you will see  a heading 'Recent Posts' Click on to 'Environmental Doublespeak'.  I am Reply #1 and #4 for my Photos.  I will try to 'Bump' this topic so it stays near the top!

If someone wants to, they could download these photos and just title it ' DieselDaves Redstone & Generator' 

Noisy Nova

• Port Rowan, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »
Deisel Dave's      (I want one too)   ;D

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:54:04 PM by Noisy Nova »
-Dave

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:42 AM »
Wow,

Nice installation...!   ;D

Regards,

Steve

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:17 AM »

Noisy Nova; Thanks for posting the Pictures. Still some finishing touches to do.

Stan

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »
Very nice!  How is the sound abatement in the shed?  Can you give a subjective assessment of how loud it sounds from outside with the door closed?
stan

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
  Sound Abatement?   The routing of the exhaust starts with a 2" thickwall from the engine thru the wall and into the concrete blocks, then down one side to the bottom block, then back up the other side and then thru the 4' thickwall to the outside. You can hear it thump inside the house. The webbing has been knocked out of the bottom block so that exhaust can pass to the other side.  The exhaust has a nice thump to it, and not noisy at all.

Most of the noise is from the air intake on the outside. It is an Air Cleaner assembly off a 305 GM.  This sits under the 'Doghouse' that you see in the photo. This doghouse eliminates some of the noise.  I want to be able to hear it run when I am inside the house.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:19:19 AM by dieseldave »

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
Dave,

Is it sitting on concrete or sand? 

What is the orange tapered block against or next to the flywheel for?

Is the thump you hear just intake or exhaust related, or do you also get the combustion event being transferred through the ground?  I'm thinking not since it's a horizontal, but figured that I'd ask.

Finally, what are you doing for a cooling system?

Thanks,

Steve

Stan

« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
  Sound Abatement?   The routing of the exhaust starts with a 2" thickwall from the engine thru the wall and into the concrete blocks, then down one side to the bottom block, then back up the other side and then thru the 4' thickwall to the outside. You can hear it thump inside the house. The webbing has been knocked out of the bottom block so that exhaust can pass to the other side.  The exhaust has a nice thump to it, and not noisy at all.

Most of the noise is from the air intake on the outside. It is an Air Cleaner assembly off a 305 GM.  This sits under the 'Doghouse' that you see in the photo. This doghouse eliminates some of the noise.  I want to be able to hear it run when I am inside the house.

OK, I gotcha.  It must make a nice sound from above.  ;D
Stan

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »

The Steel Frame sits on a combination of railroad ties and concrete, dry sand is just sitting over top of the dirt.

That orange wedge is the factory 'Control panel'  It will eventually be GONE.

The thump is mostly intake noise.  Ground does not vibrate at all.

The cooling system is tied in with the return line on the coal stoker furnace. This way the engine is heated all the time for easy starting.