Author Topic: The Redstone Diesel project  (Read 111284 times)

dieseldave

• View Profile
Re: The Redstone Diesel project
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 01:50:31 AM »

I think that utterpower and woodnstuff want to make absolutely certain that these engines can be put to use as RELIABLE no-non-sense machines.

From what I have seen so far,these engines look pretty good. And come with Starter,Alternator,Water pump and a tool kit. Try to get a 1.9 L Listeroid with all this stuff for that price.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
Blink;

The first one we looked at was a very nice machine and that is likely what George reported.  It wasn't until a bit later that we found some problems and we have been as honest as possible in discussing them in public.  Unfortunately, with 3rd World production you do get cheaper prices, but the quality can be somewhat questionable.  The factory has assured me that future orders will be clean, I will check that when the next ones come in.   
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
John,

Out of curiousity, how many engines have you and Joel sold at this point?

I'm wondering what the experiences have been thus far, but have no way to read the dedicated forum.

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Steve

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »
Steve;

Both Joel and I run private businesses and neither of us will disclose how many of anything we sell, it is private information. 

Suffice it to say we brought in 20 engines between us and we have very few left.  Of course, I am keeping either one or two to put into my off-grid genshed, that should tell you what I think of the Redstones.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »
John,

Excellent news!

Glad you guys have made a significant dent in the shipment.

So, it would stand to reason that at some point, we should start to have some idea of longer-term reliablity and user feedback on them.

I wasn't trying to pry, just wondered if we had a number of sites that were running them on a regular basis that would give us an idea of how they're doing in the field.

Thanks,

Steve
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:26:11 PM by apogee_man »

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »
Steve;

There are several out there now that are beginning to rack up hours, but it will take people like me to get significant hours in a relatively short time frame.  As is usual here, Life kinda intervened and stopped my Redstone work in its tracks, I hope to get back onto it in the near future.  I will report on progress and on people's insights into the engines but as with all "new" things, it does take a bit of time.  I'd love to tell you I have 10,000 hours on a Redstone with no problems, just can't do that right now.
John F

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:42 AM »
john, please do not think that YOUR honesty was in question. a while back, before i became a newbie, there was a thread about someone buying one and running it and was going to do an expose, and he was flamed. do not know where it is or exactly when it was. i hope things settle out and all works out. newbie

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 03:37:45 AM »
Thanks John!

Understood that it takes time...

Just curious that's all.

Thanks for your directness and being willing to share your experiences.

Regards,

Steve

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
john, please do not think that YOUR honesty was in question. a while back, before i became a newbie, there was a thread about someone buying one and running it and was going to do an expose, and he was flamed. do not know where it is or exactly when it was. i hope things settle out and all works out. newbie

I don't think the person was wanting to do an expose on the engine, but he was going to tare down and document what he found good or bad and relay that information back to person he purchased it from.

Carl

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »
carl, understood, reread the thread if you can find it. he was told to  pound it or something like that. did not sound to me that any one wanted to hear anything about it. i thought this would be the place to kick it around, who else would care? would it get ink in the TIMES? the liseriods get a complete public cavity search but these redstones seem to get a pass. newbie

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »

Prof.blink , if you are wondering why Listeroids get a 'complete public cavity search' go to youtube and type  'redstone diesel engine' then read the comment below about Listeroids in general. You will see why!  When you watch the video, notice how the Redstone/Genset assembly is not walking around in circles on the concrete. Looks pretty damn smooth for a 115cu.inch (1.9L) SINGLE!

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 12:56:25 AM »
Blink;

The Redstones don't get a "pass"  The most critical people are those that own them and have done a tear down.  Yes, we found sand in a few engines - but we also found excellent machining, fit and finish.  Some work is required with these first engines to get them up to snuff, but that is why most have been sent to a few
'gearheads" who can tear down an engine and rebuild it without getting all knotted up. 

Yes, we had one user run with 16 quarts in the sump, instead of 12. That caused the engine to carbon up a valve, but he did not even have to pull the head.  He just tapped it, and it came out of it.

We have had several users fuss about excessive end play in the cam, but that is really easy to reduce using a flat washer.

On one engine, the owner reported one of the piston rings that was not spaced as evenly as he would have liked.

We have had one engine with a broken solenoid wire. It took twenty minutes to re-solder.

About one in three sold have varying amounts of grit/debris initially.

Most all run at 900 to 1300 RPM.

Sorry, it is not so exciting.

These are new engines to North America - so far so good, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement. 
John F

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 01:52:59 AM »
Excellent report. :)

I don't mind doing the work even I don't have machine shop at the disaposal to prep the redstone and I lately don't know if there is original Lister CS or like existing in Ontario.

Cheers, Wizard

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2009, 02:04:50 AM »
I want one!!!  Maybe next year.... ;D

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:09 AM »
I second what Jens said.

The information vacuum is hurting you guys in my opinion.

Nevertheless, thanks for the report!!!!

Regards,

Steve