Author Topic: The Redstone Diesel project  (Read 111032 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: The Redstone Diesel project
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »
I CAN provide you with a properly finished Listeroid or Redstone -
[/b]

Yes he can!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 02:03:29 AM »
See newbie he will build you an engine that is perfectly functional from the crate.
You will of course have to pay extra....

Its all about what you are willing to spend.

Treat an engine like this as a hobby, your going to be puttering and playing around with it anyway so enjoy the act of building it yourself. If you can do that it might be a cost effective way to make power and it will amuse you.

Or pay John 5000 and he will do a PDI and test run what ever. I don;t know if he would warretny it for any length beyond that. Good question for you John is there a warrenty on an engine you PDI and test and what about George and Joel are they covering parts for a set number of hours like the roids they used to sell?
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 02:39:32 AM »
  i hope you airplane guys do not start buying Lycombingoids and flying them over my house. blink

Actually two companys do make aftermarket "Lycomings", and they are opposite of the Lister clones, they are BETTER than the originals.   Now you are asking yourself....why are they better....the answer is they are made with "improvements" that do not meet original type design and therefore they are not FAA "certified" and can only be installed into experimental aircraft.  What you have to worry about is the ass clowns flying experimental aircraft with Mazda rotaries and other car engines.  Some guy a few hangars down from me has a new RV-10 he just finished with an LS-7 Corvette engine in it.....yeah it has to be better because it has exponentially more parts, it is water cooled with a radiator and lots of plumbing and has a computer to run the whole works right ??? ::) :-\ did I mention it weighs half again as much as 540 cubic inch Lycoming and is twice the size.... and that the airplane just flew for the first time a few weeks ago because he has been having trouble with the engine for over a year now.  Yeah he tried to sell the firewall forward engine kit that he bought from some company for far too much money (more than a purpose built aircraft engine).....but nobody wanted it, so now he is stuck.  I wish him well and I hold my breath every time I see him take off.  Opposed cylinder Lycomings were designed in the 40's and they were not state of the art even then, but they are dependable and they work really well, that is why they are still making them.  I wish real listers were still being built :'(

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 04:21:56 AM »
big difference between a car engine and one made for aircraft or boat use

not many cars ask their engine for over 20% of the available hp on a continous basis

certainly a lot of boats and airplanes ask well over 80% of the available hp on a continous basis
and it takes some good parts as well as design to hold up to that duty.

don't think we will ever see a new oem quality lister ever again, which leaves one of two things
1. take it as a kit and rebuild it to oem standards, or
2. pay someone else to do it for you

that is of course if you need oem quality and lifespan to start with?

there is a huge number of folks that only need their engine to run a week or so per year
even an old sand motor will probably last several years called to this level of intermittent duty.

probably less than 5% of all these engine's will ever be asked to produce max power on anything like continous
basis 24/7/365 for years on end.

because of this it is not likely there will be a large enough market in building these engines to a high standard.

most folks really don't need it, and are unwilling or unable to pay for it anyway.

realistically these engine's should be seen as a hobby that can with a bit of work do useful work if called on to do so.

as for the redstone, there is far less work to do than what i have seen with some of the listeroids.

all things considered, dollars per hp, dollars per work required to make right, etc the redstone beats the socks off
of any listeroid in its hp class.

maybe not an engine for everyone? not sure everyone has a use for the amount of power available? even at low
rpm it is still probably good for 12hp continous.

i hope it takes off and finds its niche, as i am sure it will.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »
The Brits stopped making these engines because they were priced out of the market.

Not quite right , John.

The fall of Persia marked the end of production.  Many of these engines were exported to the Middle East as reliable prime movers, operable and serviceable by low-skilled labour.

When that market dried up - rather quickly after the revolution - the unit costs spiralled (yes, UK labour rates were high) but there was simply no market for the bonafide product.  I would suggest there was already a 'backyard' spares operation going on in India for the previously-imported engines and nowhere else in the world wanted a 1/2 ton of cast iron for 6HP, with lots of alternatives available for peanuts and weighing perhaps only a tenth of a Lister.  Basically nobody wanted an engine that was going to out-last the job - buy cheap, use, throw away, replace. Life-time cost was less than eventualy repairing a long-lived Lister.

Regards, RAB

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
RAB;

You are likely right, I guess it all comes down to demand - as with everything, if there is enough demand then the cost can be amortized over a large number of units instead of a few.

Doug:  I've never had a request for a full PDI engine, people are just too cheap.....ummm, parsimonious....  My engines are warrantied for 12 months (parts replacement) - but I'm not going to get into the million hour engine debate!
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
Thank you for clearing the air John.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »
piperpilot3tk;
I resent your comment on Mazda rotary powered aircraft owners, our sexual orientation, and our experimental aircraft.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »
i was waiting for that one!

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
Hi Bob!  :D
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »

;D In 5 years they will change the name of this Forum to: ' Redstone Engine Forum ' ;D

Stan

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 02:56:23 AM »
Its not very likely the Redstones will outlast the Dursley Listers.
Stan

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 03:56:04 AM »
I am waiting for the cd to be availabe showing how to repair it.sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »
Sid;

Working on a CD now, but it might take a while.  Lots of 8 x 10 glossy colour pics of a totally stripped down engine with paragraphs and descriptions on the back....oops, flashback to Alice's Restaurant......yes, there will be a CD.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
hello all. yes, thanks for clearing the air. i think a deutz FL 2 911 will do the trick on the wash bay project. a 2 row bearing clutch cover w/stub shaft made for belt load. i got the wrong impression from utter web site saying the redstone was ready for prime time. they have one apart for photos and rave reviews, what else could one think? i agree with the hobby thing for the individual that is not immersed in the iron trades and is not under pressure from demanding customer expecting plug and play,low maintainance,and 20k hrs life expectancy. newbie