Puppeteer

Author Topic: Listeroid 12/1 residential  (Read 10686 times)

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
Listeroid 12/1 residential
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:22:02 PM »
Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a 12/1 located only 2 hours from me.
Engine is still crated so I can't here it run.

Anyone out there running their lister(oid) in a residential neighborhood?
I'm a bit concerned about how well I can hide the noise.
Eventually, it would be running a lot to charge batteries and provide water heating.
I would intend on running it slow (8HP) to drive an ST-5 head.
I do have a garage, and I am willing to build an engine shed if necessary. But can the noise be realistically reduced to "neighborhood" levels  ???

PS: Anyone know of this version (GTC)? ...Comments???

Veggie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:59:36 PM by Veggiefuel »
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
Re: Listeroid 12/1 residential
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
Veggie;

One of my customers runs his 6/1 in a pretty densely populated subdivision. His neighbours don't know it's there, when I was over looking at his setup all you could hear outside was a very quiet "pop-pop" sound.  I think he is using regular auto mufflers combined with a pre-expansion chamber.  IT certainly can be done.  Another customer has his exhaust running through a 6' high concrete well stack (above ground) with the exhaust goingthrough a pipe and coming up out ofthe ground about 25 feet away.  Again, very quiet.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
Jens,

That's a very funny story (LOL), but it does bring up an important point.
Noise can be reduced on these engines, but is takes a bit of fiddling.
After all you have done, there is still a deep thump noise that you are trying to get rid of.
Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28:14 AM »
Depending on your soil conditions, the vibration when under load might be harder to overcome than the noise...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:16:48 AM »

I don't mind pouring a concrete block for the base.
I'm not familiar with the vibration isolators though.
What kind of isolators ?, and where can such things be bought ?

I've seen all kinds of roid bases ranging from concrete to wood, to steel + wood etc....
But it would seem that the best base system is one that isolates (rather than transmits) forces to the supporting surface.
Properly sized isolators make the most sense. Perhaps even to the point of minimizing (or eliminating) the amount of concrete required.

Veggie
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:49:50 AM by Veggiefuel »

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:45:33 AM »
Hi veggie
The one who has tried a 12/1 in a residential garage is member SCOTT in Connecticut. PM him.
I bought some GTC branded parts for my Anand/Powerline (to get the chrome cylinder sleeve) and they looked fine. Troy is great!
Phil of CMD recently posted a comment about the effectiveness of some new anti-vibe mounts over on the Market place section. Give that a read too.

Regards
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:48:32 AM »
The GTC brand looks identical to the Anand Powerline accept for the name on the inspection cover of course and the use of yellow accents instead of orange. I wonder if the metal ID tag says Made by Power Engineering Corporation. Ive got my 6/1 pretty well tamed as far as noise and vibration are concerned but a 12/1 good question. Only one way to find out  :). If you haven't heard one in real life before you'll love it, these are not obnoxious sounding high speed engines.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:02 AM »
I run my 10/1 in my garage...with the door open :D

it works well
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
No Spark & T19

How are your engines mounted ?
Concrete pads, Isolators, or just the garage floor ?

Veggie

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
My engine is mounted on I beams.

Placed on the garage floor.

with two concrete bolts into the floo... oh they are just placed and not screwed tight, they are just there so the unit does not vibrate away.  BTW my garage floor is not level so its not the engines fault that it rocks a bit

I plan to build a shed for the beast, and mount it onto the floor properly, but this works just as well
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
Just for your info, I have the engine and generator steel frame bolted to 1300# concrete block.  The block sets on a 1/2" rubber stall mat(available at most farm and feed stores).  This works well for my 6/1, and I can barely tell it is running from my living room about 30-35' away.  Some of this perception may also be from intake/exhaust noise as I am still running the stock aircleaner and  peppercan muffler.  I am sure aftermarket mufflers/expansion chambers would go a long way to quieting these noises.

If I were to do it again(and I will be in my new house:)), I would pour a thicker/taller pad closer to 2000# and put it on a little more rubber, say two 1/2" stall matts.  I already had the 1300# block as it was an old front step to my house that I recycled for the generator base.  The forms for the next mount will be built right over the rubber pads. 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:51:55 AM »
My 6/1 and ST5 are mounted on a subframe made of 6" channel, the subframe is mounted on 7" I-beams (measured again thought they were 8"), the channel of the subframe straddles the I-beams with thick rubber strips in between. I welded 3 rectangular tubes under the I-beams and use them with 4 concrete anchor bolts to hold the whole works in place. It never thumped that bad at first, but now I can hardly feel it standing next to it. I have it in an attached garage. When I first started running it, my wife complained about things rattling and moving on shelves in the house, but now I can run it for hours and she doesn't even know it. The bolts and other things could have settled in and centered :-\ The channel I had was bowed across and that might act as springs. There are a couple of rpm ranges were it shakes a little but I just stay away from those. I would say it was balanced pretty good in India. My neighbors aren't that close so I don't have to worry about the exhaust noise too much.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 12:42:29 AM »
two guys that i know have successfully resiliently mounted listeroid gensets
one is Bill R and the other is Sailawayrob

both have reported fantastic results, one of them has close neighbors as being the reason
he went in the direction of rubber mounts.

i for one am convinced that if vibration transmission is an issue, resilient mounting is the "only" way
to go.

how you go about resilient mounting is a hotly debated topic, ranging somewhere between "religion and politics"

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »
My 6/1 is in my attached garage the floor is only 4" thick. The engine base is made out of  I beam and is sitting on a piece of rubber mat which is sitting on top of 8x8" timber which is sitting on top of another rubber mat. The engine and frame are not directly bolted to the floor, there are pieces of angle iron in front and back of the frame with rubber bushings in between the angle iron and the wood frame with lag bolts into the wood beams to stop the engine from walking. With the engine running under a load you can feel the thump in the floor for about 3 to 5 feet from the engine. Any further than 5 feet away from the engine you feel nothing.  When the engine is running I can not hear or feel anything in the house.
Below is a link to my engine running and in one of the videos you can see a close up of the frame and mounting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGjlHNX-68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2zUvQIIuY

Carl

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 01:42:59 AM »
For a slightly different take on this one, Rocketboy (Bob Gross) has, in essence, an 8-1 on a small trailer. He uses a nice auto muffler and water in the tires. Plus we spent some time balancing this thing with electronic equipment. It runs very smoothly, does not pound the ground and is very quiet. Put it inside a shed and you would not bother anyone. In this video, the muffler is simply a hollow canister. The auto muffler is much quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Kz7uFOm84
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence