Author Topic: Rubber starter wheel material?  (Read 5209 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Rubber starter wheel material?
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
I'm adapting a 12v starter to work the same way that several guys have done with an air motor. What material works good for the wheel? I believe some of you got it from Mcmaster Carr. Any suggestion will be appricated. I need 2-3" dia x 6" long. Will the air motors push it through compression? do they slip? Pros----cons?
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

carlb23

• View Profile
Re: Rubber starter wheel material?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
Dave,

When I did my air starter i used this drive wheel from Mcmaster carr 2474K67 and bushed down the ID to 1/2 to fit my air motor shaft.  They have a few that you can adapt.  My 4am air motor will not push my engine through compression but since it is only for backup purposes I am not concerned with standing there flipping the de-comp leaver.

This wheel contacts the back of my gen belt and does not slip.  I use an pneumatic air cylinder to lift the starter motor into place.  You can see a video of it here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2zUvQIIuY

The drive wheel that is on there in this video is an old one and not the one i got from Mcmaster.

Carl.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:47:25 PM »
Awwwgggggh!

This was my secret idea.  I keep seeing this cheap pottery wheel we once had that was driven by a small rubber wheel directly off a small motor to spin the throwing wheel.  Not nearly the torque required for starting a Lister but the wheel never slipped.  The idea is to mount it at a slight angle and attach the wheel to the end of the Bendix.  When the starter motor turns on the wheel via the Bendix extension moves onto the flywheel and off it goes.  The wheel would need to be beveled to match the fly wheel or serpentine belt on the flywheel.  I thought starting the wheel search at the skateboard factory down the street would be fun.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
Carl,
Did you use Neoprene or Urethane? I will hold the starter against the bare flywheel.....I guess I could go against the belt if it does not damage it. Casey....good idea! I used a chevy starter and removed the bendix and will make a special nose piece. It is in the evolutionary stage.
Dave  
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »
Dave, I used the McMaster 2474K72, which is neoprene,  2.5"  OD and 1.9" wide. It has a 1" ID. I bushed my air motor shaft with a 1" OD 0.5" shaft coupler.  This works very well with the Gast 4AM motor as a starter, it's been in service for 2 years with no signs of wear. True the wheel against the flywheel with 80 grit sandpaper.

Bruce M

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »
Dave,

I stand corrected I used the 2.5" diameter not the 2" diameter in neoprene same one as BruceM.
I have no issues with the wear on either the belt or the drive roller. Since you are going to use a electric motor you will have instant torque and it may be a problem.  With the air motor it is a much softer start up since you can control the air flow with the valve.

good luck

Carl

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:59:59 PM »
My air starter is controlled by a high flow solenoid valve.  It gets 100psi very quickly, but air motors don't have the high starting (or brief overload) torque of electrics. 

But I think as long as the rubber drive roller is fully engaged with the flywheel before the electric starter is turned on, there shouldn't be a problem.  Mine grips without slipping on a urethane spray painted, glossy flywheel. You can certainly get more friction than that if you need to.  The boaters non-slip deck is made by putting grit on wet paint, then over-coating later to lock it in.

Stan

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
So Casey....Where did you get hockey pucks in Hawaii???   ;)  I can just put my pucks outside and they freeze solid allowing me to drill a hole in them much easier than if they are "island warm".  I guess you don't think that's an advantage do you?  :-[
Stan

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »
I think I remember George at Utterpower mentioned rollers from a boat trailor being adapted. They are cheap and come in many styles and materials. Available most anywhere.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW