Puppeteer

Author Topic: Redstone engines  (Read 151061 times)

Stan

Re: Redstone engines
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:47 AM »
Hotater.....The best analogy for understanding the Episodic Tremour and Slip phenomenon is that it explains how the stresses build up in the Cascadia subduction zone.  consider that most of the Pacific Ocean's floor is slipping under the North American Plate at a few centimeters per year. 

Think of winding up a come-along.  As the toothed wheel winds up, the holding cog clicks into place with each partial turn.  The stress keeps building up, but every time a cog clicks into place, theres' a minute hesitation. 

This is what is happening underneath Victoria and Seattle (and Portland for that matter).  As each one of these ETS events occurs roughly every 14 or 15 months, theres' a good chance that (link a come along slipping with disasterous results) the entire cascadia fault will "go".  Since it's been a few hundred years since the last 9 or greater event, it's almost time for the next one.  (the last one was recorded as a tidal wave in Japan in great detail.)

I was originally going to go into geomorphology specializing in volcanism or glaciology as a young whipper snapper.
Stan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2009, 03:02:47 AM »
I was originally going to go into geomorphology specializing in volcanism

Me too.  Geology is still my first love.

I disagree with, "The stress keeps building up, ".   I submit the slip is *relieving* stress and not 'building' it.   Once the subducted member reaches the plastic zone above the mantle it's assimilated, but the gases and more 'fragile' organics feed the Cascade volcano chain.

I think it's great they can 'see' these deep slips, but I still maintain the faults that are locked are the ones that are 'building stress' and unless a fault has been historically active, is likely to be mistaken for a 'quiet' fault or no fault at all.

The Wasatch Front running through Salt Lake City is a great example.

Slip is a GOOD thing and the steps in it reflect Newtonian Physical Laws, which is also a good thing.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Stan

« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2009, 03:51:37 AM »
Well, there's a guy who was a fervent disagreer to the episodal tremor and slip theory as a causative factor to large fault events like yourself (I forget his name) and so he chartered a boat and took many many core samples of deep ocean canyons off the coast for hundreds of miles.  He reasoned that if there had been periodic large scale events, they would be registered by the deep under water avalaches into these canyons.  After analyzing the data he came up with very regular large scale events every few hundred years (I forget the exact interval) and became a fervent supporter of the theory.  I'll try and find out his name and the data he collected but I'm not home right now and accessing the forum by laptop and itouch so it's kind of clumsy to do.

They (the guys in Victoria who discovered this whole "new" event type, figure it doesn't really relieve much stress at all, compared to what is building up in these micro slips, which only occur every 15 months or so.  This Cascadia fault line is a monster, and hiccups quite regularily, and can be triggered by anyone with a 2 cyl Listeroid which is bolted to Vancouver Island.
Stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2009, 11:47:52 AM »
I think you would be better off having them melt down the subs & have them make new listers & send them over, at least that way you get something of value!! ;D

That terrible fire tradgedy where the surplus British sub was surface running with the new owner Canadians on-board driving it off-the-lot as it were and had a bad electrical fire on board is probably the best example of why screen doors are not necessarily 'useless' on a submarine.

Ventillation to clear the smoke may have reduced the intensity of the noxious poisonous smoke for some of the survivors.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:49:16 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
Stan---

We are saying the SAME thing.  Mega thrust earthquakes DO happen on the Pacific coast just as they do in the Himalayan Arc and the Mt. McKinley Arc in Alaska.  My point is that the 'slip/creep' means THAT part of the fault is no 'bound'.  Of COURSE other parts of the fault are gaining stress and will slip in a megathrust quake, its only a matter of time.....which can he said of everything.  TIME is  dimension we short-lived humans can't understand.
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
   Probably "Lucas" was the elecrical contractor / supplier for the Brittish subs ;D ;D We really do need a running for cover smiley

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
Oh yes Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electronics ... says it all
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
No way the Brits are dumb enough to let Lucas near a submarine!

This is a pretty good three thread 'cord' we got going here. If somebody will introduce a couple more subjects we could build an internet rope!

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2009, 06:26:49 PM »
you haven't lived until you have been tasked with overhauling a lucas gehrling air over hydraulic brake system
or even the hydraulic over hydraulic, what a circus

hows that Jack?

anyway in a effort to steer back ontopic

after working on all sorts of bastardized crap, it is pretty nice dealing with lister/oids, changfa, and now the redstone
where sound engineering prevails.

instead of the typical product today, where they engineer, just to be different
and where "if" it makes a couple thousand hours, it will be thrown away anyway.

at least with the redstone, everything that is there needs to be there, and it is designed
(much like the lister) to have a long life and be repairable/rebuildable.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

abbamovers

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
Ah Bob I guess I have lived. 8)
Done 3 of 'em , 1 1987 Ford Cargo 6000, 1 1986 Ford Cargo 6000 and my fav, a 1989 Ford F800 with Hy- Power Booster system.
All with Lucas Girling rears and Dayton disks in the fronts.
The 1989 Ford I replaced the entire system from booster, disks , calipers, drums and backing plates complete with wheel cyls , shoes and associated hardware to the brake lines and hoses.
Guess what ?
The damn rear wheel cyls. started leaking, on both sides, 6 months later !!! >:(
The MTO ( our version of truck inspectors ) really love pulling me over and seeing that tell tale puddle of brake fluid in the rim groove. ::)
Never had the Dayton calipers leak, always the rears.
But I always found the master cyl. to be a nice fix on the cab over Fords. The boosters were really just a front air brake chamber pretending to be a booster, an easy  and cheap fix.
I found a little trick that keeps 'em from leaking.
Use British Castrol or Lucas brake fluid as used by the little Brit sports cars (Mgb, Spits, etc. )
Seems our North American fluid eats the brit rubber on the rears.

Give me air systems any time of the year.
Sorry for rant, continue on  :D

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:05:37 PM by abbamovers »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2009, 05:18:48 AM »
hello again from the sand bar. looking through flea-bay, i happened across the mistery engine from the peoples republic known as redstone. juling ltd. looks like someone requested special production run of existing engines with 2 flywheels to appeal to a certain crowd of folks that are fastenated with exposed flywheels. maybe with 2 wheels you can run them down real slow to the edge of usefulness. look at item #270379154636 with a buy it now@ 1999.00 any comments? mike a

How did you get all that from an ad for a common single flywheel Chinese diesel?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
aloris;

That's nothing more than a Changfa style engine.  The Redstone's maximum speed is 1500 rpm.  That is similar to the ZS1125M that I used to sell, mine was also 27hp.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2009, 02:03:27 AM »
Nope, that's not a redstone, just the standard changfa style diesel. that price makes the redstone look all that more attractive.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
John F, any new news on the Redstone?  The video sure looked good!

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2009, 04:23:43 PM »
Well it looks like Im in the market for a redstone with a ST head.  Now I just have to locate one.

Just about finished up on my 12/1 project I have to get the YAK fat out of the generator bearings and keep an eye on the taper pin, just to make sure it doesnt come out.  The first listroid I bought off ebay, 6/1 Omega is going to set in the corner of the shop and collect dust.  That guy off ebay was a real JackASS.  Any way with all the BS I lost interest in it after I got the 12/1. 
Totally off Grid and Loving It :)
Omega 6/1
Powerline 12/1 7.5kw ST Generator