Author Topic: Redstone engines  (Read 151057 times)

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Redstone engines
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »
Watch out for that shandong new juling site, my firewall keeps telling me it's attempting to down load several viruses when i was on line there!!!! looks like it is a chinese government site by the address.

SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
I was perusing the sites and came up with some conflicting powers, RPMs, etc.

Costs seem reasonable considering unit costs, transportation, import costs, internal shipping, guarenty or warantee considerations, and the Utterpower site claiming a gallon(US) savings on fuel per 8 hour running......should make it a winner in the end, if reliability can be demonstrated.  Just takes time for these things to happen unless you use a computer prediction.....

Regards, RAB

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »
at that rate of fuel savings, if one had to buy the fuel from the pump
even at todays rates it would take only about 3 years to payoff the redstone in fuel savings alone.
and if diesel goes up in price to what it was last summer around here? it would take under a year and a half
for it to pay for itself.

yup seems pretty interesting to me

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
Kind of quiet on this one for a couple of days, so I thought perhaps I would up-date on my Blackstone.

Not quite a JP. :(  Turned out to be a spring injection 10HP hopper cooled (with cover - so could easily be plumbed in to an external heat exchanger) of 6 1/2 inch bore,  new in 1934, supplied to Stamford Waterworks (info gratefully received from MichaelStamford). :) 

Needs a bit of work - there is no big end. >:(  It has been completely removed, so will need a 'new' one to be 'obtained' or made.  A few parts missing, but looks as though it will be a runner in the longer term.

10 horses at less than 600RPM (could be 535, 565 or 585 on the name plate).  Total loss oiler (madison kipp type with 4 outlets) although the oil in the oiler looked as though it had been recycled from the crankcase!).

So any comparisons with the Redstone look as though they may well be ended.  This one is  more like a Lister, only on its side and slower running.  Built like the proverbial brick bog. About a 3 inch crankpin and huge curved-spoke flywheels.

Regards, RAB

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »
JohnF13, did you get the redstone up and running yet?  I cant wait to hear and see the results.  When you do get it online we definately need video!!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2009, 10:10:03 PM »
piperpilot3tk,

If you look at the Utterpower site, they have been running their off grid test unit one for some time.

http://utterpower.com/Redstone.htm

Regards, RAB

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2009, 03:08:38 AM »
We all have read the blurb on the utterpower site about the Redstone. All of the stuff on the utterpower site pertaining to the Redstone engine is content free information.  We will just have to wait for the truth to come out.  Too bad we dont already know because I will be ordering a listeroid next week and I would have loved to see some first hand operational reports of this engine. ::)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2009, 06:31:04 AM »
The failing Listeroid industry, and falling dollar make the Redstone replacement both easy and difficult.
1) The Redstone is more powerful than most Listeroids, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
2) The falling Dollar makes over seas purchases less of a good deal than when we were buying Listeroids.
3) Chinese diesels are getting better as time passes, Indian Listeroids are not.
4) US made engines in this catagory are expensive or antique..(or both)
Conclusion: The replacement for my Listeroid will not be a Listeroid. The Redstone is very attractive, and I've seen George's in person.
I'm not in the market for an engine right now, but after the Listeroid bug was satiated and the Listeroid completely rebuilt, I have a good standby generator that can power my all electric house. Starting NOW, I would go with the Redstone. It's just beter.
A one cylinder direct injection engine has to use less fuel than a 2 cylinder IDI engine. It just makes sense.
The Redstone has good family geneology, and is a generation newer and better than the Lister CS. Like an overbuilt Changfa?
But I must remember that I wanted a Listeroid twin with the exposed pushrods etc, and I still get a kick out of it. When I build that mythical powerhouse....it will only have one. The second engine will be something else. Maybe a Redstone.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2009, 01:12:24 AM »
Managed to get back to this job today, as usual, life intervened and stole my time.  Filled the Redstone up with oil (12 litres!), attached a fuel line and put some water in the head space.  Rolled the engine over a couple of times by hand until I heard the injector "creak" then hit the starter key.  Two revolutions and she was running.  MUCH quieter than a Changfa and pretty smooth to boot.  As soon as I get a frame fabbed up I'll post some pics and hopefully a video.

John F. 
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2009, 04:09:15 AM »
:)

eee...eee.... eeeee

(bad monkey!)

come on John, i know you had to have gotten major wood seeing and hearing that beast for the first time!

oh ya,, and how much concrete to mount it?

answer: maybe a half bag of grout to level the frame to the floor!

yup, the big listeroids days are numbered!

you might as well just put your twins up for sale, they will never be used again after you get the redstone fitted.

probably want to do that before you release a video of the redstone as well, the value of the listeroids will certainly go
down after the video release.

bob g

Stan

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2009, 04:34:49 AM »
Can't we see the video of the redstone running without a frame on a bare dirt floor with a glass of wine on top running, with you in bare feet!  (remember that one John?)
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2009, 12:00:57 AM »
Exellent! would love to see some good pictures of the internals of one of these! be careful though, you could get yourself in trouble for divulging "trade secrets"  ::)

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »
. . . all of which is an excellent reason to tell your friend to pound sand when he shows up.  Anytime you buy something, you're screwing yourself and your supplier if you trash his reputation on a public forum before giving him a chance to make it right. 

q.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:36:04 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
You wrote:

if this engine dissapoints this guy in any way, i am sure he will register here,introduce himself and you will get the complete dish on the subject.

What are we supposed to think when we read that?  I'm just saying give the vendor a chance to make it right if it isn't so out of the box.  Then report on it, if you like. 

There are some folks who have made a hobby of trashing anyone who is trying to bring engines into the U.S. and sell them at a small profit.  In one case that I'm aware of, a customer griped about the paint job of a just out of the box 'roid, and then demanded the vendor take the engine back at his expense because a seam in the casting was visible beneath the paint. 

q.
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Jens:

there is a lot more to the story!!!

you simply would not believe what some folks will complain about, and yes there are those
that will see a casting parting line and figure it for a weak spot or a crack, when the reality is
it is just how the casting core halves  are mated.

quite frankly there are some folks that are just too stupid to breathe on their own, and the darwin
awards are given out with some regularity.

there is nothing wrong with being ignorant but willing to learn, but quite another to be stupid and unwilling to learn.

recently i came to CMD's defense on a similar point,

i think Quinn has it just right,
buy the engine if you like, make sure you know what you are doing to put it to work, and if there is a problem
talk to your vendor and give him an opportunity to make good!

or alternatively i guess one could simply just go buy the engine, oil it, water it and cob together whatever
and then sit back drinking moonshine and wait for something to happen,, then come back to the forrum
and tell the world how your vendor fucked you?

there is a level of personal responsiblity when working with any equipment, i realize that is something in short supply
these days.

we just don't need to promote that lack of "personal responsibility" in my opinion.

(i know i don't want too)

bob g