Author Topic: Redstone engines  (Read 151065 times)

apogee_man

• View Profile
Re: Redstone engines
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
Well,

I, for one, am looking forward to eventually heading down to Joel's and seeing one of these in person.

It was certainly NOT my intention to instigate any bad vibes and it seems like this board is full of them unfortunately.

I do think a bit of the stigma of the Redstone might be due to the whole China vibe (at least for me) as I'm not fond of continuing to support them...  That having been said, I don't think we have much of a choice at this point, and this seems to be about the best thing that I've seen out on the market in this segment.

As long as the parts remain available, I don't think this engine is going anywhere.  Looks awfully nice to me!

I also think that half of the background noise about this engine is due to the information vacuum regarding details on the engine.  From that standpoint, I'd much rather any forum on it be readily accessible by anyone who is interested in them.

From what I've seen, it looks to be darn nice!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:20:23 PM by apogee_man »

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »
Yeah, it's too bad there isn't an "Ignore User" feature on this software.  Some people's contributions are consistently not worth reading.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2009, 07:30:26 PM »
Well I am kinda of busy and was wanting to stay out of things right now, but you had to go bring Jaguar into this.  To be honest I am growing tired of all the Brit car bashing that I now experience living here in the States Lucas or not.  If Jaguar was such a pile of crap then how come it is ranked 4th in the most wins at Le Mans , one of the best tests of Vehicle Mechanics/Design longevity etc.  Lets put that observation into further perspective, Porsche is top however all of its impressive 15 wins are from 1970 onwards and really at a time when Jaguar was no longer really racing although there was a minor come back from Jag during this period.  Audi is number 3 and once again all its 8 wins are from 2000 and on so of no matter.  Which leaves us Ferrari ranked number 2 with 9 wins against Jaguars 7.  Now if I play real devils advocate here and ignore 2 of Jaguars wins because they are post 1970 that still leaves us 5 to Ferrari's 9.  That to me is impressive stuff especially considering the differences between the Jaguar and Ferrari companies etc back then.  Lets not forget that the E-type  IIRC won the SCCA twice within the classes that it raced in and as I understand it the secound time it was not one of the better funded teams.
The thing about Jaguar was that William Lyons goal was to create a poorer man sports/luxury car and IMHO he achieved that goal very well.

Now this went OT slightly however I am seeing an analogy here started by Doug in mentioning Jaguar perhaps the Redstone will become the poorer mans genset engine with a durability to match that of Jaguar exhibited at Le Mans.

China has more than one build quality, they can as far as I am concerned build quality stuff when they want as opposed to the usual junk that everyone is used to seeing.

Bob has reported good results from his own personal up close visual experiences on this engine and I for one based on all his input that I have seen here trust those reports.  Even if he does view me as a 'Non-Thinking Baboon' based on my political leanings!  ;)

Bottom line for me is that there is one reason why I would never buy a Listeroid, the simple fact that it arrives with a crankcase full off abrasive crud.  That right there speaks volumes about an engines quality of build and leads me to think no further on the subject.  The Redstone arrives clean that's a big tick in my book and gives some foresight into the build quality.

In all actuality this level of dissection is not applied generally to the purchase of engines, in our everyday lives do we really tear a new on the scene engine apart and minutely inspect it in every detail before purchasing it or the unit that it comes in?

Lastly this community consists of outside the box people trying to save a few bucks and have fun in the process.  Lets face it if we all wanted an easy safe solution we would all pony up the extra few thousand dollars and buy a ready made sound proof box genset or if we are trying to be frugal pick up a good used secoundhand one.  That do not come with eternal discussions on tons of crete, how to cool it, exhaust set ups etc etc etc.  So what if it has a couple of design teething issues, right now it's looking as though it does not have anywhere near the build flaws of a Blister and as far as a Changfa goes well Bob is already trying to figure out how to Justify buying one!  ;D

Cheers
Nobby

2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

Stan

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »
I think the comment on the lack of concrete information on these engines is contributing to the negative feelings is valid.  This is sort of a "tease" situation which some people don't do well at handling. I wasn't evolved to live in a vacuum.

Perhaps we should be waiting until someone gets some running in a genuine "at home" environment and we can see videos, pics of the guts, have reports of how easy it is to disassemble, etc. etc.  No fault to John or Joel but they are both "professionals" of a sort at working both with and on, engines such as these.  I'm not, having grown up working on aircooled VW's so my take on them will be necessarily different.

I wouldn't be so hard on the Chinese either, anything made from ground up listers should be good  ::)
Stan

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Well for awhile there some good information was coming forth, but now that the whole gang of attitude has shown up I expect this thread is pretty much done.
For the record: read my posts and I have supported this Redstone engine and even recommended it to a couple of fellows.
The problem isn't the engine, it's how it's being promoted. Secrecy. Breathless awe. Gotta' have it delayed anticipation. Wait. Soon. But only If you are a good little boy.
Will this be another mini-Petteriod that poops? They are still listed on site and promoted. Bunch of members here got burnt over that one.
Will this be another JXQ-10A Chinese gasifier stove sold and promoted as engine gas capable? Still on site and promoted too. 3-4 years and no one willing to claim a successful engine usage yet. How many members here bought into that one? Nobody who's willing to talk about it. As of this March, only $400. now; down from $1200. USD.
Or will this Redstone engine be like the 400 Chinese PMG generator heads and just "disappear" being only sold to a select chosen few under an oath of silence? I endorsed that product too. I just wasn't willing to take the pledge. So, show of hands, which of you did sell yourselves over that piece of eye candy?

Some here have had wonderful Utterpower/Powersolutions experiences. And some of us have not. So to you four guys now who are looking for a good engine, I say go for it.
And if your sales experience is good please do tell us about it. And thank us "the Banned" for helping to improve the process. If you go quiet then we will know this fine looking engine, like the PMGs, is just another seductive piece of eye candy presented to drag you down  with your oath of silence into the Utterworld. I've learned to prefer the world of openness, honesty, competentcy  and light: and only deal with suppliers with published phone numbers and addresses.

PMG? I be getting mine on eBay, of course. Soon.

SteveU.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:41:51 PM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »
Hey Nobby;

Totally off topic, but I'm in the middle of a 1961 Mark 2 3.8 rebuild.....
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »
hey Nobby:

just for the record, i don't think you are a baboon or a baffooon either :)

also, no i am not crazy about a jag, but
the older v12 coupes were in my opinion an excellent excersize in styling, beautiful in my opinion.
whatever faults they might have had, as with anything solutions obviously were available.

actually i would like to have an early 70's xjs coupe, v12
even if the wiring might have issues after nearly 40 years, i would just rewire the damn thing from the ground up.

maybe that makes me strange in some folks eyes, but
i also absolutely love a '71 buick riviera (first of the boattail riviera's) 455 stage one, with a muncie would be nice thankyou very
much!

btw, Nobby... i can cut you some slack for your political leanings, you after all are an import from across the pond aren't you?

a few more years over here and we will convert you to a reagan republican, ultra conservative, guns out the wazzoo, 4x4 pickup driving,
jack daniels drinking, county western listening, nascar lovin, redneck that you secretly want to be anyway,, but are afraid to admit it

lmao, too funny

btw,, can you tell me what car manufacture was kicking jag, ferrari and all the rest back in '61 or was it '62 there on the english road race course's?  it had california plates if that is a clue (actually one of three taken from the showroom to england that year by the same team)?

it was widely reported you english folks loved 'em, at least the spectators (the other european teams not so much)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »
It seems like some people don't want to accept that a new import could possibly be better than what is already here and get jugdemental about it. Just another thing for some people to learn in life. There will always be new things coming out. And if we think negative about some designs before we give a product a chance where will that put progress?  That is why the Redstone is being worked and torn apart by certain people. They see through all this negative junk and see that the Redstone will have a future. I believe the bugs have been addressed and are being handled in a timely manner. If the indian companies handled the issues with the Listeroids in a timely manner more people might be running Listeroids instead of looking for an engine that is more reliable.

I don't think it's the fact that people don't want to accept that it could be better as much as the fact that the Listeroid was built up to be the end to all means, then it's uncrated and what a shock!  Once bitten twice shy.  We now have another engine being touted as the end to all means and is  2 or 3 times the amount some of us paid for our roids.  If the engine is confirmed and does in fact live up to the reputation that is being pushed here, then I'm sure most people on this forum would eat a loss on the Listeriod just to have an engine of worthy of it's predicated reputation.    Hopefully it is,  but I ain't buying it.  Just my own opinions. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:27:32 PM by MeanListerGreen »
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
I think we have to be careful that we don't read into what Bob says about the Redstone what we'd LIKE to believe.  That is, that it is a perfect engine.  A 100,000 hour engine like He Who Shall Remain Nameless puffs about.  I haven't seen one (yet), and Bob, being more terrier than bird dog, is naturally enthusiastic when he sees something new smelling of diesel scamper by.  The prudent thing to do is to wait and see.  I don't have one, and I don't expect ever to.  With two 6/1s that run fine I don't need anything more.  I'm happy to sit back and see what develops.  The engine might pan out to be better than the 'roids for running off-grid, or it might have its own set of problems.  It's too early to tell. 

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
If the engine is confirmed and does in fact live up to the reputation that is being pushed here, then I'm sure most people on this forum would eat a loss on the Listeriod just to have an engine of worthy of it's predicated reputation.    Hopefully it is,  but I ain't buying it.  Just my own opinions.  

You hit the nail on the head.  The problem is, even though the engine looks to be a quality unit, no one seems to have one. If someone does actually have one, and it was as good as it is made out to be, you would think that there would be some videos of it running or some updates on the set-up and operation of these engines.  IF there were even one or two confirmed, sucessfull running Redstones that were actually in operation I would consider buying one.  Given the lack of information and the super squirrel secret owners only forum for these engines I will have to pass for now and put my money on a listeroid.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »
Does it make any sense to anyone that it takes hours and hours to build hours of experience?

Maybe Wilhelm (may his name be invoked appropriately) will pop up and say he bought one last month and can now affirm they last ten thousand hours.

I won't.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »
There is truth, and then there is what people will choose to beileve.
I never called you a liar Bob and I am not interested in selling engines from China or any other place...

Facts can be disputed and names can be dragged through the mud and unless you or eye are willing to back down and eat some of our own words nothing will be resolved by name calling.

So good luck with your new Chinese engines guys and I realy hope these are as good as you were saying in November  ;)
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:47 AM »
O.K. boyz;

Tell you what I'll do.  I'm going to pull my AG 295 out of the engine shed and put a Redstone in its place.  I hope to have that done by next weekend, but I need to make a frame, carry on business and oh, yes, life sometimes intervenes.  Now, what do you want?  As this is a bigger engine I have no need to run it most days, but can use it on weekends when she-who-has-never-met-a-kilowatt-she-didn't-want-to-employ is home.  I really don't envision more than 20 hours a week and that is pushing it.  Remember I run off-grid and as such need working engines, so I have absolutely no time or interest to perform scientific grams-per-hour tests or anything like that.  What I will report is how the engine works and my impressions of it.  If any of you want to do more specific tests then you can get your collective asses down to my place and do your measurements.  The GPS coordinates are on my website.

Fair enough?
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2009, 02:01:37 AM »
Thank you, John. Now we may be getting somewhere. I look forward to seeing the results, and some video of it working!

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2009, 02:04:02 AM »
Thank you, John. Now we may be getting somewhere. I look forward to seeing the results, and some video of it working!