Puppeteer

Author Topic: Redstone engines  (Read 151097 times)

apogee_man

• View Profile
Re: Redstone engines
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
Also, three other questions:

Is this a wet or dry sleeve engine?

Can it be hand started without batteries if the fuel is gravity fed?

Does it come with a hand crank?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »
I'm nearly sold on one.   3-5KW is all I can use at the moment - no need for much more in a household, any idea of how these might coke up under light loads  ?    I've been prepping the wife for about a year, about reducing peak usage, in anticipation of being off grid in 2 years.

With all the prpblems with the listeroids, every one being different, except for needing a lot of tweaking, if these will still run decent veg oil / biodesel (not just filtered fryer crap), I'm in for one.

Mike

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 12:25:57 AM »
All the actors and dancer in first possition on stage on stage.

lights, cue the smoke machine please.

And the band starts to play.

Hey can you still buy a Powersolutions Listeroid? Or has that joined the Petteroid on that long ride into the sun set.

As for me, well I am not going to get involved in this new play. Please someopne forward me a review later....

Doug

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
yes it is wet sleeve, and also comes with a handcrank
and i am sure that gravity feed is no impediment to hand cranking the engine.

Doug:

it would seem you are a bit negative toward this engine, and i am wondering why?

this whole thing should be allowed to evolve, without evolution we would all be strapping down
maytag washer engine's and old delco 6volt generators to cob up some sort of power.

to me the mini petter had its place, its time in the sun, and found to be a bit more trouble than it was worth
was it a bad design? probably not, but if you can't get a decent build quality it is time to move on.

same with the listeroids, not a bad design actually a well proven design, but continuing QC problems, so time to move
on and try something else.

enter the redstone, in my opinion at least it has all the necessary components to make for a successful engine, the QC
is many times better than india to start with...

besides

continuing to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

in my business i try to reserve judgement until i have had a chance to at least look an engine over, if upon inspection i see
what follows as classic design que's, high quality castings with good finish, clean and sharp machining, and if it appears to be modeled
after a successful design, then i can get excited about it. and why not?

kind of hard to get real excited about another listeroid, when 9 of 10 times the same sad story will be the result, no matter how
excited the seller is about his product and QC assurances from india.

it just seems like the redstone' time has come to step up to prime time and take its place competing with the twins and big singles.

pressed to make a bet, which would i put my last dollar on in a contest of longevity?

a typical listeroid twin (or big single) vs the redstone

the listeroid's fight card is not at all impressive, with its 1-0-999
where one in a thousand might have done well with no issues, 999 had all manner of issues
and there is no way to come out with a tie!

if the listeroid was a fighter no one would show up for the fight!

probably why the redstone came up,, maybe trying to sell a ticket to ownership of a listeroid was getting to be too few
and far between?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 12:27:42 AM »
Yes Doug, how dare you be negative.  I do believe you can be banned for that!   ;D
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »
Well Its been a couple of years since I was banned from someplace lol MLG. But thank you for reminding me lol.

Not negative at all Bob, 3 is the charm so maybe this Chinese clone of something ( yet to be fully explored ) will be the engine that changes everything.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 04:03:52 AM »
Doug:

it certainly looks like the chinese engine (redstone) has a lot going for it.

from what i have seen of it, it is a quantum leap above any indian product that i have
ever seen or heard of.

solid engineering, very good casting quality, top notch machining

don't expect there will be any serious issues with this engine

doesn't appear like the assemblers used a sledge hammer, and they seem to be able
to keep the real estate out of the crankcase and in china.

having a real oil pump, cross drilled crank, and no gib keys to fret over certainly are but a few
of many things that set it apart from listeroids.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Stan

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:45 AM »
I think everyone should go for it and buy one of these.  Just remember, most large farming operations in the US and Canada depend upon huge amounts of credit for planting and crop harvests this fall.  Where do you think they are going to get that credit?  US banks?  And by extension, where is all the food going to come from if the farmers can't get credit to plant crops?  ???
Stan

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 06:50:17 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts about the water pump?  Possible to disable it (remove belt) and let engine thermosiphon ?  I'd only have need for 6HP - would that crud it up and make it slobber, not fully loading it ?   I'd expect the water pump to be the first thing to go, even with using anti-freeze/coolant/pump-lube.  If it overheats - loss of water or whatever, is it easy to rig a thermo-shutdown  for it?

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2009, 07:30:33 AM »
Interestingly the similar Darkstone engine thermosyphoned and was run at a lower temperature than we normally suggest for Listers and 'oids.  Maybe they knew the temperature of the important parts, at the design operational temperature.

BTW, removing the water pump would leave even more HP unused......

Regards, RAB

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »
I'd love to have a couple of them, don't know what i'd do with them but if you're suppling the credit I'm in.

SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
Stan said:

"Just remember, most large farming operations in the US and Canada depend upon huge amounts of credit for planting and crop harvests this fall.  Where do you think they are going to get that credit?  US banks? "

Stan,

Sure.  Why not?  They'll just print more money.  It's that simple.  Since we've been off the gold standard, the only thing standing behind our currency is the faith people have in the ability of the government to make good on their financial commitments.  So it's all about confidence.  You notice how loudly all the beaureaucrats in Washington are whistling?  While all the (non-government) economists are tearing their hair out and screaming about fiscal irresponsibility?  The whole thing is done with smoke and mirrors.  A house of cards just waiting for an unsteady hand.

Quinn
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:10:11 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »
A house of CREDIT cards just waiting for an unsteady hand.
Quinn,
I had to modify your quote to reflect that the goverment is behaving like the folks with all of the debt they had no buisness accumulating. Just get another card and transfer the debt. The current government credit card has our face on it!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »
Doug:

it certainly looks like the chinese engine (redstone) has a lot going for it.

from what i have seen of it, it is a quantum leap above any indian product that i have
ever seen or heard of.

solid engineering, very good casting quality, top notch machining

don't expect there will be any serious issues with this engine

doesn't appear like the assemblers used a sledge hammer, and they seem to be able
to keep the real estate out of the crankcase and in china.

having a real oil pump, cross drilled crank, and no gib keys to fret over certainly are but a few
of many things that set it apart from listeroids.

bob g

Now replace the words redstone with E type Jag and China with UK.
Yes they looked great looks absolutely breat taking, but if the Lucas electrics didn't fail  you in the first months the fact it could be heard desolving in your drive way durring the rain would break your heart. You can't judge things based on looks......

Bob I sincerly hope you guys have something there that works and sells but I am not convinced untill there are some lucky non beta testers out there to say its realy that good. Of course like all things someone else will jump on the band waggon, maybe the container is already on its way ( since I let cat out of the bag a while back ).

So step right up who has some money and would like to test the reliability of a new engine that holds a lot of potential?

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
Dave,

I'm glad somebody's awake!

Tom Clancy wrote a book* a while ago something about some crazed Samurai pilot flying a fully fueled 747 into the Capitol building while the President was speaking to a joint session of Congress.  Eery in this post-911 world.  Anyway, the ensuing mayhem caused confidence in the economic system to collapse, and with it, the whole economy.  He went on and on about how the economy is built on credit, and credit on confidence.  So with nothing but confidence behind the monetary system the whole thing can come tumbling down like a house of cards.  Ok, I plagiarized his metaphor.  But his point was valid, and somewhat prophetic, I think.  The torpedoing of the economy was likely one of the aims of the orchestrators of the 911 plot.  

q.

[*Debt of Honor (1994)]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:58:43 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew