Author Topic: Redstone engines  (Read 151110 times)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Redstone engines
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 02:08:21 PM »
and 1800 sounds so soothing compared to 3600 rpm !! LOL !!!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
lol

Ever hear a Formula one race car turning  20,000+ RPM  now that is a screamer.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »
Indeed I have , from the pit lane at Silverstone !!  RPM's are reducing from this season though , to reduce cost's.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »
Indeed I have , from the pit lane at Silverstone !!  RPM's are reducing from this season though , to reduce cost's.

Yes i think they have them limited to 19k

My wife and I have attended every F1 race at the Indianapolis motor speedway since they have been racing there.  Unfortunately there was no race in the USA last year and we had to go to Canada (was a very nice event) This year we may go to race in GB or Italy this year since there is no race in North America  >:(.  Did I mention I despise Bernie Ecclestone!!!

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »
Well this year is the last British GP at Silverstone , it moves to Donington next year , so it will be an historic event. Also , the exchange rate is on your side currently. Would be wise to book up well in advance to get good seats though as I think this year will be a sell out. It's my ambition to see a major NHRA and NASCAR event soon , any recommendation on the best of those to attend ? 
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
Well this year is the last British GP at Silverstone , it moves to Donington next year , so it will be an historic event. Also , the exchange rate is on your side currently. Would be wise to book up well in advance to get good seats though as I think this year will be a sell out. It's my ambition to see a major NHRA and NASCAR event soon , any recommendation on the best of those to attend ? 

For NASCAR probably the Daytona 500 but they have so many races and it depends if you want to see high speed oval/tri-ovals or road courses.  (south east USA)

For NHRA probably the US nationals in Indianapolis   (Mid West)

carl

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
The Redstone engines look worthy of a full automation system...already has the electrics...nice when the wimmen can start them..
Making a Lister fully automatic kinda wrecks the beauty and simplicity of the engine..adding starters,wiring,pullys,solenoids quickly makes it into a frankenlister...
Redstones come ugly enough already to warrant automation....
I see the original Blackstone was 16hp at 800 rpm...so the similaritys are only in the engine configuration?
Cheers
Tug

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
Jens;

The users group is a technical discussion board for people who either have a Redstone or have torn one down and rebuilt it.  For someone who has never seen one it would be difficult, to say the least, to follow the conversations and have any grasp of what is being said.  I think you made your case quite definitively for NOT being invited when you claimed it was "unproven" and "overpriced" without knowiing the slightest thing about the engine's capabilities.

'Nuff said, I'm done.

John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
from what i have read on utterpower re the redstone, i am not led to believe the engine is not ready for prime time
but rather an effort to ward off those individuals that aren't ready for prime time.

we all know the type, the guy that wants a hands off, turnkey genset and has neither tools, experience of a will to learn.

or the kind of fellar that has issues with everything he touches.

seems like a reasonable approach to me?

i am reminded of a quote attributed to ettore' bugatti
when confronted by a customer that had bought one of his race cars with a gripe that it was very hard to start on cold mornings,
he answered  "if you can afford one of my cars, you can afford to house it in a heated garage, have a nice day"

ettore' might have been better served to use the utterpower approach to weed out the problem children before they become a problem for him?

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »
Ah , good old Ettore !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
It's all about attitude:  Either you have it or you don't.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 01:29:27 AM »
Is the Redstone users group a private site ? Can you read and follow along with the progress of these engines without being an Redstone owner/member ?  I would buy one in a second if I had the cash to do so. The way I look at it is there is nothing else on the market that appears to be a viable solution for a high horsepower low speed engine.  Even if the engine turned out to be not as well built as advertised it could not be any worse than a listeroid, and the cost is comparable.  I think it would be a much better solution than a twin listeroid due to the lower parts count and better apparent quality alone.  I would love to hear about some real, first hand experiance with this unit.  Jens, you need to buy one, work your mojo on it, run the hell out of it like you do your listeroid and report on it ! 

Stan

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »
You're a lot closer to Seattle.
Stan

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Attitude

There is good attitude and bad attitude and all shades in between.  There is also another word where one of the tees is replaced with a pea.  George at utterpower starts off with a warning about the applicability of a listeroid to the owner.......

I would be interested in the progress from this side of the pond.  I have a dark version of those engines - very dark.  I intend picking it up next week as I can now get the lorry off the field, without making a mess.  I shall be looking to see what is misssing from it and hopefully the parts will be obtainable somehow.  I am expecting it to be 16 horses at about 800RPM  and 10 at about 500RPM.

Slight difference is that the red one is an over-square engine so would not be so happy at the lower revs, I would guess, and would not be quite as long lived as the slower engine.  All pretty academic if they all last a life-time anyhow.  Oil pump capacity/gearing will be optimised for the rev range and that might be one area that could be looked at.  It is obviously a different engine, to avoid plagiarising the efforts/developments of others but the similarities are there to see.

Regards, RAB

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »
John,

I for one would be very interested in being able to follow along on whatever forum is out there regarding these engines.  Perhaps setting up something where only owners can post might work.  However, there is also a ton of practical experience that owners might directly benefit from that would be excluded by doing that.

I'm am still very interested in one of these, just can't swing it because cash is a bit short right now.  However, eventually it might be a possibility, especially if I get frustrated by the lack of Lister parts for my CD and CE models.  (understand why parts availability is an issue for me?)

I don't believe limiting available information is to anyone's benefit.  Further, imho limiting available information will most certainly limit sales as a large part of selling is building up anticipation.  I know of no better way to do that than by following along the trials and tribulations in a forum...

Just my thoughts.

Steve