Author Topic: Crankcase Paint?  (Read 11423 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Crankcase Paint?
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:05:51 AM »
There has been several threads on what to use and not to use. What is a good paint that will hold up inside the crankcase? I know some have use Gyptol but I'm getting low on it so what else have you guys used that works?
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: Crankcase Paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »
Dave,

Any oil based enamel will work fine in the crankcase of a diesel.  Where you run into trouble is with gasoline engines because of all the volatiles in gasoline that get into the oil.  I've used plain old Rustoleum enamels on both my 6/1s and they are fine.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »
Hello xyzer

When I painted the inside of my 10/1 I could not easily find gyptol so I used gray engine high temp enamel in a spray shaker can.
Then a second coat of black of same quality. And then a third coat of gray. So far I have changed oil only twice but the paint inside looks ok. First oil change at 30 hrs and second at 130 hrs.

billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:09:34 AM »
GLYPTAL - AVAILABLE ON EBAY IN QUARTS RIGHT NOW, ABOUT $39.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
I was told good old Tremclad rust paint is ideal. I used it on mine, and it its been good for just over a month and two oil changes so far.(About 300 hours) No signs of softening or flaking.
      I used a fairly bright yellow, it sure makes things bright and easy to see in there!
                                                                                          Good Luck.

Stan

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
If  your crankcase is porous enough to allow engine oil to seep through, then after you have cleaned it thoroughly, it's porous enough to allow oil based paint to soak into it and seal it tight.  Just like oil based stain on wood!
Stan

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
It sounds like any good oil base will do the job....Thanks for the heads up guys. '
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

12 gauge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:46:16 AM »
Hi Dave,

Here's another one, I used silver POR-15.  It's a little spendy, but it doesn't take much to do a 6/1 and does a nice job with 1 coat.

Best regards,

RH

Stan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
I love POR but once you open the can, you'd better use it all up within a couple of weeks, even if you put plastic under the top and never dip a brush into the original can!  You end up with a solid can of .....something!  ???
Stan

12 gauge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »
Stan,
I've heard of that happening, but it's not been my experience.  In fact the paint I used on my 6/1 was from a partly used can over a year old.  Go figure???
RH

Stan

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05:21 AM »
POR is cured not by exposure to air (ie: by evapouration of a volatile liquid) but by exposure to water (vapour).  If you are in an area of high humidity it will cure much faster than if your air is dry. 
Stan

vt woodchuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »
Hi guys ; POR-15 is truly a great product with many uses other than surface protection. The following is some information about the product.
Por-15 paint is moistured cured. That said, it doesn't mean you can paint over a water soaked surface and have it stick.
Facts about POR-15.
surface MUST be free of oil and grease and dry to the touch.
solids- 74%,
tested at 700 degrees F, no loss of adhesion, or hardness after 10 hrs
pigment used in black is pure carbon, in silver it is aluminum
it is UV sensitive
covers 96 sq.ft. single coat, 2 coats are recomended
it is impervious to gasoline, oil, chromic acid, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, 50% sulfuric and hydrofluoric acids.
DO NOT SPRAY WITHOUT USING ORGANIC VAPOR RESPORATOR OR FRESH AIR SUPPLIED HOOD. Contains polymeric isocyanate derivatives. It is too expensive spray even with HVLP equipment. It is self leveling. A bristle or foam brush will leave a streak free finish.
DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN, stir gently ( like a martini ) Very little stirring is required as pigment stays in suspension really well.
If you sand blast POR with Black Beauty it will bounce off it. Eventually you can wear a hole through it, but you will not be able to get under it and chip off the paint.
Preservation of opened can: 1 drop of water will ruin a whole can of paint. Short term storage---Clean groove really good and put plastic wrap between can and lid. Turn can upside down and store in refrigerator. By inverting the can, if the paint does skim over the skim will be on the bottom when you go to use it. Use as soon as possible.
Long term storage: Transfer unused paint into a smaller container. You are trying to reduce the air space on top of the paint as much as possible. Then follow short term storage.
mike
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:45:17 PM by vt woodchuck »
Mike D.
1959-JD730 die., Dodge die.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
Hello guys

I took a look at ebay and found gobs of por-15 listed,  the store has 100% perfect feedback so far.
Here is a link to a buy it now that looks like it might be just enough for 1 coat inside a single cylinder block!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POR-15-SUPER-STARTER-KIT-SILVER-GENUINE-POR15_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem290303687772QQitemZ290303687772QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

many other colors if you look for them. It does say ships inside usa though. :(

billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?