Puppeteer

Author Topic: Help wanted- RV gas ovens  (Read 4384 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Help wanted- RV gas ovens
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
Anybody familiar with RV ovens?

I'm working on my new off grid home's "gas (LP) kitchen" which will also (I nearly forgot) need to be wheelchair accessible. I'm doing OK, but have MS so building accessible seems the best insurance.

I am thinking about using an RV range (just for the oven only) mounted on a counter, with an RV range top beside it. It will be a custom build in job, with an elaborate fume hood as I'm pretty sensitive to LP fumes.

The question is: Of the common brands, Maytag (formerly Magic Chef), Suburban, and Atwood, which has the best oven design (cooking volume, ease of cleaning, durability)? I won't use the broiler (alas they all have one). I haven't been able to find any good review or critique information online and there are no big RV shops nearby for me to look at them.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case there were some savy RV'ers out there who might help me out. Thanks!
Bruce

Dail R H

• View Profile
Re: Help wanted- RV gas ovens
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
   Ya might try consumer reports

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
Consumer reports doesn't have any reviews of RV ranges.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
How about a gas oven that actualy burns Gas

By this I mean the price of LP is quite so why not look for a retro gasoline stove and buy up a couple of drums of Naptha gas per season for cooking.

Sears " Kenmore " brand used have a wonderful kerosene stove that I remember my grandmother cooking on. a Gas/Kerosne stove when running is also just as clean and safe to use as propane. Infact i would saya Kerosene range is probably significantly safer and there are Kerosene refridgerators Just like the propane versions ( find some Amish and ask them if they can point out where they get there stuff ). And uses K1 and your probably going  to be running diesels for electricicty and pumping running a mixture of mystery fuels K1 has the advantage of always being around in bulk for use as cutter stock.

]http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/stovepz.html

Look in here and see some like the old Preway Kitchen range before you judge me a nut
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:10:19 PM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »
No thanks on the gasoline or kerosene stove.  The kitchen is already plumbed for propane.

I found some picts of the interiors of the different brands of RV ovens on ebay, and both Atwood and Suburban look OK for oven space.  Got an almost new Suburban range heading my way now. 

The "classic" wheelchair accessible cooking setup is a counter top convection oven and two burner hot plate on a table such that you have leg room under it.  This allows you to not have to twist while lifting pots of hot food.  I'm going to do something similar with the RV oven and a separate gas cooktop.

Bruce M
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:15:39 AM by BruceM »