Author Topic: buiding a generator load bank  (Read 7958 times)

barry100

• View Profile
buiding a generator load bank
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »
Hi All --I want to build a genset load bank, to test around  20-25 kva 3phase 415v , I have 9 finned 3700 watts 415 v  elements , I intend to have  3 steps, ie 3 switches  each controling 3 elements , not sure what the total watts will be , or what would be the best star or delta for longer element life, any ideas on the subject.
Barry

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: buiding a generator load bank
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »
I don't think Star or Delta will really make any difference to the elements.  What will make a big difference in their lifespan is the air flow over them.  With oly 9 fins,I am guessing they are pretty small?  You will want to allow for a good fan driven windstorm past those fins.  Offsetting them, or adding expanded metal in the airstream will also help turbulate the airflow and improve the heat transfer from the fins to the air.  This cooling will also help keep the internal resistances consistent so the load bank remains at a steady load over a longer time period.  Some units I have seen, the blowers on the loadbank, were nearly as loud as the engine under test:)  That is a big load, Good luck.   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
I read that as he  has 9 x 3700 watt finned elements ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
You need Cosine theta, the power factor, to convert kVA to uniity power factor if your value is an inductive loading specification. 

Overloading a generator could easily 'let the smoke out', especially if it is a modern, cheap generatorr with little overload capacity.

Ideally you wouldl need to load up the phases separately for test purposes, or is this machine a 'three wire' where three phases cannot be separated?  I am suspecting this as your resistors are rated at 415 volts?  Or maybe it is something else?

You need to wire them in parallel for a maximum power of 33kW, reducing in number to below your maximum load, whatever that might be (we don't know this value to within about 9kW - might be as low as 16 and as high as 25).

Your steps would be 3 x 3.7kW, 6 x 3.7kW or 9 x 3.7kW if you use you 3 switches to simply add in groups of 3 elements.  The last option being patently inappropriate.

The third set could be switched in as a series set of three elements (at 3.7/3kW) or one plus two in parallel which would be approx 2.5kW (depending on actual resistance at the temperature achieved).

So, with your 3 switches you could achieve 11.1, 12.3, 22.2, 23.4, 24.7 or 33.3kW, but not all, as your last set could only be wired in one of the alternative configurations.  All values approximate.  Not a very useful set of values for testing purposes.

I see no other useful resistance values with your available components in the arrays that you are telling us you will be using.  Unless of course you intend using 3 sets of 3 switches or 3 rotary switches with  mutiple contacts.

The element sets in a series of three or the one and 'two in parallel would be expected to have much longer lifespans than the ones with 415 volts across them.

That lot said - now what exactly do you have, and want to do?  Test each winding (phase)? Simply load up the system? 3 switches or 9?

RAB

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
Hi All -- Thanks for the replys-- The elements are heavy duty   finned type, the Engines  are  Lister HR3/4 Types . It's the engines I want to put under load to be able to  demonstate to a customer, I understand I may only  load an engine say 75% because the next step of the  load may be too large , the generators are  3 active and neutral, I just happened to have the 3700  watt 415v elements . So will  wire them the up in Star, one switch will bring in 3 elements in  wired in parallel, another switch will bring another 3 in and so on untill I get nine ellements all in parallel via the 3 swiches
Barry

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:50:28 AM »
Hi all
I have finished the load bank at first I wired them all in star but was only getting 5 amps @ 441 volts  per phase then did it  in delta and got 14 amps , so in the end I did two banks in delta and one in star total  33 amps to be compatible to my gensets , I can alter it latter if need be to a total of 42 amps
Barry