Puppeteer

Poll

So How do you feel as compared to past bad times

I feel good ( soft and squshy as ever )
7 (25%)
I am thinning but still optomistic ( have job just belt tightening )
11 (39.3%)
Worried ( have job but money is very short )
7 (25%)
Scared ( No work, living on Pogey )
2 (7.1%)
Scared Shitless ( POgey is used up have eaten the dog fat neighbor looks he's tender )
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: March 18, 2009, 11:04:33 PM

Author Topic: Worst recession Ever  (Read 21023 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Worst recession Ever
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »
Lots of people moping about saying this is worst recession ever.

Well I remember worse times, so lets all sit back watch this video and recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYtYBI6eZ3E

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Worst recession Ever
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:12:21 PM »
Thing is , we haven't seen the worst of it yet !! 
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

AdeV73

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »
Heh, the Python team certainly came up with some brilliant comedy.

"One on't cross beams gone owt askew on 'treadle" - still makes me laugh every time... "I fart in your general direction!" ;D

As for the recession... I've never been busier, snowed under in fact. Unfortunately, my next major installation job is in 8 police stations in Northern Ireland  :o

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »
My understand is that the only thing worse than growing up during a depression is to be raised by people that have grown up during a depression.  At least the Monty Python boys had hope.  Lucky bastards.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:43:48 PM »
However long this one lasts , we'll all be paying for it for decades.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:16:52 AM »

Why do you think I want to emigrate? OK, Europe's in at least as much trouble as the UK/US/Canada(?), but by going off-grid in particular, I reckon I'll be insulated from the worst of it. I've got enough equity in my UK home to sell up (even at the deflated prices we've got now) & buy for cash on the continent.

Best of all, I won't have to watch our ridiculous gurning prime mentalist any more! What a relief that will be... The only thing I'll end up relying completely on external providers for, I hope, is internet access... now, if civilisation collapses, that might be a problem... how will I keep up with the latest Lister-related news then?  ;D

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:52:17 AM »
Not exactly Adev. The Finacial system is srock solid and credit flows easy in Canada. the banks are tightly regulated here so they didn't get mixed up in the money scams south of the boarder. House prices have dropped a little but are stable and new housing starts are way down about 1/3.
We ran trade surpluses and budget surpluses for years before and the Average Canadian is not in as deap debt as the average American
On the surface of it we are actualy in good shape.

Trouble is 70% of our trade is with the USA and they are not buying, and the Chinese are not buying and they were the great hope for the future.

NAFTA in hind sight was all the eggs in one basket and I don't hear anymore talk of a free trade deal with the EU lately.

And that fat guy down the street has disapeared....

I don't think this is the end, but maybe its the begining of something a little more humble and honest

Then there is the new revolutionary RED option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdxpnqF1x0U&feature=related
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:09:45 AM »
Well the stock market had a bit of a rebound today.  Like Doug said, our financial institutions are in pretty good shape.  The drop in the price of oil has hurt Alberta, Sask and Newfoundland, but they will recover soon enough.  Southern Ontario is taking a bath as it is the center of our manufacturing jobs.  Growing up in Oshawa, always new I could work at the motors... not true today... that will hurt

Back in April I could have got a really good job, making nearly double what I do to day in the private sector... glad I stayed with the Fed Govt... now if I can get the French training I need I am set!!!

I think the gov'ts are doing the right thing investing in infrastructure, most needs to be fixed, and it is a great way to get things going again. 

But Obama will have to sort out that mess in the banks, started by Carter, made worse by Clinton and ingored by GWB one and two.  Its a real mess.

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 01:47:46 AM »
You sound like a Smurfist now too.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 04:47:32 AM »
It's a shame those American democrats are so laissez-faire about banks.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:17:18 AM »
sorry fellars, obama has no clue

much like showing up to a gun fight with a dull knife
he thinks throwing money at the banking system is going to fix the problem?

ya right, about as effective as throwing gas on a fire.

we haven't seen the bottom yet, i fear.

and yes i hope i am wrong, very wrong!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 05:36:08 AM »
... now if I can get the French training I need I am set!!!  

That sounds like a tee shirt slogan that could have been worn by Al Bundy off Married With Children....."I don't need training in French ...I'm married".  ;)

I think the gov'ts are doing the right thing investing in infrastructure, most needs to be fixed, and it is a great way to get things going again. 

Yes there appears to be merit in that plan.

But Obama will have to sort out that mess in the banks, started by Carter, made worse by Clinton and ingored by GWB one and two.  Its a real mess.

Obama cannot easily 'fix the banking system'.  The problem did not originate with Carter, it started with Rothschilds who control the US money supply through a private bank called the Federal Reserve which purposfully is named to deceive people into thinking it is under Federal Government control.  They create insane wealth and power (the Golden Rule, He who has all the gold rules) for themselves with schemes like arranging the Great Wars and loaning money to both sides.  They steal the wealth created by all workers through the 'fractional reserve banking system'.  This system allows banks to loan money that is not backed by any form of reserve collateral owned by said banks.  They then charge customers interest on this non-existent money creating huge wealth for themselves and debt to all others in the process. They arrange depressions by shutting off the money system by stopping to lend money (sound familiar?) periodically so that they can then legally steal the real property like farms, etc., owned by its debtors.  If you and I tried to do this we would be quickly arrested for fraud.  Every single US President that has tried to put the USA back in charge of its own money supply has been assasinated/murdered.  John F. Kennedy was the last to try.  Without the 'fractional reserve money system' and with the US in charge, empowered again to issue its own money (Greenbacks) there would be no national debt.  Obama cannot easily 'fix the banking system'.  

This film, The Money Masters, reveals all you need to know.  Download it to your computer so that you will still have a copy when it mysteriously disappears.  Knowledge is power and we are not suppossed to know this stuff.
http://www.freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=243

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »

Why do you think I want to emigrate? OK, Europe's in at least as much trouble as the UK/US/Canada(?), but by going off-grid in particular, I reckon I'll be insulated from the worst of it. I've got enough equity in my UK home to sell up (even at the deflated prices we've got now) & buy for cash on the continent.

Best of all, I won't have to watch our ridiculous gurning prime mentalist any more! What a relief that will be... The only thing I'll end up relying completely on external providers for, I hope, is internet access... now, if civilisation collapses, that might be a problem... how will I keep up with the latest Lister-related news then?  ;D

I've thought about emigrating long and hard as the UK now offends every sensibility I have !! My first choice would be the USA , but I'd never qualify !! Pity , being in some wide open space with no irritating neighbours has massive appeal !!  Spain somehow doesn't do it for me . In Europe I would probably go for France or one of the Eastern European countries , but having done no research I wouldn't know which. Apart from financial issues , the UK's main problem is the ridiculous and intrusive petty legislation that seem's to have infected every aspect of authority. What sums it up for me is this waste disposal thing. Watching a TV news feature the other day which showed a whiney little dick from some Council knocking on some poor unfortunates door and slapping them with an £80 fixed penalty notice for some bin infringement made me think thats the end for the UK !! Particularly when I watched an expose on the way the Government pi55es our tax pound up the wall in every way possible , eg , one government department spent £250,000 last year , on office pot plants !!!  Arrrrrrrrrgh . get me out of here  !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
Yeah, I watched that documentary too... £12.7 billion (that's £12,700,000,000.00...) on a computer system for the NHS - which doesn't work & isn't finished, and the politicians have the nerve to be proud of that spending! I'm a member of a freelancer's organisation; there's about 18,000 members, we reckon that if all 18000 were drafted in, the NHS system would be written & installed in less than a year... and 12.7bn would pay us a healthy £700k each. Not bad for a year's work...

Anyway...

I couldn't emigrate to the US, probably for similar reasons to you: But, look closely (and I defy any American to disagree with this) - the USA is more regulated even than the UK! The EPA sound like a particularly officious bunch, for example...

Canada I know very little about. I did look at the emigration possibilities about 10 years ago, but IIRC I was borderline on points then, and I can only imagine it's worse now. Plus it's pretty cold in winter in Canada....

Spain: Has a bad rep, mainly because of the English (which is shameful). But if you go out where there's no English, and actually integrate into the culture, it's actually a very nice place to be. Avoid Malaga, Marbella, in fact most of the Med coastline - too many British chavs ruining the place. I'm also looking at Portugal - it's apparently even nicer & friendlier than Spain, with a similar climate. What's not to like, other than their crazy language...  ;)

I'd not really considered the more central & Eastern countries (Germany, Italy, Switzerland, etc.) - no particular reason...

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
It's not the first time that the NHS have messed up on a computer system , I recall about 10 years ago there was a similar incident. Dunno about the USA being more regulated , one thing they don't have is muckin speed camera's !!  There are possibly a few area's of notable regulation , like the EPA , but I think it's State dependant for other stuff ? No doubt I'll be put straight !! Thing about the US is the SPACE !!  Then the landscape !!  Imagine living out in a desert region , couple of CS SOM's for company to provide for the creature comforts , couple of old bikes , big old pick-up , couple of old cars , huge workshop and piece and quiet !! Bliss !!
When I was thinking of East European it was more Poland , Romania , Budapest , etc in mind.  Highly cultured but low cost of living and great landscape !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial