Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine break-in after teardown/inspection/reuse old rings?  (Read 6111 times)

tlfrantz1

• Leapin' Listeroids
    • View Profile
Engine break-in after teardown/inspection/reuse old rings?
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:32:18 PM »
Soon I will be the proud new owner of an Ashwamegh 25/2, to which I plan to do a complete teardown/inspection. My question is, can I reuse the old piston rings afterward? I know these things are run at the "factory" which would make me think the rings are at least a little worn in. Can I hone it and reuse the rings? When I get the engine running it'll be connected to a gen so I can load it for break-in...

Also, who is a good source for Ashy parts? I will need a gasket set in this process.

Thanks!
Tommy
Q: What is the difference between God and Barack Obama?
A: God doesn't think He's Barack Obama.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Engine break-in after teardown/inspection/reuse old rings?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
I doubt they ran it long enough to even knock off any roughness, if it has been run at all.

Regards, RAB

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Also, who is a good source for Ashy parts? I will need a gasket set in this process.

try gaskets-to-go, he does a superb job on any gaskets you need according to feedback I've seen. (I've never dealt with him myself)

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
Unless you can see heavy scratches on the rings (they would be apparent on the cylinder too) they should be reuseable. you can try Central Maine Diesel, he has complete gasket sets for under $50.00. no affilation blaa blaa blaa.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
The rings should be fine, unless you detect a problem with them during teardown(cracked or scratched).  Other than the head gasket, all the other gaskets are just made from standard gasket paper.  They are also quite easy to make with gasket paper in varying thicknesses available at just about any auto parts store.  I re-used my head gasket after soaking in liquid floor wax to flood the porus internal material between the copper sheets.  All the paper gaskets I made myself by either tracing the old ones that I was able to remove intact, or by laying a new piece of gasket material over the opening and tracing/finding the hole locations on.

Good Luck.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »
Ronmar,

Wasn't that what a ball-pein hammer was invented for?

Regards, RAB

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:20:59 AM »
every self respecting mechanic has a "felpro" hammer :)

(felpro is a gskt manufacture here in the states, fwiw)

basically a felpro hammer is the smallest ballpein hammer you can find

with a little spray gskt adhesive to hold the sheet of gskt stock stuck down to the part
a little ballpein makes short work of cutting out gskts, along with their attendant holes.

my little felpro gskt hammer has been around for the better part of 35 years, and has made
hundreds if not thousands of gskts. often time in the shop it is faster to knock out a custom gskt than
it is to walk to the parts dept and explain what gskt is needed.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
Bob,
every self respecting mechanic has a "felpro" hammer

I second that. 

Although I use a bit bigger head when knocking out BIG gaskets.  Also, I simply knock out one bolt hole and fit in a bolt, then work along adding extra 'positioning' bolts as necessary.

The only down-side is that perhaps the edges of the gasket are not as 'pretty' as some on the forum would need :).  Just as functionable, though, and often a lot cheaper.  There are many gaskets on my tractors that just have to be made and one roll of gasket material will make any shape of gasket whenever required...

Regards, RAB

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »
I have that hammer:)

Some of the gaskets were easier done setting in the living room with an exacto though due to stud locations, but the small ballpeen will make quick work of most...  I think I did all the gaskets on my 6/1, including the multiple base gasket and TRB carrier gaskets to set those spacings, for maybe $5 in gasket material.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

bob ww

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
I find that holes that are hard to get to with a hammer, are easily done with the appropriate sized ball bearing welded or brazed onto a length of rod.