Author Topic: Lister.Brushes.  (Read 6859 times)

bob ww

• View Profile
Lister.Brushes.
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »
I have a 6/1 SOM.With Lister alternator number.27377N.2.5KVA.230Volts.@1500 RPM>
Can anyone please tell me the length of the two DC brushes when new and the brush tension.
Bob ww.

andypc42

• View Profile
Re: Lister.Brushes.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
Hi Bob

I think they are 7/8 x 5/8 x 11/2 (thats seven eights by five eights by inch and a half).Grade HM6.
I had to replace my slip ring brushes and they were supplied by Engineering Carbon Products. Hope this info is helpful to you.

Regards

andypc42

andypc42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »
Sorry Guys
I did not make the dimensions very clear.  The Imperial ones are the DC comm brushes.  The slip ring sizes are 20mm x 8mm x 20mm Grade M14.

Regards
andypc42

bob ww

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
Thank you for replying andypc42.Unfortunately your alternator must be different to mine.I have just measured my brushes and the dimensions are 7/8"Long-1"Wide-1/4"Thick.There must be some wear on the length of the brushes,as when they are resting on the commutator, the top of the brush is a good 3/16"down from the top of the brush holder.
If anybody has any more information about brush sizes and spring tension i would be glad to hear from you.
Thanks again Andy.

builder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »
if you take the old brushes to a carbon brush company nearest to you they will test for the right copper content and hardness, measure from the top of the brass brush holder to the com then add a 1/4 of an inch that should allow enough for sanding to bed
cheers carl

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
Try these guys......

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/home.php

This is the most comprehensive Lister start-o-matic parts supplier I have come across.
If they don't have what you need on their web-shop, just contact them and they will help you out.

Real nice guys!!!

Matt