Puppeteer

Author Topic: Frequency meter  (Read 39803 times)

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Frequency meter
« on: March 08, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »

Does anyone know how to or what else I may need to install one of these, It is a frequency meter from a consolidated diesel electric generator. most likely a military surplus unit since it is marked for 50 & 60 Hz. I got a few really cheap when I started this project. One of them has a sticker on the back with 200 ma written on it. the teminals are labled + & - only. if the image did not come thru (i have never been able to post an image, obviously i'm doing something wrong) they can be seen at my lister engine gallery page,  Scott Rutherford, they are labled, "lister generator accesories 001 & 002 "
    Thanks, SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: Frequency meter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I was thinking it may use a ring gear or crank sensor, if so I'm probably out of luck since the emgine will not be running 1800 rpm. but thanks for the input.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
Hmm, I have to wonder if the meter itself really measures frequency directly, or if it needs additional electronics to convert frequency to a voltage that drives the meter...

The sticker that says "200uA" suggests that it takes 200 microamps to drive it to full scale, and the "+" & "-" symbols indicate it wants DC.
I going to guess that it's just a plain old 0-200 uA DC meter with a face calibrated in Hz and there's some other electronics that actually does the Hz to microamps conversion to drive the meter.

I'd take a 1.5 volt flashlight battery and put a 15,000 ohm resistor in series with it and connect it to those terminals. That would put 100 microamps through the meter, and I'd bet that swings the needle to about 1/2 scale.

Just a guess...
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »
A frequency meter?

About a fiver from Lidls when they have them in.  Plug in job.  Shows either wattage (of appliance plugged into unit), voltage, Hertz, total power consumed since previous reset and probably more.

I also use my digi multimeter, or could compare rpm with optical rev counter (I use the mains to calibrate it).  Your meter probably takes a dc output supplied from another tranducer.  Most are 4-20 mA or 0-10V nowadays.

Regards, RAB

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
He said milliamps not micro.  A factor of 1000 out.  Lower case is milli, upper case is Mega.  It would be shunted and actual movement current may well be as low as 200 micro-amps.

Regards, RAB

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »
He said milliamps not micro. 
Regards, RAB

Yes, he SAID milliamps, but the paper sticker on the side of the meter says microamps. Sorry my keyboard don't have the right symbol, but it looks like 200uA, not 200mA.
Steve

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:01:01 PM »
I would start by taking my ohmmeter and measuring the resistance between those terminals in BOTH directions. If it's a few hundred ohms, and the same in both directions, then it's almost certainly just a standard DC meter movement. If the needle MOVES when you connect your ohmmeter to it in one of the directions, then for sure it is.
Steve

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
Thanks gentelmen, I have three of them so i could let the smoke out of one, I try to keep a spare, of anything i have, on hand, just in case. Like i said it's pretty old & looks like surplus military to me because of the 50, 60 Hz indication on the dial. guess i'll try the 15,000 ohm resistor & battery as Mcac Gyver suggests, seems like it would be less distructive to me, but what do i know. thanks again for the input.

SR.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »
It's certainly out of a military surplus gen set, found a picture of a consolidated gen set with the exact freq meter in the panel listed as an "mep007 gen set" no manuals or anything else at all on the web or wiki for consolidated or the mep007. But I can buy the 100 kw set for 2500 bucks, go figure. Consolidated seems to be still in business, maybe i can contact them.  Thanks again.

SR.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:09:42 AM »
Would give an oppinion but I can't see any image !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »
Sorry Compig, just figured out how to do that (with Wrightkillers instructions)  lets see if i can do it thats not it
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »

Lets see it that did it
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 12:53:54 PM »
Well what do you know, you can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes two years!! :)  Lets see if i can do it again!                                                                   

Twice in a row,  thanks Wrightkiller.

Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »
O.K. there's the pics, OH, probably should not do the larger pics for the slow band width guys. They can also be seen in my gallery at                                                http://www.listerenginegallery.com/

Thanks again or all the info  SR.
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »
Difficult to tell from these images , but it could possible be a moving disc type meter which will read AC frequency direct with no transducer. Easy way to check is find a source of low voltage line AC , the secondary of a transformer in some low voltage equipment for example. Take a feed off that through a potentiometer so that the voltage can be increased safely to the meter. If it can read directly , the frequency will of course be indicated , if not you will see the pointer in a blurred oscillation !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!