Puppeteer

Author Topic: SPEED CONTROL  (Read 20261 times)

kpgv

Re: SPEED CONTROL
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 01:52:20 AM »
Referenceing governor speed from the "driven" element is a BAD IDEA.
Example:
1) Belt Breaks, (Driven element SLOWS down).
   a) Sensor sees low speed, (Trys to SPEED UP driven element).
       1) ENGINE OVERSPEED!!!!! :o :o :o
           (Outcome):
           a) Got there in time to do EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN (Need Hot water for "laundry"). :P
           b)............ :'(

BE SAFE

Kevin       

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 02:21:09 AM »
Good thinking i hadnt thought of that engine
cheers Mick

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2006, 01:37:48 AM »
  Just put your magnets directly on the crankshaft.  If it breaks you have other things to worry about. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

listeroidsusa

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2006, 04:15:52 AM »
If anyone is interested in a cruise control type setup check out the CA3228 Integrated Circuit chip. These are very inexpensive and were the basis for earlier cruise controls. New model cars have a dual feedback source which made these chips obsolete. They work well with our applications however. You'll need some electronics background to implement them in a governor system.

Mike

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2006, 11:15:22 PM »
Mike, is there a source on the web for basic info on how to run chips like these? One time I fixed up an old 73 Dart with a slant 6. Just for fun I took the cruise control setup off an 80's Diplomat (6cyl) and put it on the Dart. There was a whole line of them at the Upull-it and I had many examples of how to hook it up right. It worked great. All I had to do was make sure the linkage was correct and hook up the sensors and the "control box" and get an original-looking switch for the steering column.  My wife thought I was a genious.

I agree like many of you guys that a solid state system would be a great idea and using older parts can be extremely economical and effective. Am I being too naive? Any links would be great, THANKS.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

mjn

• View Profile
    • My Changfa Generator Project
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
Google turns up lots of hits, but most of them want you to pay to download the datasheet.  Here is a link to one that does not charge for the datasheet for the CA3228.  http://www.tranzistoare.ro/datasheets2/11/115864_1.pdf

According to the datasheet,  this is an obsolete product.  I searched digikey, newark, and jameco, and none of them even know about the part.
Changfa 195 7.5 kw ST.  WVO conversion http://martin.nile.googlepages.com/
Metro 6/1 DI Listeroid. Pumping water for fire control.
1933 Stover CT-1 hit and miss
1936 Farmall F-12 -- unrestored, still used to mow the field

Doug

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
This is being made more complicated than needed.

Doug

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
Dear Doug,

If you know of a reliable, easy to implement, inexpensive way to get this done, we would be eternally greatful.

We'd get you a plaque.

We'd even send you birthday cards.

I'm all ears,

troy

Doug

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2006, 02:52:47 AM »
I sugested a current sensing relay to drive a to pull in a secondary spring a while back this isn't stepless but it will bring up the rpms. The real issue is the set up and fit and finish of the factory govener, and lots of people around here have made sugestions about how to improve there performance.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but simple is usualy better. Sure I could program a PID loop and use a 948 compact to do all kinds of cool stuff with engine but who wants to get a lap top out at 3 AM when the power is out because the system has become unstable and is hunting?

Doug   

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »
Dear Doug,

We are agreed that the mechanical govenor will do a lot for you if you blueprint it to work as designed.  I suppose some would like an add on electronic gizmo that magically makes up for slop in the linkage and binding and whatnot.  Even if the device were properly designed from a electronics standpoint, slop and binding will still make it less than perfect or even unworkable.

Finest regards,

troy

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 02:33:36 AM »
George B. has posted the details of his gov control kit ...can't get any more simple than that...

Thanks again George...another gem of wisdom...

http://utterpower.com/gov_mod.htm

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2006, 02:59:29 AM »
Ah ha, the adjusting rod is part of the fulcrum in the Indian design. I've found my governor is lazy too. I'm going to do this fix.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

listeroidsusa

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 05:20:32 AM »
I've got a governor fix that takes ALL the slop and binding out of the factory linkage, I remove it and throw it away! I'll post some photos of my setup on coppermine tomorrow if it will cooperate. There is an easy and very effective solution for the sloppy sliding yoke design of the original Lister and its varients. It'll cost you around $10 or less to implement. George's fix is also effective and a good idea. Put both of ours together and I think you'll find the governor works even better. Photos to come tomorrow.

Mike