Author Topic: SPEED CONTROL  (Read 20259 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Re: SPEED CONTROL
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 02:10:56 AM »
I personally have not worked on an ashmawaugh (spelling?) but if you are not getting the results then I'd think the most likely scenario is the lack of governor weight or that models geometry. I've been studying up on steam engine governors lately. They were developed to a high state before their eventual demise. I'm considering building an external flyball governor based on the steam engine principles to see just how far I can take it. I'll drive it off of the end of the camshaft and rework the governor linkage to suit it. I won't have time to fool with it until school is out next month.

Mike Montieth
Lets see.... you are working on the EPA thing, you are or where working on a ring for using electric start and now you are working on this at the same time teaching at school

One Question

Have you cloned yourself??  Because to do all that I would have to perfect the 38 hour day!!!

Good on ya

Cheers

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 02:41:21 AM »
You would be suprised what you can do if you budget time....
When I'm on afternoon shift I'm an electrician, but I've rebuilt a lawn tractor, made blades for a wind mill and now I'm making a Pioneer class gassifier. My home is a shambles and yard is a mess, but then I have a little one to amuse on my own time lol.

Doug

Copybell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 07:12:26 AM »
Tom,
   I have an idea that my linkage and Mike's linkage are not the same.  I suspect my linkage and your linkage is the same, because I get the same results as you when I adjust the adjustable clevice rod.  In my mind, I am unable to see how adjusting this rod could change the sensitivity of the governor, however I can see how lengthening the arm of the lower belcrank and re-attaching the adjustable clevis rod would make the governor more sensitive.  Like you, I think Mike knows what he is talking about - probably words are failing us!

Copybell
Omega brand 6/1
Fuking brand 6/1
Satyajeet brand 20/1
Mini Petter

listeroidsusa

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 01:25:39 PM »
In the past I also made kits for the governors that also lengthened the lower governor arm. It worked, but at that time I really didn't understand the mechanics and the physics involved with designing a governor system. After delving into the subject more deeply and researching the reasoning "why" these things work I now understand the underlying principles of their operation. It gets pretty deep into theory, as well as mechanics and math. In regards to governor regulation I canned the original linkage on the injection pump and redesigned it so that it no longer relies on the pinned yoke and clevis sliding in and out of a hole in the upper link. I eliminated all slop in the linkage and my design is rock solid. it gives total freedom of movement with no play. I will be retrofitting all of my engines with this design if I can get any more.

On the EPA front, I am making good progress with my testing. I now have a 10/1 that is easily compliant with Tier 1, and am close to meeting Tier 2 ratings. If I do get more engines the parts will be sealed with a stamp and any sign of tampering will void the settings, and MY liability. These engines will have considerable modifications, many of which are internal and not readily apparent to the naked eye. I have been in contact with one of my suppliers and he is coming to the US to review my findings and applications next month when my teaching job is over for this semester. In the past I have imported both IDI and DI engines from several manufacturers and will be dealing primarily with only those who have the capacity to implement the modifications. Some companies in India only assemble parts into engines, while others build theirs totally in house and have the capacity to change whatever is needed.

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 03:29:32 PM »
Mike, have you (or anyone) tried using a generic governer, like a pierce, instead of building a whole new one?
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

Copybell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 04:18:43 PM »
Mike,
   Would you be kind enough to snap a picture of your fuel linkage setup?  I would like to try and copy it.

Copybell
Omega brand 6/1
Fuking brand 6/1
Satyajeet brand 20/1
Mini Petter

listeroidsusa

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »
That is precisely why I won't divulge details or photos. In the past when I did my designs were instantly copied, and it did me no good whatsoever. I've been doing the work and other people and dealers copy it. I never even so much as got the credit for coming up with the designs, much less any financial reward. My new innovations will either be patented and/or copyrighted. A few examples are my previous governor kits, serpentine pulleys, thermostat installations, ect. I've got a lot of changes and devices that I'm developing, and will not announce or sell them until they are secure.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 09:57:12 PM »
then i guess the correct question should be, when will it be for sale?
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Copybell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 12:33:50 AM »
Mike,
   Sorry, I guess I didn't think about all of the work you would have put into your linkage setup.  I tend to look at these Listeroids as a fun hobby not as a business.  It never entered my mind that there would be enough demand for these things to make it economically viable to apply for patents, etc. and make a go of it as a business.

Best regards,
Copybell
Omega brand 6/1
Fuking brand 6/1
Satyajeet brand 20/1
Mini Petter

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 02:19:42 AM »
Well one way to think of it is that if you give all this nice stuff to people who already have engines is that you will be the first one they recommend when a friend is in the market. I say this as someone who has a patent. There also will be a number of people who like what they see and don't have the abilities to build one so they will buy one from you.

Any way thanks for sharing.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

listeroidsusa

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 04:14:47 AM »
I didn't mean to sound like a smart alec, but what I'm doing is developing a new model of the Lister type engine that I can have certified so I can market it for a few years, at least. I can't be giving away all of my information before I get the project finished. It will be basically a "high tech" lister that still looks like an old one, except for the controls. In the past I would spend time and $$$$$ to get the models I was dealing with up to snuff, and then someone would jump in and try to take the model line over. Its happened twice already and I'm tired of doing the preliminary work while others jump on for a free ride after the hard work and expense is done. There are over 200 manufacturers in India building these engines so why jump in on the one or two lines I'm working with the manufacturers on? Why can't they just develop their own engine lines like George B. did? George did his own homework on his engines, and I am doing mine. In due time a superior engine will be produced by this process.

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2006, 03:38:12 PM »
All the power to ya Mike.

Keep us posted on progress.

Finest regards,

troy

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2006, 05:19:33 PM »
Hello Mike,

I was in reference to the request for the governor linkage picture, not the new engine design.

As far as the Indian manufacturers, how can you keep them from ripping each other off? I've had business dealings with these folks in the past and that kind of behavior seems part of the culture. Good luck on the EPA design, I am curious to see if your changes will result in a more efficient engine.  Do you have an ETA for product for sale? And the really really big question, will you be able to sell them in CA?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »
Not quite on topic but sorta I installed my govenor up grade from John Ferguson. I fired up the roid warmed it up and put a load of 1500 watts. went from 61 cycles to 58 and held there. Installed up grade. Set cycles 61, placed 1500 watt load went to 58 cycles and climed to 59.5 and held. Dont forget I have a 3600 rpm head [ to start a new argument again, jump in here mad bomber.]
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 01:26:23 AM »
Have you considered a cruise control unit off an automobile it has a linear actuator a computer to operate it and picks up its signals from the speedo or rev counter electronic pulses a magnet or 2 could be glued onto the alternator pulley and a hall effect switch used to provide pulses for the triggerwire to the computer these units are very tough they are made to live in an engine compartment