Puppeteer

Author Topic: SHE LIVES!!!  (Read 8070 times)

AdeV73

SHE LIVES!!!
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »
"Wanderin' Wendy" (;D) rewarded me with her first proper smokin' and bangin' today, not to mention walkin' about the place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMCTEalEmOc

Sorry the vid is so dark & short, my elderly Olympus isn't a true video camera, so it's "movie mode" is sorely lacking in adjustability. But hey, you know what's going on, the only new thing is my baldy head going up & down as I pump the starting handle!

It's not really "first smoke"; that's about the 4th time I got her going. However, sometimes, she just huffs blue/white smoke at me...

The "clanging" noises are the base bouncing a bit on the thick metal plate floor she's sat on. I think I'll weld some studs onto that plate, then I can bolt her down & stop her wanderin' ways  :)

Excellent, now I can fly back to Spain to enjoy some sunshine in the happy knowledge that SHE'S ALIVE! (Muahahahaha etc.)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: SHE LIVES!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »
Cool !!  Well done , bet your feelin chuffed !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

AdeV73

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:15:30 PM »
Cool !!  Well done , bet your feelin chuffed !!

I certainly am :) And just a bit exhausted too... hard twizzling her round for ages on end trying to bleed the fuel system. Interestingly, I don't get what I would call a "creak" out of the injector, more of a short "pfftz" noise. You can't hear it on the video over the noise of the image stabiliser.

In the end, I had to provide a gravity fuel feed, as the outet is on top of the filter housing (so filling up the filter bowl was never going to work!); due to time constraints, I used an old brake fluid resevoir which fitted quite nicely into the end of the fuel pipe which came with the Listers :

Anyway, she's going to need a good service before I use her in earnest. The oil is pretty awful - I dread to think how many years old it is. And having popped the top off the diesel filter for a looksee, there's lots of gunge in there too. Not to mention the fact I need to replace the washers, really, as there's a small leak from the banjo now (you can see the top of the filter glistening in the pic above.

I've a million questions already..... e.g.

• If I buy a set of Whitworth spanners (and I need to, as almost none of the ones I've got fit), will a set of 8 ala eBay do? Or should I be looking for 12, or more even?
  • What's the knurled knob on the side of the rocker pivot arm?

More later.... ;D

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »
Tool wise , I'd look for a set of quality ring , open end and a socket set from the good British makers like Britool , Gordon etc. They come up regularly and are worth seeking out. The more recent stuff is mostly made in the East from heat treated rice it would seem as they mark up and wear so quickly !!
The knurled knob is the greaser for the rocker gear !!  Just remove the cap by turned anti-clockwise , fill with grease , replace cap and turn until grease exudes form the rocker pivots !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
Top info, thanks ;D

Must go to bed now..... up at 4am for this damn plane  ::)

compig

• View Profile
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:56:31 AM »
Thanks, I am watching it now :) I'm guessing that covers pretty much all the sizes I'll need?

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »
hard twizzling her round for ages on end trying to bleed the fuel system

AdeV,

There is an easier way.  Just turn the crank back and forth around the injection point - no need to turn it 2 revolutions for one injection event!  Forwards, creak, backwards, creak, etc.  Rotary motion is transposed into reciprocating motion at the pump lift - just like the valve gear.

Regards, RAB

AdeV73

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:47:10 PM »

There is an easier way.  Just turn the crank back and forth around the injection point - no need to turn it 2 revolutions for one injection event!  Forwards, creak, backwards, creak, etc.  Rotary motion is transposed into reciprocating motion at the pump lift - just like the valve gear.

I had wondered about that - but it was such hard work starting the flywheel, then stopping it, then running it back, then stopping it, then forwards, etc.... it seemed easier just to get a really good head of speed up, then whizz the handle off & watch it spin down again, whilst puffing & blowing & drinking tea...

I think the main problem with my attempts to bleed the system was, I didn't actually do it properly the first time... having been a bit more methodical, it worked a lot better.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:57:17 PM »

I had wondered about that - but it was such hard work starting the flywheel, then stopping it, then running it back, then stopping it, then forwards, etc.... it seemed easier just to get a really good head of speed up, then whizz the handle off & watch it spin down again, whilst puffing & blowing & drinking tea...

I am hoping you are kidding, but you didn't put lol at the end of your statement!
  Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

AdeV73

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »

I am hoping you are kidding, but you didn't put lol at the end of your statement!

Nope, I'm not kidding! Of course, it only seemed that way - I guess it was harder work in reality. I did have the decompressor up, so it's not like I was trying to crank her through compression. But, once I've restored the alternator, and put the whole SoM thing back together, I won't have to worry about it, I can let the alternator/motor take the strain instead of me  :)

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:01 AM »
Ady , what RAB meant was just repeatedly rock the flywheel backwards and forwards just enough to go over the injection point to avoid having to crank complete revolutions. Ignore me if you knew that !
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »
AdeV,

what RAB meant.....

Soreee :) :)

I thought that was what I wrote!!

'Forwards, creak, backwards, creak, etc.'  must have given a big clue?

720 degrees as opposed to about 30 degrees (OK a few more for luck)? No contest really!

Regards, RAB

AdeV73

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »
Yeah, that's what I figured - rock it back & forth over X degrees; mine seemed to need about 90 deg, though, to get 2 squirts out of the injector pipe. Probably down to my technique rather than anything else...

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:55 AM »
Those heavy som flywheels are probably quite a bit more difficult to start and stop, compared to the light weight ones most of us are used to.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.