Puppeteer

Author Topic: loud hum under start of load with St5  (Read 8029 times)

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
loud hum under start of load with St5
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
I just installed my St5 and am running the same loads I did with that 4kva indian head and I never heard a peep from the indian head, is this normal or a problem?
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

sailawayrb

• View Profile
Re: loud hum under start of load with St5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »
If you wired it for 240, you are likely seeing load unbalance which is causing the hum.  Assuming you don't have bearing issue, if you wired it for 120, you are always balanced and you shouldn't hear anything unusual.

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
yes wired for 240v, it only last for a quick second and then sounds fine.
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:38:28 PM »
What's it starting when it makes the hum?
As mentioned, much current imbalance between legs can make it hum, and perhaps under really heavy load (something with a high starting current?) it may hum also.

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
Washing machine or maybe dishwasher, on another note I tried wiring it for 120v today figuring most loads are 120v anyway and have 115-120v volts measured at u1 and u2 but am only getting half power into the house( 60 volts) can anyone send me in the right direction? I think wiring that way would be best, it's wired to a 10 circuit transfer switch next to the main.
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
if you are getting 120 v at the gen head then it sounds like you are still wired in the transfer panel for 240 v. check the two hot leads in the panel, it will most likely be 120 v. if you wire for 120v you can only take power from half the panel.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
Washing machine or maybe dishwasher, on another note I tried wiring it for 120v today figuring most loads are 120v anyway and have 115-120v volts measured at u1 and u2 but am only getting half power into the house( 60 volts) can anyone send me in the right direction? I think wiring that way would be best, it's wired to a 10 circuit transfer switch next to the main.

Something's not right?  My ST5 is wired for 120 and I just feed this 120 to BOTH sides of transfer switch and hence to ALL my 120 circuits being feed from the transfer switch.  If you are using a flex cable between your generator and your transfer switch, you just wire your generator outlet box so to essentially feed the generator 120 to BOTH the Red and Black wires of flex cable.  The White and Green wires are Neutral and Ground respectively.  Of course, this approach can only be used if ALL the CBs in your transfer switch are for single pole 120 circuits and you do NOT have any double pole 240 circuits!  I hope this make some sense?  Make sure you also have appropriate CB at generator outlet box to protect both cable and generator.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:37:23 PM by sailawayrb »

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
I am wired with a flexible cable to a 500 volt( it was free) throw switch( two hots,ground and nuetral) and from there into a generator 4 prong cord with twist lock, I really hope I can figure out as I know things will like the higher amperage and I don't really need to run any 240v circuits unless I loose power for an extended time, here is the swicth I have http://www.nbmc.com/emergen/10-7501.html how would you wire it for 120v and make full use of it?
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
If you have 120 volts leaving the generator, then you will need to connect both of the hots in your switch together so that the one hot from the generator feeds the power to the two hot legs in the panel. if you are only getting 60 volts leaving the generator then you have another problem in your system & that should be addressed first.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »
Greasy_burger, looks like a very nice transfer switch that should serve you very well.  However, I assume you do NOT have the double pole CB setup like shown in the photo.  Like Lowspeedlife suggested, I would first make sure you wired the generator properly and you are truely getting 120 from generator.  Then it is just a matter feeding this generator 120 to BOTH legs of your transfer switch.

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:29 AM »
I do have the one with the double pole but will make sure I either untie the two and use them on single pole circuits or leave the alone( unused) so if I understand I will switch the straps in the genhead for 120v and wire both hot leads together in the transfer switch, where then will the nuetral go that is now on u5 and u6 in the current configuration since u5 will now be strapped to one hot and u6 to the other? I really appreciate all the help guys and thanks for going slowly with me:)
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
I do have the one with the double pole but will make sure I either untie the two and use them on single pole circuits or leave the alone( unused) so if I understand I will switch the straps in the genhead for 120v and wire both hot leads together in the transfer switch, where then will the nuetral go that is now on u5 and u6 in the current configuration since u5 will now be strapped to one hot and u6 to the other? I really appreciate all the help guys and thanks for going slowly with me:)

Actually, you can use either one of the generator hot 120 wires for your Neutral.  Just pick one, mark this generator wire with white tape, and connect it to the white wire in your flex cable.  You will find good ST installation info and similar recommendations here:

http://utterpower.com/installa.htm

Please be careful and safe.

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
So if I connect the x and y plug connectors in the panel that should be all I need to do to wire the panel for 120v? versus the existing 1 hot to x and one to y , since power will only be coming in on oneside and not both now?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:35:15 PM by greasy_burger »
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 03:57:20 AM »
If it were me, I would NOT bond the transfer switch legs together because you may forget and than someday wire for 240.  If it were me, I would bond the generator produced 120 to BOTH the red and black wires in the flex cable and than feed this generator produced 120 via this flex cable to BOTH legs of the transfer switch (i.e., black wire to one leg and red wire to other leg).  I would also have CB between the generator 120 and the bonded red/black wires.  Make sure the CB is of proper rating to protect the wire gauge you are using with the assumption that ALL the current will be carried by only one wire (i.e., red or black).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:22:02 PM by sailawayrb »

greasy_burger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
Well I finally wired half the switch for 120v and it powers everything very well,no more noises and solid volyage throughout, if I need to power anything 240v I can always just wire it back as before, thanks for the help guys.

Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha