Author Topic: EPA rules on importing a listeroid  (Read 10361 times)

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
EPA rules on importing a listeroid
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »
Got out of work yesterday and converted some avgas into noise for the first time in a while 8).  I was cleared to land #2 behind my hangar neighbor who just got back last year from living in India.  When we shut down I went over and started talking to him about listers and the possibility of importing some.  A few months ago we discussed the posibility of getting some shipped but we were under the impression you could only import parts but not whole engines.  After doing some reading I found this was not the case and assembled engines can still be imported.  Now the question is how does one do this legally?  I would appreciate any information that anyone has to share.  I am not wanting to start a business importing and sellling engines, but since I live in a port city it may be cost effective to get a few shipped direct from India. 

Mike H.

centralmainediesel

• View Profile
Re: EPA rules on importing a listeroid
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
Hi Mike.....We frequently get asked about the EPA rules and how we can still import engines into the Country. I don't know where this myth got started (we ought to have Jaime and Adam at Mythbusters look into this!). We think it came from someone who was sitting on some engines and needed some quick cash and wanted to unload them real fast (that's one explanation we have heard). Truth be told, we have imported over 160 engines in the last year (all from Anand). They are shipped in and designated "for stationary use only" and marked "bio-diesel". We have had no problems, no issues and will be placing another order in a couple of months. We researched the ordering before we placed an order as we were burnt awhile back by trying to bring in a shipment of Chinese diesel generators that didn't pass the muster. They were confiscated and...as they say "Once burned,twice shy". We have all the confidence in the world (as it now exists) that we will continue to be able to import these engines and are working with Anand to insure that whatever needs to be done to keep these "allowable" can be done or considered. You shouldn't have problems bringing in your own, but be aware of all the costs. We have to pay for fumigation, x-rays, brokerage fees, container costs, shipping costs, freigh costs from New York Harbor, etc. It adds up pretty quickly!...Hope this helps....Thanks, Phil

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
Phil, thanks for the info and clearing that up.  I will have to do my research to find out what the total end cost will be.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
Piperpilot3tk

It is my opinion but I think you will be better served if you just buy one from CMD , or that is how I see it.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »
Jens, you are right.  Nothing will ever be cheaper than it is now, (well almost nothing) and there is no time like the present!  However funds are a little bit of an issue at the current moment, as I am sure it is with most everyone...but I may have to take the plunge.  I have a few co-workers and friends who may want to get in on an order, but you know how that kind of thing goes.  You ain't in untill you show me the money.  I would not even consider importing an engine except for the fact that I live in a port city.  I will continue to do some research and determing the feasibility of getting one or more shipped in.  If I decide not to import one I will most likely buy one from CMD as I have been impressed with my correspondance with them and thier apparent commitment to thier customers. Does anyone know of someone else importing the Anand/Powerline engines?
Mike

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:46:10 AM »
Good point about the spares not really costing anything extra for shipping.  I wonder how many extra engines you could ship before the freight cost would increase. As far as Savannah's port is concearned it is the fourth-largest container port in the United States and the largest single-terminal operation in North America. I know there will be costs involved with actually getting your stuff from the ship to the loading dock.  The trick will be to try to get a reasonably close estimate!

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Jens, did you have to fill out any paperwork with the EPA or customs for importing the engine?  The container and loading dock fees would be doable.  I contacted Anand and Atul kinda blew me off and told me to buy from CMD because they are a US dealer for Anand.  This kind of response from Anand is dissappointing!  >:(

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 01:45:07 AM »
This kind of response from Anand is dissappointing............................................... >:( >:( >:( >:(

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 01:51:05 AM »
Nothing will ever be cheaper than it is now, (well almost nothing)

Except maybe gold, heard it reached $1000.00 an ounce today.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:24:07 AM »
Atul at Anand shot me another email yesterday with a attached price list for shipping some engines.  By looking at the prices he quoting me, he is not interested in selling anything to me.  My hangar neighbor lived in India for over a year and still has a business there.  He made some calls to some friends in country and got some prices.  I was not expecting Anand to compete with these prices, but I know how much they really cost and I know how much shipping would be. By the way I did find the EPA declaration form for importing engines. The form is, EPA form 3520-21 Rev 12-08.  This form has references to the applicable regulations contained in 40 CFR for the applicable catagory engine you are declaring.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
Atul at Anand shot me another email yesterday with a attached price list for shipping some engines.  By looking at the prices he quoting me, he is not interested in selling anything to me.  My hangar neighbor lived in India for over a year and still has a business there.  He made some calls to some friends in country and got some prices.  I was not expecting Anand to compete with these prices, but I know how much they really cost and I know how much shipping would be. By the way I did find the EPA declaration form for importing engines. The form is, EPA form 3520-21 Rev 12-08.  This form has references to the applicable regulations contained in 40 CFR for the applicable catagory engine you are declaring.

So Mike tell us how much they cost .....and how much to ship please....... inquiring minds want to know??????? ;D ;D

sarawnw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
please  :-*

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »
Lets just say there are Indian prices and there are foreigner prices. This is the case in all countries that barter in the market place.  For example, when I was in Beijing last summer we bartered untill we pissed off the locals and were satisfied that we had gotten a fairly good deal on some stuff....untill we made friends with some locals and took them shopping.  It was an eye opening experiance!  The problem with the price quotes I have recieved is that there is no discount for multiple engines, I know first hand that the more you buy the cheaper you get them for. Also the cost of shipping one is about the same a shipping five to six units. Add in the white boy price factor and I was not happy with the quote I recieved. 

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 02:23:45 AM »
Hi Piper, If you do decide to import a/some engines, I wuold be interested in purchasing some spares (a lot of spares) practically everything except a crankcase. I have a 20/2 & would like to have enough stuff on hand to keep her running for the next 20+ years. If you decied to import send me a PM & i'll send you a list & some cash.
thanks, Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 11:52:42 PM »
We are still waiting to hear from our guy in India....... he is in-work on trying to make a deal.  If the prices are good enough we will be getting several engines and alot of spares.  If the prices are not much better than my quote from Anand, then I am not sure if my friends and coworkers will still be in.  I could still save about $300.00 by importing just one (this is after shipping and container fees) but it would be a long wait and a hassle.  If everyone else backs out I may just buy one from CMD.  If we do get a shipment from India I would be glad to throw some spares in the container.