Puppeteer

Author Topic: Repairing frost damaged cyclinder and suchlike ( cast iron welding with MIG)  (Read 14651 times)

Joe

• View Profile
Epoxy and duct tape is America's contribution to the world's mechanical health.

Duct tape is a Life Force…it has a light side…and a dark side…it holds the universe together…

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Here's the pictures.

Apologies they are not too good, like I said before, fuji a202 digital camera, doesn't do glossy black or shiny stuff very well.

First pic is after welding and grinding, looking at the pic it looks like filler in there, but it was all bare metal

Second pic is after the rough coat of P90, will sand back to contour tomorrow and prime

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

solarguy

• View Profile
Dear Guy,

Lovely repair.  May you have many happy leak-free decades of use from your "new" Lister.  I have to think the old girl's happier in your hands than in the previous life.

Dear Hotater,

Remind me not to break into your house.  Any guy with a functional cannon goes on the DO NOT burglarize list.  I would be interested to know something about the launching device...

Finest regards,

troy

hotater

• View Profile
Troy---

The cannon was made for my old hunting and business partner that died in 2000.....to shoot his ashes.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hotater

Look at  the "Brian's cannon" pages.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

If I remeber right cast can be flame welded if you preheat the casting....
And it can be brased if preheated to a lesser extent too...

Can this work with engine castings???

Doug

hotater

• View Profile
Doug---

It has worked for many years but it's an involved process.  Any cracks will propogate with heat unless stop holes are drilled.  Most of the time 'T-Bones' are put in.  They're acually iron keys that hold one side to the other, then the whole part is pre-heated in a furnace, THEN the torch and the brazing rod.  It works great, but 99% of all brazing repairs seen are done on cold metal and that's a receipe for failure.  Done right you see brass 'soak' into the iron and turn it a shiny red and you can see rivilets of molton brass running ahead of the flame and 'wetting' the iron as it goes.
   When you see little brass dingle berries on a brazed piece you know they were put there plumb cold.

The problem with repairing most iron castings compensating for stress.   Just for an example, take a cast iron box with no top.  Five sides cast iron.  If a corner is broken off and repaired while any part of the box is cold, the temperature differential will usually cause it to stress crack somewhere else, unless the whole box is nearly red hot with pre-heat.  It's seldom the 'big' portion of a casting breaks. It's usually a corner or mounting ear or tab.   VERY difficult to do well unless the cross section is thin enough to get plenty of heat in.

When Geneva Steel was running I watched the millwrights braze a tremendous planer mill back together.  The cross section was more than a foot thick between the webs.   They'd preheated two portions of it in a rolling mill pre-heat pit to 1200 F and wrapped them in insulated blankets.  Air arcs were used to gouge the broken ends to a double Vee.  They drilled and tapped a grid of holes in all surfaces and then set bolts in the holes as a prickly sort of re-inforcements, then started laying in the brass with monster rosebud torches and 1/4" rod and flux by the handfulls.  It took days of working 24/7 with guys swapping off to cool down, but they got it back together and trammed to specs.
  OH-- the planer mill had been cut in half for scrap THEN they found more work for it..
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

Cool story, sure sounds expensive.

Doug