Author Topic: Wiring 120V in Canada  (Read 16151 times)

Eugen

• 12V electric start on a CS 6/1 using chevy starter
    • View Profile
Wiring 120V in Canada
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
Edited due to the non related and off subject responses.
Thanks to those that responded and stayed on subject matter to answer my question.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:17:51 PM by Eugen »

Stan

Re: Wiring 120V in Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »
Spend a couple of hundred bucks and hire a licensed electrician with experience in hooking up these kind of things and get a permit!  All you need is one little electrical fire and your insurance company is NOT going to give you a cent to repair/replace your shed/generator/house if you don't have the above.   :-[   Right Doug?
Stan

btw....remind me to tell you one day about the Scottish sergeant major and the condom

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:58:57 PM »
btw....remind me to tell you one day about the Scottish sergeant major and the condom

Groan....
Here Stan, I'll save you the trouble.    :)
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=3186.0   Post #7
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:54:50 PM »
Tnx...I forgot where I posted it.......but I digress  ;D

I just had a conversation with my local building inspector (I'm putting on a new roof)  and he told me that every time a home owner files for an insurance claim, the insurance company sends him a stock form asking for a record of all the permits granted to that homeowner in the city/municipal records.  He forwards the information to the insurance company and if they find alterations to the home that should have had a permit, but didn't, they disallow the claim.  The work doesn't have to be related to the claim, such as a tree branch falling on the roof, if there's an electrical change that should have had a permit, they will disallow the claim for work on the roof.

I protested that wasn't fair and he just laughed. They have a word in the military for multiple bad things happening all at once, they call it a clusterf**k I believe (Charlie Foxtrot when you are talking to your mother in law).  So when your house burns down (or worse, is just badly damaged) you don't want to add to your problems by having a sharp eyed investigator ask you if that's a non-permitted generator hook up.
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
Heeeeeeyyyyyyy Stan,

I give this advice day before yesterday and I'm a wuss.  You give it today and you're a rational well balance guru?

And yes, of course, I agree with your advice.  The moment you enter a habitated building with high voltage there is absolutely no excuse for not having a permit.  

Did you know if the electrician rides a Harley it won't cost $200.

Cheers,

P.S.  Some insurance companies use the right - left business model.

The right hand is to sell the policy and collect the money.

The left hand is to find a reason to default on the claim.

Have you heard of Lloyds of London?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
You are only allowed to bond the neutral and ground together at the main Service disconnect....jumpers should be removed in all subpanel's...
What style/make of generator transfer switch do you have in the house....?
Cheers
Tug

Eugen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »
Thanks for the response Stan. 

The province I live in allows the owner of the house to do his own electrical installation and yes it will be inspected.

When my house burns down there won’t be any Insurance adjuster coming here because I don’t have house insurance. I heat solely with wood from my hundred acres. It seems Insurance Companies do not like wood stoves and have been refused numerous time on account of I use it full time and use no other backup heat.

Am I worried about safety sure but at some time or another you have to start up the listeroid and that in itself is very unsafe with those big flywheels. Plus some people move these heavy machines in unsave manners an as such should only be done the professionals.

Eugen

Eugen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
Thanks tugger

The Transfer-Panel is a manually operated Federal Pioneer also reffered to as Stab -Loc. as well my service panel is a Federal Pioneer which made for easy change over.

OK on the bonding it as I thought but always nice to know for sure.

Eugen

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Hey Tugger,

I thought your advice was current and correct.  Of course in different parts of the country(s) the rules are different but in Washington state you would have the same code concerning neutrals (commons) and grounds.  It's one of those codes I don't understand but don't have any trouble obeying.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »
Casey...Dont' worry, I've been called worse.  Jens...I'm going from a flat roofed house to a pitched roof, needs a permit.  If I was just replacing, (sorry, I keep thinking about that old joke) It would be different..
Had a new electrical panel put in last summer, definitely needed a permit and an inspection.  I did most of the work myself, and called an electrician to do the "final hook up" thus saving tons of money.   And you're right Jens, lots of older houses are "illegal" (sick bird) and that's why lots of folks have trouble with their insurance companies, (like my next door neighbour who is still in a court battle over his) something that is only going to get worse in light of the current economic woes.
Stan

Eugen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
Jens thanks for the response,

I know electrical work is not Rocket Science, I wired my own house, without a complaint from the inspector.
I'm dumb when it comes to the Generators and the 120V hookup and where the neutral comes from. When I asked, is the second 120V line the neutral I was assuming not suggesting.

Eugen

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:11:09 PM »
Eugen

you will need a field inspection of the ST head ( unless this was done by the guy who sold it too you )
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Eugen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:56 PM »
Jens,

Thank you for the explanation but I don't wish to wire it for 240ac

I am trying to avoid the balance issue by wiring the ST-5 for 110Vac only I have no use for 220Vac The ST-5  has U1 & U6 bridged together as well as U2 & U5 so it will only produce 110Vac not 240Vac. Hope that makes sense.

Eugen

Eugen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:57:06 PM »
Doug

ST-5 I have does not have a CSA approval sticker if that is what you mean. I have no idea if it has been done as the question has never come up. I will persue this with the vendor.

Eugen

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 02:33:28 AM »
The Transfer-Panel is a manually operated Federal Pioneer also reffered to as Stab -Loc. as well my service panel is a Federal Pioneer which made for easy change over

This is where giving advise online gets tricky especially with the bonding issue....
That particular Transfer-Panel i believe is made for portable generators which came with there neutral and ground already bonded....
Only manual tranfer switch ive used that switches the neutral between power sources...
Run the line from the st head to a single pole breaker panel and bond the neutral and ground there...then to your subpanels, which have no bonding...
Show your inspector everything, have all panel covers off....
Cheers
Tug