Author Topic: Things I Have Discovered,Or Observed  (Read 2538 times)

Dail R H

• View Profile
Things I Have Discovered,Or Observed
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:04:07 PM »
   When we finally got some weather that wasn't too miserable to be outside,I got a chance to take a good look at my Metro. I knew my engine had been uncrated at Sam's,but thet did an outstanding job of recrating it for shipping to me.The original crate bottom was screwed and banded to a regular pallet/ That had a sturdy wood frame built around the engine,with the genhead on another pallet on top. The whole affair was well wraped in black plastic shrinkwrap type stuff. It arrived completely dry ,and in perfect condition, despite it's long stay at the hardware store,and it's harrowing trip up the mountain.
   With all the wrapping out of the way,I eagerly tore into my new set of Indian wrenches,and set about exploreing. The first place to look was inside the crankcase,so off came the door. Hmmm looks ok in there,'course I don't see so well,so in goes my hand. The very first thing my fingers touch is a chunk of something that obviously shouldn't be in there. Alittle further exploring turns up plenty of indian real estate,especialy in the oil drain area / oil pump intake. No great surprise,was just hopeing I'de doge the bullet.
   Looked all around the engine several times before Ifound the dipstick,,,,,,,,,,logical place,just didn't see it. Not sure it's properly located,seems to be fouling with the oil line. One or the other is bound to cause a problem,either the dipstick will fatigue and break off ,or it will chafe a hole in the oil line.
   Took the valve covers off,one sticks a bit,hole or bolt one or the other is off a bit,a file will fix that . everything looks ok ,oh snap ,wait what th??? are the valve rockers supposed to be in line with the crankshaft,or angled a little? Mine seem to be at a slight angle,and not striking the lash cap dead center,maybe some wiggle room in there,guess I'll find out when I pull the heads.
   This engine has twonice water manifolds,and a water pump,not sure now if I'll use the pump or not,but it's there. Nice intake manifold ,usual pepper pot mufflers,some odd bits for the cooling system.
   Not surprised,or really disapointed with what I got,it's about what I expected.Hopefully nothing too difficult to sort out,most has probably been done before. The thing that did sorta surprise me was how big ,and beefy this thing is. Don't remember if I ever saw a twin in person or not,but I remember seeing a single at the show in Kitzner a coupla years ago. Don't remember it being this honkin big. Everything on it is big/heavy
   Be traveling the rest of this week,and be in N Carolina next week with Mamafor valentines ;D ;Dmore when I get back.

Dail R H

• View Profile
Re: Things I Have Discovered,Or Observed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:17:32 AM »
   I'm a bit confused still. My heads seem to have 7 bolts,thought I read that the Indian listers had 4. Also,I seem to have "right and left" heads,again,thought the Indians were the same.Any answers?