Author Topic: 6/1 Electric start  (Read 8594 times)

rf

• View Profile
6/1 Electric start
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
Hello All, Just wanted to share that I test started my 6/1 with an old Ford starter and a small block Chevrolet flex-plate mounted on the generator shaft and was happy to find that it had enough torque to push through the compression stroke and start the engine.
 Seems a simple enough install only had to machine a Browning style Q1-1.7/16" bushing to match the I.D. of the flex plate and mount it backwards on my existing bushing that holds my heavy flywheel on the generator.

Regards
RF

adhall

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 Electric start
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »
rf:

Nice work! I have been wondering how well this arrangement would work. I'm pleased to learn it was successful.

I am curious about this is how much power is lost spinning the flex plate at the higher RPM (as opposed to mounting it on the engine). Do you suppose you could do a comparison of fuel consumption with and without the flex plate in place?

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:24 AM »
I would guess that the flex plate robs no power... only a couple of pounds, the steel disk that the flex plate is mounted to weighs over 100 lbs. and virtually removes the light flicker as I imagine was the intent for the Start-O-Matics. I noticed no difference in economy when that was added.
 Power from the starter is adequate since there is only one compression stroke at a time regarding two cylinder applications, I would say belt traction is more important, The belt is a single 5V-1250 running on the surface (no groove) of the engine flywheel.
 This is just the test fit, welding, bolting and guarding to follow for permanent install.

Regards
RF

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:08:29 PM »
Hi RF, that looks great!  Can you tell me about how fast this setup turns your motor over; is it plenty fast enough where it should start on a cold morning?  I'd guess my Chevy 350 PU motor cranks over at 300 to 400 RPM or so but I've never tried to measure it. Spark ignition engines aren't sensitive to cranking speed like diesels are.  I was thinking about trying your type of setup but I was going to use a starter and flywheel from a Nissan 4 cylinder engine  :P .  The starter to ring gear ratio I've got looks to be about 15 to 1 and the generator pulley to flywheel is about 3 to 1 and I was concerned that maybe the belt will slip or maybe the ratio might be too high and the engine might not get turned over fast enough to start  ??? ?  Your test sucess gives me a lot of encouragement to continue with my project  ;), thanks!                     Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 02:57:39 AM »
Thanks Leland, The ring gear RPM fluctuates between 380 to 415 RPM mark using a crappy photo electric tachometer, the reading I got at the engine flywheel was 132 RPM. I've uploaded a small 15 meg movie file showing the engine cranking through the compression strokes with the fuel shut of and then starting.  http://rapidshare.com/files/197837744/Lister_Electric_Start.MOV.html ( 10 free downloads, don't have a utube account :) )

Hope this helps.

Regards
RF

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »
Very nicely put together and I'm glad of your comment on using flywheel on the generator end that helped to cut down flicker and that matters me to very much.  How much of any flicker at all?

Cheers, Wizard

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 06:01:40 AM »
Hello Wizard,

I would say it is eliminated, to the point I have to look for it but I'm not sure if its real or just my misperception.
 Also when a heavy load is applied it gives the governor more time to respond smoothly... I jokingly refer to it as my rotary capacitor.

Regards
RF

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:46:03 AM »
Have you weighed or have measurement or diagrams of this generator's flywheel?

Cheers, Wizard

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:58:15 AM »
Hello Wizard,

The flywheel weight is a piece of two inch plate that I rough cut with a torch and my brother cleaned it up to 16" diameter and bored it to fit the Browning style Q1-1.7/16" taper-lock bushing that we had... new ones sell for about $14.00 to $20.00.
 After it came off the lathe it weighed about 110 lbs.

For those that are interested I finally managed to upload a video to utube of the starter pushing the engine though compression and then starting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_PSfJwLpc0

Regards
RF
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:01:22 AM by rf »

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »
Thanks for the video and other info RF!  Every little bit of info is helpful to someone  :) !              Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

WestCoastPat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »
Great starter mod.

I would say if you guys want a slam dunk with plenty of power for the Lister, use a 2 to 1 GM starter standard for a Chevy 6.5l Diesel engine. Probably started offering those starters on GM trucks in 1988-90 on up.

I have 2 trucks with the GM diesels and love em'.  My 84 4x4 with the 6.2 had the stock GM starter that was under powered IMO, and I upgraded it with the newer 2to1.  It bolts right up, and is a world of better performace.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:54 PM »
Looks great RF, really love the 110 lb. flywheel. The only thing I might have done differently  is to mount the flex plate & starter on the other side of the generator flywheel, keeping the whole package more compact, but I imagine that would have meant turning the gen head around to make the rotation correct, likley not worth the effort. looks/works great.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »
Oops forgot to ask, is that a compressor mounted between the engine & gen head (the blue thing) & is it for air or refrigeration ?

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 01:58:29 AM »
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the comp.
 It's an air compressor mounted in between, operated by an unloading valve to allow the compressor to freewheel when up to pressure... the drive belt is left off unless I'm going to run it.
 As far as the generator location, it needs to be that way because of the cupped fan on the rotor otherwise I would have had to mount it under the radiator and in-front of the crank access door.

Regards
RF