Author Topic: What sized breaker to use on my 6/1 - ST5 combo  (Read 15929 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: What sized breaker to use on my 6/1 - ST5 combo
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »
The reason I suggested the 30 A breaker to prevent brown outs is that it will blow before the engine bogs down. With a 40 amp the engine would probably be loosing RPM's before it blew.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 01:45:17 AM »
The reason I suggested the 30 A breaker to prevent brown outs is that it will blow before the engine bogs down. With a 40 amp the engine would probably be loosing RPM's before it blew.

I still wouldn't bet my expensive TV and entertainment center on a CB.  The CB might blow if you happen to be drawing close to the CB current rating when your engine started slowing down.  However, lets say the only thing you have on is your TV so you are maybe drawing only 5A @ 120V (600W) total at the time your engine started slowing down.  The voltage would have to drop to approximately 20V (600W/30A) before the current would exceed the CB 30A current rating.  Having never actually done this experiment, I don't know whether the TV would survive or not, but I don't think I would want to take the chance.

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 02:52:11 AM »
Thanks !!! The 831VS-240A sounds exactly like what I am after !

Jens, I was able to successfully post the Voltage Sensor/Disconnect photos:

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=351

I'll work on the schematic and post that in a couple days.

Bob B.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 03:00:06 AM »
I'm hurt and dismayed.  Ole Sour Dough Stan calls me a wimp and Doug has a code book but can't be bothered to give us The Truth.  But I've burned out on a couple of threads myself so I understand.  

The Answer to your question is:
[/size][/color]
When the 30 Amp pisses you off because it "pops" too often then put the 40 in.

Casey

Casey I don't know where my books are I have two but I don't read them much. Infact I don't read them at all anymore if I can avoid it. Spending all day pulling cable, splicing cable, changing parts, looking for the source of the leaking magic smoke, locking/unlocking/tagging/inspecting and comissioning will do that too you.

There are so many conflicting pieces of advice in this thread and so many good intentions I'm not realy sure I want to fully commit myself to this right now any how..

You know what a Coleman 157 table lamp has never caused an electrical fire.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken