Author Topic: Tool Question  (Read 5435 times)

apogee_man

• View Profile
Tool Question
« on: February 04, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
Am in the process of acquriing a "real" Lister.

From a tool standpoint, are the fasteners metric, standard, or what?

Do I have to order British standard tools or will normal US tools work fine without buggering up the fasteners?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Stan

Re: Tool Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »
Beg borrow or buy "real" bs tools

You can get away with a few IMO and metric sizes but not all

Do a search there's a thread on this topic

Stan

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »
Thanks Stan,

I did search and wasn't able to find a clear answer on this, so that is why I asked. 

Advice taken, I'll find a set of BS tools...

Thanks,

Steve

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
Fasteners are Whitworth. You will find that the spanner size seems to have no correlation to the nut size across the flats , this is because the Whitworth size relates to the thread diameter instead of the dimension across the flats as in AF and Metric , so a 1/2" Whit nut seems massive !!!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Oilengines

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »
As Compig says.

Also note that early spanners, pre-WWII will have 9/16" W or 9/16" Whit (for example) while WWII and onwards will also have the rationalised BSF and Whit sizes marked on, eg: 9/16" W 5/8" BS.

The UK government brought in the standardisation to save material and to give a standard fine thread, so you can get an idea of the age of a spanner by the markings.

If you want to REALLY get confused, I have a set of SNAIL brand spanners which have Whit/BSF size at one end and A/F Imperial size the other, this particular one I have in my hand is 9/16" BS (Always BS = BSF, W = Whitworth) and 3/4" AF the other end.

Pare

Stan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
Took my daughters Rondo in for it's oil change today here in Ottawa, had a snail mechanic working on it. Took 2 hours to do an oil change.
Stan

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:20:41 AM »
Thanks guys!

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
I don't know if you need to rush out and buy any new tools right away  ??? !  I have a lot of tools and what I have come down to over the years is in my main toolbox I carry six point Metric sockets and Metric combination wrenches; I find that due to the small incriments between sizes they will work fine on just about anything  ;) !  I used to carry six point box wrenches but gave that up as I got older and more lazy, I just break a tight bolt loose with a six point socket.  If you find a case where you just have to have a Whitworth size you could just buy that one tool.  I haven't found a bolt on my 'roid that a Metric size wasn't good enough for so have never tried the cheap wrenches that came with it.  However I do sort of fit the description of "a drunk cowboy with a Sears welder" from another thread  ;D !  I'd bet 2 beers that I could stop that leak, even if I did get my welder at Monkey Wards  :P !!  Just my 2 cents worth and YMMV.....                          Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
Check ebay for BSW tools.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
Stan,

Doubtful if the oil was drained these days.  Often extracted through the dip-stick hole!  Perhaps the filter is inaccessible?  Hope you were not charged 2 hours for labour :), or that would be an expensive oil change. >:(

Regards, RAB

Stan

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
Nope, came with the car...they also provide a wifi transceiver so I could surf using the itouch. :-[
Stan