Puppeteer

Author Topic: Easiest and safest way to wire outlets directly from St5 head  (Read 3892 times)

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
Easiest and safest way to wire outlets directly from St5 head
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
I am looking for a safe and esy way to wire a small 4 outlet box right at the St5 head, I am planning on powering some heating for the veggie and want to be able to switch it off right at the unit for shutdown. transfer switch and main are approx 75 ft away and I don't want to have to run back from there of at all possible.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:35:32 PM by greasy_burger »
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
Re: Easiest and safest way to wire outlets directly from St5 head
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:57:50 PM »
Well,  I'd get a fused disconnect or small breaker panel, and wire the outlets on the south side of that.  I'd mount the disconnect/outlet on a surface not subject to vibration, and run a piece of Teck/SJOOW/BX from a hole (with proper wire clamp for wire used) in the dog house of generator to the input of the disconnect switch.  Of course, I'd then have all of this properly inspected like the rest of my setup.  :)  There are many variations on how to do this, but anything without circuit protection (fuse/breaker), disconnect means (switch/breaker), proper wire type (not regular house wire or orange extension cord), or proper wiring methods (wire not chaffing on side of steel box) is a bad idea. 

If your setup is wired for 240V, I'd use a piece of 4 conductor 12AWG wire and put in two 20A, 120V T-Slot receptacles, each wired on thier own leg of 120V.  That'd give you 4800w of 120V power available, with not much more hardware than needed to wire one 15A 120V circuit. 

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »
use GFCI recepticals for safety, they are not expensive & may save your butt!

scott r.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

trigzy

• View Profile
    • High Tech Hicks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:28 AM »
proper wire type (not regular house wire or orange extension cord), or proper wiring methods (wire not chaffing on side of steel box) is a bad idea. 

Phew <wipes brows> , that was a close one. I am glad that black extension cord is OK :)

Jens

I detect some sarcasm!!  :P  You'll note I did list some of my more preffered wire types above.....  I wasn't saying that those were the only bad types of wire to use, I was just trying to think what would look the worst.  Other bad wire types:  Lamp cord, spark plug wire, bare copper, tin foil, COAX TV cable....  many bad choices, and you never know what people will try....

Steve
Power Anand 24/2, Brushless 20kW, some other antique iron.
Vendor of AVR's, Small Clones of Yanmar Diesel and Honda Gasoline Engines

Stan

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
The only rule is one common in life, size matters;D
Stan