Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lifting a CS  (Read 9529 times)

AdeV73

Lifting a CS
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
OK, here's a question. I'm hoping that, soon, I'll be the proud owner of a CS. Which is going to mean moving it around... By the sounds of it, the one I'm looking at is on a pallet, so the initial loading/unloading will be by fork-lift; but since I don't own a forklift, I will at some point have to consider lifting & moving the thing around myself.

I have an excellent engine hoist, which will be well capable of lifting the engine, and I have a warehouse trolley I can stick it on to trundle it about; but my question is - where to attach the hoist? I really don't fancy lifting it by the flywheels, as I'm sure that can't be doing the bearings, crankshaft, etc. any good; but on all the photos I've seen I haven't spotted any lifting eyes, or similar. So... where would you attach your engine lift?#

Thanks in advance!

NoSpark

• View Profile
Re: Lifting a CS
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
My 6/1 was on the back of my pickup for a while trying to figure out how to get a hold of it. I finally cut two pieces of  angle and drilled two holes, one hole for the cylinder head studs and one for the lifting chain. My engine had two longer studs in opposing corners with extra nuts already on them so I'm assuming that's what they were used for, I had to remove the rocker shaft. You could use the cylinder head nuts if you had to. I have since got some lifting eyes that thread onto the cylinder studs. I probably wouldn't lift it by the flywheels but I would lift by the shaft but then its awful awkward and top heavy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 02:36:02 PM by NoSpark »
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
Sling around the crankshaft housings and take precautions re centre of gravity.  I use ratchet straps  and take up any slack on either side or from top of engine as appropriate.  Probably not HSE approved but works if the teleporter/pallet option is not available.

Regards, RAB

AdeV73

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
Sling around the crankshaft housings and take precautions re centre of gravity.  I use ratchet straps  and take up any slack on either side or from top of engine as appropriate.  Probably not HSE approved but works if the teleporter/pallet option is not available.

I'm clean out of teleporters just now; but the straps around the crank housings sounds good.

I like NoSpark's idea too - I've used something similar on top of an Essex V6 engine (there's some "spare" threads drilled into the heads allowing a bar to be bolted on, which in turn can have straps threaded through it) - I'll use something in there to help keep it level when moving.

Cheers folks :)

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
Not sure if oliver meant the main bearing housings when he says crankshaft housings , but thats where I lifted mine with nylon strops in preference to chains. Strops don't concentrate force in small areas like chains do and also won't mark or damage the castings.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Stan

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:51:30 PM »
All above good advice, have used both head bolt and chain around the crank housings methods with appropriate safety precautions.  I've also moved it a 100' or so on 2x4 "rails" by removing the head and cylinder (along with piston and con rod of course)  and "rolling" it on the flywheels.  Just don't try and push it up a hill that way, even a little slope!  ::)

I now move it around while it's on it's 6x6 wooden beam mount with 1" pipe rollers under it.  Works great on a concrete floor if it's swept clean and level.  If you want a hernia, just sprinkle a little bit of invisible gravel on the floor though and try and push it around.  :o
STan

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:51:27 AM »
Here's what I attached to my 6/1:

http://utterpower.com/lifting_bar.htm

Here's what I used to provide lift force:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93840

However, I didn't lift the 6/1 with the flywheels installed. 

I also designed my engine stand to have removable cast iron caster wheels to allow moving the whole setup if required for major maintenance/overhaul.  The caster wheels are swapped out for the resilient mount for normal operation.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
I lifted my heavy flywheel CS to put it on a trailer by using 2 nylon slings of equal length. I positioned the round flywheel holes at TDC and then ran the sling through them along one side of the cylinder and put the ends of the sling in the lifting hook. Take the other sling and repeat as above but cut across the other side of the cylinder. This will prevent the tipping of the engine as it is cradled in between the slings. Measure the inside distance between the flywhell faces and cut a couple of pieces of hardwood lumber to be wedged between the flywheels to prevent any chance of them being pulled in and bending the crank. Not for the faint of heart but worked for me, after all it is only 800 lbs.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

AdeV73

Woohooo!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 08:27:38 PM »
Well, as of tonight, I now own not one, but two1 CS's!  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300289333093

Of course, being "stuck" out here in Spain2 is going to mean I can't do anything on them for a couple of months; but it gives me something to do over summer...

1 Well, 1.98 CS's... apparently there's "a few bolts" missing from the dismantled one. So that'll be the Project Engine, then :)
2 Enough with the sympathy already ;)  :-[

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
Nice one , good buy !! I was watching that and expected it to fetch more.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

AdeV73

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »

Me too - it was quite a surprise to get it that low. And thank ${DEITY} for auction sniping tools: We had the mother of all storms go overhead earlier today; my internet connection didn't recover until 15 mins past the auction close. Having missed out on a Lister late last year for similar reasons, I was determined not to let the same thing happen again....

What really sold me was this bit: "c/w pallet of spares including complete startomatic boxes and controls and alternator  with a complete but dismantled cs with frost damage to barrel" - I figured that gave me 1 good known working engine, possibly + enough bits to make a complete s-o-m; and a project CS to run on veggie oil, which I can attach to one of the broken old alternators I've got lying around in the shed somewhere (a 6kva unit, not sure what's wrong with it, but now I've an excuse to tear it down & take a look).

Guess who's a happy bunny  ;D

Stan

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »

That's $1099.29 Cdn for you canucks out there.
Stan

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »
  Kinda hard ta feel much sympathy for a guy just got 2 that's right 2 real listers for a grand. Envy yes,sympathy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nah ;D

glastry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:06:44 PM »
  Kinda hard ta feel much sympathy for a guy just got 2 that's right 2 real listers for a grand. Envy yes,sympathy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nah ;D

the first cs i bought cost about £200 -thats the 1953 one with the "standard" flywheels.
that was followed by a 1951 cs with the "heavy" flywheels- this one is a story in its self-!.sufficient to say that i bought it sight unseen
and for £80! (described to me as -in pieces).the seller turned out to be an absolute gentleman and occasionally still telephones to say
that he has "found another piece"!!
the punch line being that its starting to look like a complete engine.
the latest cs -is perhaps what i started off looking for, a complete lister cs startomatic- "not connected up-the electrics that is"- but after minor tuning
it starts beautifully-including today at -1 degrees.!!
this one cost £325 including a spare new injector.
the wee lister D and a parker water pump still lanquish in the corner of the shed.
the latest cs came in the back of my van (on and off by forklift)-
i was all chuffed to move it clear of the shed door on rollers!!
oh -me back hurts.
 try not to  let those flea-bay prices determine what we all have to pay
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:08:52 PM by glastry »

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
         May be off topic, but what the heck!  Found my CS 8/1 when a guy said "There's an old engine in my yard, and if you don't come and get it my wife will paint it pink
and hang her pot plants on it" Went round and found quite a tidy motor, just missing an injection pump. Loaded it up sounding suitably grateful, and thinking I knew where
ther may be a pump. Checked out the remains of a very derelict 12/2 I had seen, and yes, one rather siezed and sorry looking pump! With much patience it was freed and
cleaned, fitted, timed end primed,and Bingo---- ran like a new one! A little cosmetic work and it's now a tidy unit.  Later had the good luck to buy a dismantled VA at auction.
Turned out to be complete with SOM alternator but no remote starting gear,and in great condition, so I now have the brother and sister pair in the same series,one aircooled
and one watercooled. Sometimes you just get lucky.     Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.