Author Topic: warming the lister 6/1  (Read 7272 times)

halfcrazy

• View Profile
warming the lister 6/1
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
If anyone has been following my progress i am starting to think my lister doesnt like to start below freezing. i have set the cam timing and spill timing and valves etc. so a little background here

My lister is plumbed thru a flat plate exchanger into the hot and cold feed lines for my radiant floor and boiler mate lus the snow melt in the walkway. the heating system consists of a new yorker wood boiler. i have the lister water pump so after thinking about this i installed a taco circulator pump on the lister side and a zone valve and bypass loop on the house side. and a dial timer to control it all.

so here is what i do 15 minutes before i want to run the lister i turn the dial timer up to 15 minutes and that starts the hotwater from the wood boiler bypassing thru the plate exchanger as well as turning on the taco pump on the lister side. 15 minutes later the lister is toasty warm at 140-160 degrees and she fires first beat every time. and this works great for us we live off grid and most always have plenty of warning for needing the generator

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: warming the lister 6/1
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
That is a good idea.  They sure start and run better when warm.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »
I have thought about doing something like that.  That is, to use the hot water from the lister in a radiant floor system.  But is there enough hot water coming from the lister to really use?  Does any one know how many btu's of hot water is generate with flow rate?
Totally off Grid and Loving It :)
Omega 6/1
Powerline 12/1 7.5kw ST Generator

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
I have measured it a couple different times on my 6/1 and it is right around 17,000 BTU/HR at around 3KW of electrical generator load.  In my tests, and on my heatex configuration, the heat output stays pretty consistently around 1/3 of the BTU content of the fuel being used. That is 72F water to 120F water at 3/4GPM.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

spike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:43:43 PM »
Hello Halfcrazy

I too live off grid and run my 6/1 4-5hrs/day when it's cloudy. I have a 30gal tank that my listeroid thermosiphons to for cooling. When it is cold out, I rap the tank with an old army blanket when I turn off the engine and that keeps my 6/1 warm enough through reverse thermosiphoning to have an easy start the next morning.

Tim

PS One of these days I'll post pictures

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
I dont understand this reverse thermosiphoning.If the engine is lower than the tank then why would any heat flow back to the engine?

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:43:54 PM »
The engine thermo-siphons upwards when gererating heat and de-thermo-siphons downward when cooling.  The engine is a more efficient heat exchanger than the cooling or storage tank especially with that good old army wool blanket.  Pretty good guess, huh?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:58 PM »
Unless there's a thermostat involved.   ;D
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 12:17:56 AM »
Hey Stan,

If I've learned anything on this site; It's a guy just has to have a hole in his thermostat.  And that trickle would be just what the doctor ordered to keep this engine ready for a first thing in the morning cranking. 

Too much restriction to allow reverse thermo-siphoning, you say?  This would require a government funded double blind study to establish the validity of the theory.  You start the paperwork and in June when it comes through I'll go to England and pick-up a pair or four good solid units to do the testing with.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Stan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:36 AM »
Where do I apply for the grant?   ;D
Stan

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 07:21:58 AM »
Do I have to do everything?  Some of the brightest minds in the universe cruise this site.  So where does Stan apply?

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
Well this bloke here is not one of those brightest minds in the universe and cannot for the life of me see why warm water would travel downhill to somewhere colder.

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »
Density.  And amount of water in 2 areas and how much heat losses is there and heat in one spot.

Heated water rise because it is less dense than colder water which sinks, this set up thermsiphon.

Now, you got a cooler Lister and a tank filled with heated water, water will flow to the cooler lister while cold water in the lister sinking and is DRAWN into the warmer tank and got warmer, rises again.   So on.

Small pinch of used coffee grind bits in a pot of water, heat pot up on the elements, and watch coffee ground begin to circulate you will see thermsiphon in action.

Cheers, Wizard

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:33:50 PM »
Here's some interesting thermo-siphon stuff.  The oceans have immense currents based almost entirely on thermo-siphons of only a few degrees difference and change as a function earth’s solstice orientation.

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator