Author Topic: 10/1 OMEGA  (Read 44686 times)

billswan

• View Profile
10/1 OMEGA
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:08:41 AM »
Hello Everyone

Well the time has come to start reassembling my 10/1. 

I have put up some pix of the engine. http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=426

If anyone cares to take a look have at it. Excuse the mess in the shop that is the way some farm shops just are.

Right or wrong I painted the inside of the block gray hope that paint doesn't come off it is just high temp engine paint. Might be sorry if it does...........there are 3 coats in there.

Please feel free to critique any thing you may see any way you like.

Oh and I'm  not trying to assemble a  mechanical work of art here just build a reliable engine to run on waste motor oil.
And to you guys that have built works of art I am envious of you skills.
Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

billswan

• View Profile
Re: 10/1 OMEGA
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:28:51 AM »
1 more post today

Set the end play on the crank at about 0 to .001 inch, the indian assemblers had it at about .015 preload . All of the old paper shims in  a stack measured .135 inch and the new stack measures .150 to get to where I am at. Yes the engine did not turn free like it does now. Yes this is probably still under spec but my experience on the farm says set it tight , but never like it was. The original assemblers
were care less.

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=481

If anyone would care to chime in with the proper torque on the bolts that hold the main bearing carriers to the block that would be great.

Billswan
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:51:21 PM by billswan »

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
I don't have a clue about the torque on the bolts, but the swastika forging mark on the connecting rod is interesting.  Good pics and nice interior paint job.  Looks like you have a little ways to go to put it all back together!  :)
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »
hello mbryner

Yes the swastika is interesting I will put a link below so others can find it easily.

Anyone else seen such a mark on oid parts???

Billswan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:28:30 AM by billswan »

Stan

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
OK.....go back to the listerenginegallery.com, and on the big picture (click on the thumbnail if you already haven't) right click, choose "Copy Image Location".

Then come back to your message and choose modify, and then in the message click on the second icon from the left (over the winky smilie), then don't move the mouse as the cursor will be in the middle of all the java script stuff, do a ctrl+V.  That will paste the url of the picture from listerengine gallery.com into your message.

Here's what it will look like without the space and the X's I put in instead if the [ javascript sign, put in to demonstrate!     

Ximg] http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=492&g2_serialNumber=2 X/img]

th, th, th, th, th, that's all folks.
Stan

disclaimer.....I wasn't making fun of anyone who stutters, it was a reference to old elmer fudd and bugs bunny cartoons.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:48:39 AM by Stan »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:10:13 AM »
Hi,

I noticed you're still using spray can paint.  Once you go oil base metal friendly paint with a brush you'll never go back to rattle cans.

And if that's a messy workshop I'm embarrassed that Stan saw my maze AKA "The Shop".

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:31:58 AM »
Thanks stan

Now I  understand the secret hand shake code!!!!!!!!
Got the pix up so people don't have to chase links.

Billswan

Stan

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »
Hey Casey....I'm the one that pried my frozen fuel pump apart and admitted to the whole forum that all the parts flew to the far corners of my ultra-messy shop!  ::)
Stan

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
Yes the swastika is interesting I will put a link below so others can find it easily.   Anyone else seen such a mark on oid parts???

I don't believe it is a swastika.  I believe it is an Indian (perhaps Buddhist) good luck symbol.  I don't recall where I initially read and formed that impression, however, I have that symbol on my PS (Jackson) 6/1 too.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
Bob's correct, at least that's what I learned long ago.  The mad one-testacled paperhanger that caused all that trouble was into Hindu mysticism at one point in his mania, and coopted the symbo as that of his Third Reichl.

Still, I think it's more fun to tell folks that the tooling for some parts of this engine were found in a bombed-out engine plant that the Allies took over in 1946.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »
The Swastika can be found in many cultures throughout history, funnily enough I have a swastika style symbol in a traditional style polynesian tattoo on my shoulder.
As already stated God Luck seems to be an accepted translation,  I guess the Indians are also using Karmic mysticism as a means of design longevity and PM for their engines.  ;D

Cheers
Nobby
2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
Good morning Guys

Well looks like this engine needs some help from, is it xyzer (sorry if i spelled that wrong) .

The dial indicator in the pix below says the cam gear has .050 inch backlash.  That is with the crank held still and the bronze intermediate gear allowed to turn. So what should the backlash be? I will guess less than .009 inch that sticks in my mind, think I read it some where on the form???????

PLEASE help!!!!!

12 gauge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
billswan,
What I did on my 6/1 was to make an adjustable idler gear spindle for determining the correct amount of offset.  It's made in 2 pieces with a small machine screw thru the center and a nut you can tighten to set it.  The hole thru center is oversize to allow for adjustment.  Assemble your idler gear with a strip of typing paper (about .003"-.004") between the gear teeth at camshaft gear and the crankshaft pinion.  Hold the idler gear tightly meshed and tighten the nut on the adjustable spindle, then remove it carefully so as not to disturb the adjustment.  Measure the amount of offset.  Mine was .029" as I recall, and in the finished engine the lash is quite small although I didn't measure it.  It's got about 75 hours on it now and seems to operate quietly which I take as a good sign.  Hope this gives you some ideas.
BTW do a search for torque of bolts online and you'll find charts for all different sizes and grades of bolts.
Best luck,
RH

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:02:10 AM »
Hello 12 gauge

Took some time thinking about your post, must have read it 4 times +.
I finally grasp what you were saying!

So then you would have a pattern to build a new offset Idler after and it would be right the first time.

Billswan

12 gauge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 07:13:21 AM »
billswan,
Now you've got it.  It was my solution to taking some hard to do measurements and making a bunch of calculations plus I have the tool for the next engine I do.
Keep us informed on your interesting project.
RH