Author Topic: shopping trip report - what is it ?  (Read 2884 times)

amashinga

• View Profile
shopping trip report - what is it ?
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:06:52 PM »
If you read my last thread you will know that I decided to buy an SR2 rather than a CD, pretty much for financial reasons only, but the extra HP will be nice.  I went off to look at things this morning.  Friendly seller, the deal was exactly as described, 2 non running listers for $250, one an SR2 in pieces, one of unknown origin.  The SR2 had the heads and starter motor removed, the rest was intact.  I was actually pleased with that because I could inspect the bores.  Everything was A-OK, everything had been put neatly in boxes on a paper base and carefully labelled, and everything was there.  Although the engine requires work, I am confident that there are no hidden surprises for me.  He also had a photocopy of the SR2 operators manual, and an original parts manual.  Bonus.

On to the rest of the deal.  He threw in an old BS gasser which I had no interest in, except that it had a strap mounted gas tank that was in surprisingly good condition, and happens to be the exact piece I am missing off my struck mini dozer.  The carb also looked interesting.  This junk engine was bolted to a 5kw gen head which will probably never work again, but may just end up saving me quite a bit of money if I can find spares.  The price was right anyway.

Now the second engine.  It is exactly as advertised, all in one piece, turns over, he has never run it.  The engine has no serial number plate, so I dont know what it is, but I am sure that someone here will be able to tell me in a second  :) (See pics below)

All in all, not a bad haul for $250 I think.  Its a small-ish lister, two small flywheels, one spoked, one with a 2 belt pulley.  Excuse the straps and dolly in the pictures, its still on the truck.

Left front with spoked flywheel

Right front with v-belt pulley

Back of engine

Thanks !!!

amashinga

• View Profile
Re: shopping trip report - what is it ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:00:13 AM »
Peter on Smokstak narrowed it down to an LD or SL.

needenginerunnin

• interested in state of the ARK technology.
    • View Profile
Re: shopping trip report - what is it ?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
evening all

'Peter on Smokstak narrowed it down to an LD or SL.'

although some parts of the engine look a bit LD ish, i would say it's a SL.
ld's are low power out put 2-3hp ish, sl more like 5hp
if the cowling on the side is alloy then sl, all ld's i have seen are tin.

cheers needenginerunnin
1949 6/1 electric smooth flywheels & ST 7.5, som base x3, cast indoor silencer X2.
1950's 6/1 som x2, spoked 6/1, LD1 som.
listerpetter LV2, PH1,LD1,SR1, PAZ1, AA1, LT1, AC1. 3.5hp yan clone.
politician's are like nappies, they need changing for the same reason.
take the pi$$ , full of sh#t.