Author Topic: Electrical grid fragility  (Read 20825 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical grid fragility
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 04:31:30 AM »
Here in on the big island of Hawaii we could get twice or three times the energy from geothermal but HELCO (that's the company from Hell) won't improve lines to the site.  They're currently getting (Nov bill 1476 KW for 649.56 = .44 per KW) 44 cents a KW and they don't have enough money to build infrastructure to cheaper and far cleaner sources.  Ah Paradise.  We're talking 40 miles to their largest market - user.  And you think you're frustrated.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »
That must be the 'lo' in aloha.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:20 AM »
Casey,

Didn't you folks have problems with the Native Hawaiians claiming that geothermal energy was incompatible with their religious beliefs with respect to Madame Pele the Fire Goddess?  I heard the politicians, especially the haoles, were competing to see who could kowtow the lowest to the natives' demands to not drill for geothermal energy, thus stealing Madame Pele's fire.  Is that still a problem?

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
I heard some story like that too but that was 10 plus years ago and that's not what Helcos saying now.  This is not to say Hawaii is not the center of the universe for Nay sayers.  In some ways it's absolutely madening here while at the same time totally beautiful.  It's a careful balance to not become West LA as has Honolulu and parts of Maui.  I don't know which is more distressing.  The 44 cents a KW or staying with a dirty habit like diesel powered turbines for electricity.  Hawaii is much like New York and Chicago only the insider relationships are more important. ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:38:02 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Sfene

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »
Dont forget most utilities are publicly regulated, so their profits are guaranteed by the state (in the U.S.). The local Dpt of utility control (or the equivalent) sets the electric rates.

So you see why they are not in a rush to get you cheaper electricity, they make money no matter what happens. Thats why utilities are a good place to park your money in a bad market. Virtually guaranteed returns, not a lot, but very safe.

Sfene

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 12:54:37 AM »
THIS year, I'm armed and ready with a decent generator that's always plumbed in and ready to go... and the first week of January is almost ended and the power hasn't gone off for even a minute!  :P

Don't you hate it when you WANT a disaster to be able to try out the new gear?  :D

I waited a year and a half for the power to go out before I could try my converted 7kw RV genset. Haven't used it since, that was 2 years ago. Power doesn't go out long enough to drag it out. I just throw the ancient 300w Honda at it (unless I need water or heat).
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

jzeeff

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 04:04:44 AM »
Where are those Enron guys when you need them.....

At $.44/kwh, solar electricity should start to look attractive. 

TimSR2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 05:07:44 AM »
Hehe I agree with Macgyver. It's like that over here. I am more prepared than I have ever been in my life. I have a hefty two cylinder diesel genset, load tested for many 4 to 6 hour full power  tests, and enough fuel for 48 hours continuous running . Magnetic oil pan warmer installed to keep the oil hot in case I need it.  Record winter storms for weeks now, neighborhoood is full of tall trees  ready to fall over and the damn power won't go off.

It's like when I used to ride Motorcycles, I had an axiom: If you have a patch kit you will never get a flat, but if you do not have a patch kit you will be stranded at the worst possible time.

TimSR2

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 05:38:37 AM »
44 cents a KW does make Solar look better.  Unfortunately, the state with the best solar window in all 50 states has no solar suport program.  In many states we could get gobs of money in grants.  Not a tax credit but actual grants.  Tax credits are nice but nothing says your government loves you like a grant. 

Our plan is to cash in on the Obama green machine programs with hopes of making Karl Marx blush.  Did I mention we're a small farm and B&B.  Energy independence has a nice ring to it as well.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 04:01:56 AM »
I've been saying for quite some time that most utility companies are con artists. Take us (my dad and I) for example, Fortis Alberta wants $28,000 for bringing grid power 1 mile to the house, + brushing + transformer + hookup to breaker panel. Just today I went over to a friends home to check out why the main breaker on the pole/meeter keeps tripping on them. It is a 35 amp breaker, supplying a breaker panel in the house with a 100 amp main breaker. Fortis says that to put a 100 amp breaker at the pole it would cost them $80 extra per month compared to the 35 amp breaker. Now tell me how 35 amps can run a dryer, well pump, block heaters, etc for a family of 5? ::)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

Stan

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 04:37:19 AM »
He needs a locomotive driving a generator!  ;D
Stan

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 02:07:16 AM »
I did some research not too long ago on the stability of the grid here in Tucson. Found out that we only have a 10% fudge factor at best.  :P

The grid here is barely able to feed everyone due to the the growth in population here.

Lots of brown out's and such going on. 
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3